IF on Hayward 350fdn

IF, ignition failure, usually means it attempted to light and the flame went out. It will try three times and then give you the IF code. Could be as simple as a bad flame sensor. On the FD units, the flame sensor is a separate sensor and sometimes you can use emery cloth or steel wool to clean it and it will work.

I had the same problem with my 4 year old 350:Hayward. Start trouble shooting by taking out the igniter and seeing if it glows red when it runs through the start cycle. Then clean the flame sensor. If that doesn’t work you can check and clean the orfices. You need to turn the gas off. There should be a shut off valve between the meter and your heater. Somewhere between the gas valve that you just turned off and the heater is a union in the gas pipe. You need to disconnect the union so you can unscrew the pipe from the gas valve inside of the heater. The gas valve in the heater is connected to a black pipe that has two tabs with two screws each that mount it to the combustion area. If you remove the 4 screws the valve and the pipe that has the orfices in it will come out. In my case the orfices appeared clean but I took a nail and poked each one and blew them out. This did not solve my problem so I got on amazon and ordered an igniter, $45 flame sensor, $43, gas valve. $220 and control board, $220. I noticed that even though I could hear and feel the gas valve clicking on I never smelled gas when it attempted to fire up so after replacing the igniter and flame sensor I decided to replace the gas valve next and it started right up! I was one happy camper! Remember to use pipe thread compound on every connection when putting everything back together and check the joints with soapy water for leaks. If that had not worked I would have tried the control board but luckily I left it sealed in the box and can now return it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.