I'm a failure for father's day

Reactions: markayash and Bille
Quick question, I'm using about 6 cups a day of 12.5%. Does that sound normal? Cya is still at 30, but going to get it to 40 in the next day or so. Water is clear. I check it once per day and it's normally around 1ppm fc. One other thing to note is it gets a lot of sun. The water feels 85-90 degrees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We use these (3+ Golden Retrievers)

Congrats on your success with the pool!
Hair nets work also but seems like they were in short supply last time I looked.
I pictured a person wearing a hair net standing in front of 1000 rolls of TP and 50 gallons of bleach saying " I am ready"

I check it once per day and it's normally around 1ppm fc.
This part scares me. Your minimum FC is 2 for a CYA of 30. If you are letting it get down to 1, you are at risk of letting algae take hold again and having to SLAM.

If you are adding 6 cups, that adds 4 FC to your pool, so you are only taking it up to 5 FC, which is in the middle of your target range (4-6). Dont be afraid to take it up to 6FC or even a bit higher to give yourself room for daily FC burnoff without risking dropping below the minimum FC.

And if you are taking your CYA up to 40, your new minimum is a FC of 3. If needed, the FC/CYA chart is in my signature.

This part scares me. Your minimum FC is 2 for a CYA of 30. If you are letting it get down to 1, you are at risk of letting algae take hold again and having to SLAM.

If you are adding 6 cups, that adds 4 FC to your pool, so you are only taking it up to 5 FC, which is in the middle of your target range (4-6). Dont be afraid to take it up to 6FC or even a bit higher to give yourself room for daily FC burnoff without risking dropping below the minimum FC.

He is right, I played the "min FC game" and spent a week paying for it after a heavy spring rain.

So I don't want to vac it right now because my vac goes right into the filter and if it gets too clogged I'm scared I'll have to swap it and lose my CYA that's still desolving.

But I did just drag the net and pulled up a ton of leaves and brown stuff. My 13 year old son lied when he said he already cleaned it so now he is out there scooping up tons of leaves from the bottom.

But that has me worried to, the water is turning brown and my filter just went into the red on the gauge. Is it ok to swap the filter or no because of the cya added yesterday?

View attachment 148098
It's a tedious task, and you'll lose some cya, but I had the same problem with the debris in my pool, and this is what I did to fix it. You're gonna be wasting water so you're cya might drop, but it really helped love things along. Get a shop vac and put the end of the poolvac hose in the end of the shop vac hose and suck that ish out. It takes a lot of time depending on how many gals your shop vac can hold, but it's worth it. I attached pics of right before I vacced and then my pool now. I'm not done slamming (just finished day 13), but I can tell you it helped to get all the gunk out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_141955075.jpg
    IMG_20200703_141955075.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200715_071946450.jpg
    IMG_20200715_071946450.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 34
How much should I raise my cya? It's still at 30 from the slam and I'm going to need to add an inch of water which is going to thin it out.

My pool gets a lot of sun. Right now it's going through 4 gals of 12.5% in 5-6 days.

I bought 4 gals last Wednesday and I just finished the last one.

I have to check it twice a day to stay on top of it. This morning at 9am I brought it up to 7 ppm. When I got home at 7pm and tested it was at 0.5 ppm. The water is clear and clean, but it's getting risking.

I think I can slow it down by upping my cya but I'm not sure how far to take it. I know 1 pound equals 10 cya. I have like 3-4 pounds on hand. But, like I said I also have to add water, the deep end skimmer is low.

^ what she said.

I also go back to my post a week ago when you were letting your FC drop well below the minimums. Unfortunately that could be the window of opportunity for the algae to return. If you do have to do another SLAM it should be much less painful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.