I'm about done with SWG

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
I heard a lot of hype on this board about how SWGs were so much better than "regular" chlorine systems.

I have to say guys, I'm not impressed.

It feels about the same to me as using bleach as your chlorine source.

Here's a list of the headaches that SWG has caused me so far (only 10 months of use):

1. Can't use it for 7 months out of the year because the water is too cold
2. SWG built-in salt level detector is garbage and not anywhere in the same universe as the K-2006 test
3. Pain in the Rear water or acid washing of the SWG
4. Bad cell with only 3-4 months of usage
5. Enormous pH rise resulting in me having to dump minimum of 2 cups/day of muriatic acid
6. Chipping of the flagstone due to salt water splash

Chlorox bleach and pucks solves all of those problems. PH has been remarkably stable, I'm not having to put in acid every day, I get the bonus of also controlling CYA without having to use the stupid sock or liquid CYA by carefully adding a puck or two every few weeks.

In short, I was sold a bunch of nonsense about SWGs. Can't tell a difference on the feel of the water, and it's MORE work than just using chlorox bleach and occassional pucks.

Funny, I have three saltwater pools all with the same exact EasyTouch and IC40 and I have none of those issues.. I am also here in the DFW area...

The only difference is you and me... What does that tell ya??? :mrgreen:

75% of SWCG "failures" are operator errors... My SWCG is off for about 3 months in the winter, so you must live in a much colder spot that I do.

Flagstone flakes no matter what water you are using.

Sorry it did not work out for you....

Jim R.

I heard a lot of hype on this board about how SWGs were so much better than "regular" chlorine systems.

Here's a list of the headaches that SWG has caused me so far (only 10 months of use):

2. SWG built-in salt level detector is garbage and not anywhere in the same universe as the K-2006 test
5. Enormous pH rise resulting in me having to dump minimum of 2 cups/day of muriatic acid

Chlorox bleach and pucks solves all of those problems. PH has been remarkably stable, I'm not having to put in acid every day, I get the bonus of also controlling CYA without having to use the stupid sock or liquid CYA by carefully adding a puck or two every few weeks.

In short, I was sold a bunch of nonsense about SWGs. Can't tell a difference on the feel of the water, and it's MORE work than just using chlorox bleach and occassional pucks.
You forgot if something goes wrong they blow up ;)
I do want to get one but both by Home AC systems had to be replaced so no pool money! FYI was told the older R22 systems cant be charged next year Or if they do will be around $500 a pd!

Seems to me that if the cell went out in 3-4mos, that would be a form of a warranty issue, no?

FWIW, I have a new pool this year and chose not to put salt in and use the SWCG that I have. I found it to be enough hassle that going back to adding bleach every day sounded like a fine way to live. On the other hand, I'm around so I can do it. If I was going on vacations much, I'd want the SWCG.

Wow! Sorry you had a bad cell sounds like! My stone was chipping before we turned ours in (within the first 30 days of pool install) The stone that gets the most splash is chipping the worst, however it is also a darker stone. I have a few of those and it's like they have a thin veneer of dark... I expect all the dark ones will do the same. I am so glad I chose the lightest color stone offered. ?

Also TX, but since I'm new to SWG idk how much mine will run. I know I'm warmer than DFW. plus a heater.

So far since ours has been on, I've used much less acid, like waay less. But new plaster uses more, so there's that. Also my ALk was high and I have it down, so that helps keep my pH down and I have 0 water features. Me and an 18mth old don't splash too much either. (All contributing factors ya know).

All in all, I love not dumping stuff in daily. And my concern about acid is not happening.

I can't address the auto reading as im not sure mine does that. It might...I'm still learning. Lol and of course, I haven't had to clean it.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

Wow! Opposite experience to me. I switched to salt this year after 4+ with liq chlorine plus occasional pucks. Only 4 months in but I love it and no sign whatsoever of deposits in the cell. I do monitor/maintain water balance closely, including CSI. Just got back from 16 day vacation and no worries about FC, it was the same when I got back. pH did go high but I had someone add MA at the half-way point and CSI was always within range.. I do also use borates to stabilize pH. I don't every shut down the pool since I live in S Florida. If I had to shut it off 7 months due to temp I would probably just add the salt and use liquid plus pucks also. Wife loves the salt water feel... Some people hate it though. Seems like a lot of the difference in our experience is personal preference and weather. 3 month cell life is not. Either defective cell or bad water chemistry or a little of both.

Goof luck to you.

Chris

We just recently replaced our 8 year old salt cell that had NEVER been "cleaned" (never needed it) and worked a charm for all those years. Rarely had to add acid-maybe 2-3x per season?

That said it was oversized for our pool which helped a lot.

Can you provide an example of your pool test results- we may be able to spot what your problem with acid needs are?

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems to me that if the cell went out in 3-4mos, that would be a form of a warranty issue, no?

FWIW, I have a new pool this year and chose not to put salt in and use the SWCG that I have. I found it to be enough hassle that going back to adding bleach every day sounded like a fine way to live. On the other hand, I'm around so I can do it. If I was going on vacations much, I'd want the SWCG.
Agreed. I travel quite a bit, and currently can't count on anyone at home to handle the duties for me. I'd rather use liquid 10%, but the SWCG gives me peace of mind that when I get back home, I won't have a cess pool waiting. :ROFLMAO: Of course, I traded one set of issues for another -- rising CYA and bouncing FCL all over to now rising PH, dropping CYA -- but you gotta pick what works best for you based on your own situation.

Hmm... I wonder what I did differently than most with my pH? Mine never seems to rise though I run my SWG 24/7. Of course I haven't had my SWG a year yet, so I will refrain on commenting on the other aspects of the OP. However I have been on 2 - two week vacations, 1 wedding (week long), and 1 funeral (also a week trip) and have not worried one bit about my pool. Besides the fact that I do not get to get into it as much as last year because of all the trips, I really love the fact that I never need anyone to watch it or have to run to Walmart to load up on chlorine.

Reactions: drimran
Platon - Since our SWG is being installed next week and I'm also in DFW, I'm happy you shared your experience. I looked at your old posts and you posted PH as 8.7 at one point and 6.3 another. If those readings are accurate, I would assume that played a huge part in your flagstone and equipment issues. Regardless, if your cell is under warranty I would get it replaced even if you dont intend to use it for the time being.

I don’t think you can blame the SWG for not being able to use your pool due to cold water- buy a heater, problem solved.
Saltwater readings are unreliable, that’s why it’s recommended to get the K1766 kit, just keep the cell happy and monitor with the K1766.
How many times have you Acid washed the cell? If proper chemistry is maintained you shouldn’t have to Acid wash at all, maybe why yours doesn’t work anymore?
If you get your TA level set properly you shouldn’t have to add much Acid at all, I keep my TA at 50-60 and probably add 2-3 cups a year.
SWG makes pool ownership and maintenance a breeze, I’m in my 3rd year and actually find it boring to maintain and secretly hope for an algae outbreak so I can give a slam a go just for the fun of it.
Sorry the SWG didn’t work out for you but I wouldn’t get rid of mine for anything.

Salty

Anode 4Cl -> 2Cl2.
Cathode 4H2O -> 2H2 + 4OH.
2Cl2 +2H2O -> 3H + HOCl + OCl.
HOCl + OCl + uv light -> O2 + H + 2Cl.
Following the process, we can see that there are 4H and 4OH created, which nets out to ph neutral.

Here's the chemistry that shows where the pH rise is created (OH-) and where the pH drop is created (H+)

As long as number of hydrogen ions equals the number of hydroxide ions, the process is pH neutral.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.