I'm new to pools and ready to learn!

raf_bucks

Jan 24, 2023
Chicago, IL
Hey TFP,

I just bought a house and it's got a in ground pool. In all honesty, it was one of the deciding factors when we bought it even though I'm in the midwest and can only use it so many months out of the year. I never thought I'd get the chance to own a pool because of the cost but here I am! Hoping to learn a few things right away, maybe you can help me out:

1. How much does it cost you to maintain a year?
  2. What do you do to it to prepare for spring/summer months?
  3. Where do you get supplies?

Welcome to TFP 👋
Being ready to learn is the most important part so you’re off to a great start ! ✅

Check out the pool care basics link @Newdude posted & bookmark it. Read each article to get a better understanding of what is needed & what’s not.
Do your best to fill out your signature so folks can give you the most accurate advice if you have questions.

To answer your specific questions:
1: Cost to maintain during the swim season varies by the pool for a few reasons -
- a larger pool volume requires larger chemical additions than a smaller pool.
- some swim seasons are longer & hotter than others (example: your pool will cost less to chlorinate/maintain than the same pool in a tropical location)
- for a manually chlorinated pool you pay for liquid chlorine as you go, with a salt water chlorine generator the cost is mostly upfront
- the type of pump you have & your electricity rates
2: Opening your pool- An easy to follow guide
3: You can buy liquid chlorine at Walmart, Home Depot, menards, ace, etc. or a local pool/cleaning supply that may offer bulk liquid chlorine. Same with cya & baking soda or washing soda if needed.
You can buy muriatic acid at most any of those as well except walmart.
The deets on each chem is in the
Recommended Pool Chemicals article inside the pool care basics link.

If you have any questions feel free to ask 👍🏻