I'm a failure for father's day

Do not use a pressure washer. You will likely damage the plaster. Best to use a high power trash pump and get as much of the solids out as possible when draining. Be ware that draining entails risks to the pool structure. If you are unsure of your local water tables, research that before you drain.

When I moved in back in 2018 the owners drained it and cleaned it with a pressure washer.

No need to pressure wash. If you do use a wide spray and a few feet away you dont want to etch it.
Check your water bill it will have the gallons rate. It costs me 18 bucks to fill my 14k gallons in NJ. Even if you get most of the water out and then clean the bottom you will be in good shape. To successfully slam the bottom needs to have nothing organic in it. Will take weeks to clear up with scum in the bottom. Water delivery near me is about 400ish for 7k gallons not cheap

Reactions: Bille
With my tap water having a CH of 25, should I go ahead and order Calcium Chloride now? The app says I'll need 47 pounds to go from 25 to 450?
It probably would not be a bad idea, but I would shoot for half of what is recommended since it is much easier to add more. If you overshoot the mark you will end up with scaling and have to drain some again.
Do you have enough CYA to raise your new pool water to 30 for the SLAM?

It probably would not be a bad idea, but I would shoot for half of what is recommended since it is much easier to add more. If you overshoot the mark you will end up with scaling and have to drain some again.
Do you have enough CYA to raise your new pool water to 30 for the SLAM?

I'm picking up a 5 pound bag from the pool store of CYA and will put 3 pounds in a sock as soon as the pool is filled. I think I'll buy the smallest bag of CH as well and adjust it later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've heard ladders can harbor algae and can be tough to clean. Since it is drained, can you temporarily remove the ladder to clean it?

Looking good. Do you have CYA to get it to 30, and liquid chlorine to do a quick SLAM? Hopefully you are swimming by the 4th.

Looking good. Do you have CYA to get it to 30, and liquid chlorine to do a quick SLAM? Hopefully you are swimming by the 4th.

I picked up a 5 pound bag of stabilizer, I'm planning to use 3 pounds and I have 8 bottles of 12.5% liquid shock.

My plan is:
1. Wait for water to get up to skimmer level
2. Turn on pump, I'm going to leave the filter cartridge out for now for max pressure.
3. Get a water sample, before shock.
4. Add cya in sock.
5. Bring pool up to 15 shock level (12 is target but I have to stay above that).
6. Swim!

Just keep it around 12 for a day or two and then swim. Dont swim above slam level it's not recommended. Water will clear with just elevated FC levels. I'm glad you bit the bullet and drained and cleaned it. Was more in there than you thought

Reactions: Bille

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.