In SLAM process

Tested at 7am 7/8/19
FC 5
added 3.3gal & brushed it

I've been reading s SWCG pool is "less" maintenance. We are gone a lot on the weekends I think it is a good idea to convert this back to a salt water pool. I will continue to SLAM until it's gtg and continue to read about "how" to convert but that is my goal.

I'd also like to find out how to make it "automated" ie. an app to help maintain as we are not home.
Any help on that is definitely appreciated.

Attachments

• 070819_0800am.JPG
    070819_0800am.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 50
It is NOT! It adds metals to your water as copper or silver and its a No-No in TFP. Since you mentioned it and have well water, next time you are going to drive by the poolstore take a water sample and have it tested for metals Only. They will try to give advice, just ignore them and walk out and post the result. Most likely the water has been exchanged enough since the use of Permasalt system to not matter.

It is NOT! It adds metals to your water as copper or silver and its a No-No in TFP. Since you mentioned it and have well water, next time you are going to drive by the poolstore take a water sample and have it tested for metals Only. They will try to give advice, just ignore them and walk out and post the result. Most likely the water has been exchanged enough since the use of Permasalt system to not matter.
I'm sure it won't be an issue (at least from the PermaSalt). It's been out of commission for just over a year and with all the water I had to drain (my CYA was 190 in May) only metals from my well would register.

So at this point if I want to change this to a SWCG I'm looking at a whole new "system"?

I expect to get this pool beautiful before Friday. Problem is we will be leaving Friday am and coming back home on Sunday afternoon/evening. What can I do to keep my progress at the same level? How do I add chlorine without adding CYA?

Please help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I might be able to help with chlorine if you find yourself in a bind. I also saw that you might want to install an SWCG. I can give you a name of the company that installed my SWCG if you’re not a DIY type. They are very TFP-friendly and even taught me about the chlorine/CYA relationship and told me to buy the Taylor K-2006 kit to do my own testing. Send me a PM if you’re interested.

Reactions: IceShadow
I might be able to help with chlorine if you find yourself in a bind. I also saw that you might want to install an SWCG. I can give you a name of the company that installed my SWCG if you’re not a DIY type. They are very TFP-friendly and even taught me about the chlorine/CYA relationship and told me to buy the Taylor K-2006 kit to do my own testing. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
I appreciate your offer to help although I found a solution. A friend will be staying here while we are gone to care for my place, animals and pool.

Tracy

Sounds like you're well on your way to a clear pool. If you can find a way to keep SLAM level 'till your pool is passes the SLAM complete criteria it's best. Travel schedules can present a problem with TFP methods. I had big problems with this and ran higher than target FC for most of the trips but I didn't have a liner to worry about. Eventually I did what you're considering and switched to SWG. It wasn't too hard for a DIY. Once you get your SLAM done people here can help you either find an installer or recommend the different DIY not approaches. As I enter this post I'm at the airport on my way out of town for several days of unplanned business trip and it's wonderful not having to worry about the pool. SWG is a great way to make TFP very manageable even for people that have to travel. Plus my wife loves the feel of the water. She says it feels like a spa and she never wants to go back to the non-swg water.

Congrats on the great SLAM progress and good luck!

Chris

Tracy

Sounds like you're well on your way to a clear pool. If you can find a way to keep SLAM level 'till your pool is passes the SLAM complete criteria it's best. Travel schedules can present a problem with TFP methods. I had big problems with this and ran higher than target FC for most of the trips but I didn't have a liner to worry about. Eventually I did what you're considering and switched to SWG. It wasn't too hard for a DIY. Once you get your SLAM done people here can help you either find an installer or recommend the different DIY not approaches. As I enter this post I'm at the airport on my way out of town for several days of unplanned business trip and it's wonderful not having to worry about the pool. SWG is a great way to make TFP very manageable even for people that have to travel. Plus my wife loves the feel of the water. She says it feels like a spa and she never wants to go back to the non-swg water.

Congrats on the great SLAM progress and good luck!

Chris
What issues will I run into if I run a higher FC level for the few days? We are to be out of town for the next 3 weekends in July so I definitely need to convert. & you mentioned the different DIY NOT approaches. What is this?
I am a DIY person and am pretty handy so hopefully that'll save a few $.

Have a great trip & thank you
Tracey

What issues will I run into if I run a higher FC level for the few days? We are to be out of town for the next 3 weekends in July so I definitely need to convert. & you mentioned the different DIY NOT approaches. What is this?
I am a DIY person and am pretty handy so hopefully that'll save a few $.

Have a great trip & thank you
Tracey

Tracy,

At some level FC can damage your liner or at least discolor it. But you can always go to SLAM level with no problem. I'm not an expert on this so I'll ask @kimkats to provide additional information on potential liner damage from FC. For me SLAM level or less was sufficient most of the time. For longer duration trips I'd run my CYA in the low end of the range and use trichlor tablets. As soon as I got back I'd switch back to liquid. So I never got above the CYA target. Works fine so long as you don't do it so many times the CYA gets out of range.

Chris

Reactions: Tracey R
Good morning!
Last night FC was 13, added 1.5 gal
This morning at 6:30 FC was 12, added 1.7 gal & brushed
At 9:15am, FC 20.5
Will check again after 30 min.

Am I "close"? If I keep on it is there a high probability it'll be clear by Friday morning?

Attachments

• 071019_0720am.JPG
    071019_0720am.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 071019_0915am.JPG
    071019_0915am.JPG
    516.1 KB · Views: 38

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.