In-ground pool drain tips

PlanoAg98

Oct 31, 2019
Plano, TX
I've read that you should drain/refill your pool every 3-5 years. This seems like a very simple tasks so I wanted to learn how to do it myself. Is it as simple as dropping the sump pump down in the deep end and discharging into your sewer and then from the garden hose? I've read some on the web about the pool popping out?

I've read that you should drain/refill your pool every 3-5 years.
Welcome to TFP! :wave: That sounds like a pool store myth. Simply not required. The only ones who may need to do a large water exchange each year are those who have used cal-hypo (calcium) products too long or live in areas with VERY hard water to where their CH level reaches extremely high levels. The other main reason some need to change water is due to a high CYA from excessive stabilizer use (i.e. pucks/tabs used too much). But other than that, water is good and doesn't just get old. Stick around and checkout our tips and sub-forums to learn more. We're happy to help.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: Donldson
Welcome to TFP!

+1 to everything Pat said, draining water isn't something to be done on a schedule and only when a problem exists that water replacement would correct. You are right, however, that draining water from the pool has its risks. A vinyl pool should never be drained to the point where the liner is exposed or the liner may shift. All pools are at risk of popping if completely drained, but the extent of that risk is largely dependent on the water table and pool construction.

I am trying to correct high CYA. It's really high and have chlorine lock. I
How high is the CYA? When we bought our house, the previous owner only used pucks and our CYA was 90. Yes, it took a lot of chlorine, but we didn't drain it. Over the period of several months, the natural water exchange (evaporation and rain and topping off during the summer) it's down to 50 (it was 40, but used pucks for a while due to vacation). Could I have drained? Yes, but I am paranoid about "floating" the pool, so just dealt with the higher chlorine requirements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.