I'm a failure for father's day

you are brushing as well and scoping as much off the bottom as you can one leaf decaying in the pool is to much it will just use the bleach I missed the cya keep at it. btw it takes as much bleach as it takes to kill everything if your low got to get more. im new but i would run it with filter or i dont see the point of running the pump, but im new so.

That is certainly frustrating. It sounds like you are doing your best with the FC and I agree that it is probably battling debris and algae, but at some point your filter is going to have to step up and do its job to filter out what the chlorine has killed and improve the water clarity so you can see the rest of the debris (plus give you a moral victory of a better looking pool after all of your hard work).

I'm calling out to the experts here. Is anyone aware of a portable filter that could help the OP. @mknauss - I saw you recommend clarifier on another SLAM post (one of the rare times I've seen it recommended on TFP). Would this be another rare occasion where it could help? Any other ideas to help the OP and their SLAM/small filter issue?

Your pool water should be much farther along than it is. Are you sure there is not a large amount of solid debris in the pool?

Clarifier is only a consideration if the pool is blue and cloudy, no visible algae nor dead algae on the pool floor, has passed multiple OCLT and CC test levels, and is resistant in clearing.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Looked through several pages. Appears you are plugging the filter frequently. I know this must be frustrating. Marty mentioned previously to remove the filter cartridges and I think you may have put them back too soon. The plugging indicates a large amount of debris still in the pool and pool is not being circulated sufficiently by the pump which may explain the extended time. If you can't get the debris out you have to oxidize it out. This takes a LOT of chlorine and a long time if you can't get it out. And you may need to remove the cartridges until you quit plugging them so often. If your pool is running a large amount of the time with plugged filter it can reduce the flow so much that it's almost like not running the pump at all.

Chris

Reactions: Bille
Your pool water should be much farther along than it is. Are you sure there is not a large amount of solid debris in the pool?

Clarifier is only a consideration if the pool is blue and cloudy, no visible algae nor dead algae on the pool floor, has passed multiple OCLT and CC test levels, and is resistant in clearing.

I just dragged the skimmer around the bottom as best as I could. I pulled up less then half a skimmers worth. It's possible I'm missing something I can't see the bottom.

Cleaned the filter it only went down 2-5 psi. Water hardly moving.

Tested at 10:45 it was 11.5 fc and I added 5.5 cups to bring it up to 15

If you have any solid debris that can be caught with a leaf rake/net, you need to get that out of the pool. The chlorine is trying to oxidize it and creating the mess you are in.

You need to find a way to vac to waste. You might need to contact a pool service that has its own vac pump that can come and vac to waste to remove as much of the debris as possible.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I'm not sure I'm getting anywhere. It's been almost a week. I started with 16 gals of liquid shock that is 12.5% and I have 3 gallons left. This is what my pool looks like:

View attachment 149765
That foam floating on top the water looks very strange. Not normally seen with a normal algae green pool SLAM. Have you added anything else before the 12%? Is this new? Could there have been some baquacide (spelling?) put in it previously?

Before I redid my pool I dumped a few gallons of bleach in the pool it was just the deep end that had water in it the water was green almost black no pump heck there was a tent in it. after one night the water was clear I could see all the stuff in there of course when I started removing stuff the water would cloud back up but scoop after scoop there was dead rabbit diapers sticks mud beer cans kids toys and of course a tent. At this point I would shut the pump off and dump bleach in it let everything settle so you can see to clean it out or at least get an idea we’re the crud is extra chlorine is gonna burn off any way and that way you know for a fact nothing is in there. Of course I was changing the liner anyway but it really didn’t effect the liner. My thinking is the slam is a bust due to stuff in the pool. And the pump is just stirring the crud around making it impossible to clean. Get some good friends that like beer cook some food and just have a pool cleaning party. If your brave get in it. That’s how i got the tent out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I have only added liquid chlorine. I saw this happen when I used Clorox bleach.
That could explain it. Some Clorox bleach has extra additives. And if you have not dumped water, you still could be fighting with the extra additives in the water.
Did you use this? Here's a thread to check out: Clorox Germicidal Bleach Concentrated

A half a net is ALOT in a pool doing it blind. You have a ton of stuff still in there that's the major problem here. Do you have city water? My professional advice is to dump most of the water so you can get in it amd clean the bottom. Your just not getting the pool cleaned enough to get a slam going yiu should have crystal water by now. If you dont have city water find out how much trucked water is and also call the fire dept. That's my first call in rural areas. A small donation to the volunteer squad often gets you water delivery or a hydrant fill.

