I'm a failure for father's day

Pics attached. Note that the pool hasn't been repainted in many years.

It slowed down a little bit with the sun getting over the trees:
4:50pm: 6fc, took it to 13 (a whole gallon)
6:45pm: 13fc, added nothing

Attachments

• 013BE646-2214-4107-BEDF-3440A0640D3D.jpeg
    013BE646-2214-4107-BEDF-3440A0640D3D.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 27
  • F83BDA9C-2E00-409E-A11F-8394ABD0A144.jpeg
    F83BDA9C-2E00-409E-A11F-8394ABD0A144.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5C433144-6509-4DA6-8004-F6E97717F28F.jpeg
    5C433144-6509-4DA6-8004-F6E97717F28F.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
And up your CYA a little to be a solid 30. 20 is too low you want a little more than that even slammimg

I think so too, I haven't added anything between 6:45pm and 8:00am and it went from 13fc to 10fc. The sun is killing it.

Edit: I added 1 pound of cya to the skimmer. Will check it around 10am to see if FC is 6-7 to do a full test

Last edited:
Something funny happened with the cya sock.
I put it in the skimmer but with no basket because the water flow seemed better. I tied the sock off at the end and used the skimmer lid to hold it in place.

my kid checked it and didn't put the lid back in place. So when I checked it the sock was gone. My kid said there was still a lot left in the sock when he checked it.

so it got sucked in and we found it at the access portal on the pump. The sock was still tied but no more cya in it.

What do you guys think? Did I just stumble on a quick way to add cya? Maybe I should be putting the sock in the airlock thing on the pump from now on? Or does this mean all the cya is in the filter?

Last edited:
Something funny happened with the cya sock.
I put it in the skimmer but with no basket because the water flow seemed better. I tied the sock off at the end and used the skimmer lid to hold it in place.

my kid checked it and didn't put the lid back in place. So when I checked it the sock was gone. My kid said there was still a lot left in the sock when he checked it.

so it got sucked in and we found it at the access portal on the pump. The sock was still tied but no more cya in it.

What do you guys think? Did I just stumble on a quick way to add cya? Maybe I should be putting the sock in the airlock thing on the pump from now on? Or does this mean all the cya is in the filter?
roto-rooter CYA style

Reactions: Bille
So far today:
8:30am 11fc bumped to 13
12:15pm 11fc bumped to 13.
Oh and this big brown thing grew in there, see the picture.

Edit: Bottom still has spots that feel slippery. Also I notice while the water is clear enough to see a coin flip at the bottom, swimming for 30 mins clouds it up. I'm assume that's my weak filter.

Attachments

• E4F0A00B-AD7F-40FC-B396-64400F3865A0.jpeg
    E4F0A00B-AD7F-40FC-B396-64400F3865A0.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something just doesnt add up, but lets take a step back for a second and look at the facts:
- This is not your pool, it is a rental and as I understand it you are moving before next swim season
- You are in Maryland and it is the first of August... so maybe 45-60 days of swimming left?
- You have been messing with this for more than half the swim season

Assuming the above is correct, I would give up on the SLAM *big GASP from the crowd*
I would still test daily and add chlorine daily, but give up on testing and adding multiple times a day and just enjoy the pool for the next several weeks.

• Sad
Reactions: mguzzy and Bille
Something just doesnt add up, but lets take a step back for a second and look at the facts:
- This is not your pool, it is a rental and as I understand it you are moving before next swim season
- You are in Maryland and it is the first of August... so maybe 45-60 days of swimming left?
- You have been messing with this for more than half the swim season

Assuming the above is correct, I would give up on the SLAM *big GASP from the crowd*
I would still test daily and add chlorine daily, but give up on testing and adding multiple times a day and just enjoy the pool for the next several weeks.

before I give up, let me ask (my engineering brain wont let it go), is it possible for bad chlorine to show up in the test but not actually kill anything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.