IceShadow Pool Opening 2021

Also, I turned the heater on, just to help the CYA dissolve. It’s pretty hard to get it to dissolve in 50° water. Had to order a new pressure gauge too - found out mine had been left in place and now doesn’t read 0 when off. :(
Finally I brushed the whole pool down, sides, bottom, everything. Can’t wait until my wife relents and lets me get a robot.
I thought you we can't use vacuum robots in vinyl pools.

I ended up getting a longer shark bite connector and cutting off the female end in our house, then using the longer shark bite hose bib instead. Done.
Dustin,

I am not a plumber but you may want to research the Shark Bite connections a bit more for a interior pipe under so much pressure. I just had a leak in my main water line and was joking with the plumber about fixing it DIY. He said, "go ahead if you want but whatever you do, don't use Shark Bite to fix it". I didn't know what these were and he said "the Shark Bite is an easy fix but is not reliable for long term plumbing". This guy really didn't want to spend his day in a 4-ft muddy hole fixing a pipe so I don't think he was telling me this in order to not lose business. He was also fixing a PVC/PEX pipe and not copper so I do not know if that matters.

Dustin,

I am not a plumber but you may want to research the Shark Bite connections a bit more for a interior pipe under so much pressure. I just had a leak in my main water line and was joking with the plumber about fixing it DIY. He said, "go ahead if you want but whatever you do, don't use Shark Bite to fix it". I didn't know what these were and he said "the Shark Bite is an easy fix but is not reliable for long term plumbing". This guy really didn't want to spend his day in a 4-ft muddy hole fixing a pipe so I don't think he was telling me this in order to not lose business. He was also fixing a PVC/PEX pipe and not copper so I do not know if that matters.

Thanks for the concern, but I think we’ll be ok. We’ll monitor for any leaks though. :)

Finished vacuuming off the rest of the bottom today to get the last of the dust/dirt/pollen/etc. one last skim, a top-off, and I’m all set.

A52525A2-271A-4D47-B4B0-B91591865095.jpeg

WaterGuru doesn’t want to connect to my phone, so I wrote in for support. But it’s in the water now.

Pump turned down to 2 hrs a day at 2000 RPM.

Solar cover on and now I wait for a warm day to make it worth turning on my heater. :)

54BCA1AF-B956-40ED-A6C2-5318EC539485.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dustin,

Plumbers don't like Shark Bite fittings because they put them out of business. (If I can DIY my plumbing, I don't need a plumber)

After the 2011 flood, I redid my plumbing and also did my baseboard heaters. I used shark bites to mate pex to copper pipe on water supply lines, and did all my baseboard heaters with them, with orange pex mated to the copper baseboard elements with Shark Bites. All is holding up 10 years later, no leaks.

Plumbers don't like Shark Bite fittings because they put them out of business. (If I can DIY my plumbing, I don't need a plumber)
#Preach. Plumbers will always be needed because it would cost a small fortune to plumb the entire new house with $14 fittings. And there will always be difficult repairs that require some real skill and know how. But for a simple repair/retrofit, shark bite is the way to go. I have many of them going strong with 10+ years of service.

Dustin! Great to see you back! As a fellow northerner I always enjoyed your posts!

Of course now the lows the next 3 nights are 32, 28, 28.... Guess I’ll leave the pump running.
Oh, and the new pressure gauge came in. Swapped out the broken one.
Yeah, that’s the only reason I’m not open yet. Going to wait a couple more weeks. In the meantime I’m removing the zeosand from the filter and going back to regular sand. Just discovered the zeo this weekend from the previous owner when I went to deep clean my filter yesterday.

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.