My numbers have gotten weird on me:

I fell asleep early last night and didn't check it for 12 hours, but when I did it was still ok, but then jumped down:

7pm: 10 FC - added enough to bring it to 15 (maybe 17 i forget)
7:30am: 11 FC added 6 cups
12:00pm 7.5 FC added one gal - This was the biggest jump I've ever seen

At this point I had to go to my office. On the way home, around 5pm I stopped at the pool store and bought this vac that attaches to the hose and has a big round mouth. I didn't check the water I just got to work with the new tool.

2 hours later I got out around 3-4 half skimmers full of leaves. At this point I tested and it was at 6.5 so I put in the rest I had in my open bottle, about 3/4 of a bottle. I'll check it again in an hour or so and adjust.

Should I just get into the pool and find the leaves? What is the risk? Is something going to swim into my "openings"?

It is looking more gray now then green, I think

today.jpg

Should I just get into the pool and find the leaves? What is the risk? Is something going to swim into my "openings"?

It is looking more gray now then green, I think
LOL! If you were in the Amazon River I would say not so much and... don't urinate (Candiru).... If its changed to gray, you are making progress. A lot of the algae is dead, now you're just oxidizing all the dead leaves in there. If you can get them it will go much faster. I suppose you can get in there.. I don't know that I would recommend snorkeling, That looks like some of the limited visibility diving I've done.. its like swimming around in minestrone soup.

Alright guys, its time to draw a line in the sand. I'm already this cleaning for a few hundred dollars and I'm not rich. Do I keep going or drain it? I have a small pump that does about 25 gallons per min that I think will take 8 hours to drain it. If I drain it I'll pressure wash the walls before refilling it. Draining sucks because I wasted like $300 in electric, water topping it off and 20 gallons of shock.

Bille,

YES! You obviously still have a TON of garbage in various stages of decomposition at the bottom. Drain it, clean it out, and then start again with TFP and stay on it. I'm 6 years in with a year round pool sitting right next to a wetland preserve (better known as an algae farm) and never had anything but a crystal clear pool.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Chris

Bille,

YES! You obviously still have a TON of garbage in various stages of decomposition at the bottom. Drain it, clean it out, and then start again with TFP and stay on it. I'm 6 years in with a year round pool sitting right next to a wetland preserve (better known as an algae farm) and never had anything but a crystal clear pool.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Chris

Okay that's the new plan. I rent this house and it's our last summer here so I really want the kids to enjoy the pool this year.

I have a couple of questions.

Should I fill it from the hose or use a water delivery? I can't figure out what the rate is in harford county Maryland and a friend said pool water delivery is a lot of the times more then using the hose?

I drain it, clean it with pressure washer and fill it. What next? Do I need to slam it again or just keep it at normal fc for swimming?

Am I'm forgetting anything?

I've never had to drain one myself but that makes sense to me. If you clean it up well and keep the water chlorinated you may be able to avoid a SLAM or at least make it a quick one. Most of the time when delivery is done it's because of very high CH or severe water restrictions. I've always just used the hose. Let's see what @jimmythegreek has to say. He knows a lot more than I do about this stuff. Can you please post a set of test results for your fill water?

Chris

Do not use a pressure washer. You will likely damage the plaster. Best to use a high power trash pump and get as much of the solids out as possible when draining. Be ware that draining entails risks to the pool structure. If you are unsure of your local water tables, research that before you drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.