Ice maker recommedations (full-size or countertop)

We have been through many, and I mean many, countertops over the years at home and office. Still keep one at both locations at all times. I don't care what brand you get, how much "quality" you pay for, about 1 year is the life of these things, like clockwork. We just factor that as cost of ice. Another factor to read for on reviews is noise level. Some will be tolerable, and some you just have to send right back.

Last edited:
We have been through many, and I mean many, countertops over the years at home and office. Still keep one at both locations at all times. I don't care what brand you get, how much "quality" you pay for, about 1 year is the life of these things, like clockwork. We just factor that as cost of ice. Another factor to read for on reviews is noise level. Some will be tolerable, and some you just have to send right back.
This is very helpful and exactly the feedback I was looking for. In that case what brand and model do you consider the best bang for the buck noting it will be a consumable and basically replace the cost of ice and provide the convenience yearly?

I assume by full size you mean small built in (like meant for a kitchen)?
We have a medium size commercial iceomatic in our shop and its great. Its quite old but it gets the job done. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for. We use alot of ice between us & our friends with beer coolers, fish, deer, get togethers etc. We all split the initial cost & it lives at our house as we’re next to the beer store lol 😂 everyone just throws a little water, electric, & bag money at us every now & then.

In that case what brand and model do you consider the best bang for the buck noting it will be a consumable and basically replace the cost of ice and provide the convenience yearly?
That's the loaded question! We have been through many. We have bought a lot on Amazon, mostly odd names and whatever Sam's is carrying at the moment. But, also name brands like Frigidaire. We are currently on a GE, which we would return due to the awful noise it can make at times, but it is sporadic and makes good soft ice. I think all the countertops are about the same quality. Some of the quietest ones have not necessarily meant the most expensive. That's the luck of the draw. Bang for buck for cost of ice? Usually around $100 - $200 on Amazon. This GE one cost $300 or more, and time will tell but not holding my breath.

Reactions: tradewinds
Most of the countertop icemakers are "commodities" that make the same bullet ice the same way. I have a Frigidaire countertop ice maker that I set up outside for pool parties, it current sells for $80 at Costco. I think they're best for occasional or low-volume use, since you need to manually add water and clean them regularly.

We also have an undercounter Kitchenaid icemaker in the kitchen. It's a different beast altogether...makes high volumes of clear ice and is constantly making ice and draining water, so it keeps itself clean. We've been happy with ours. Running costs are a bit high (needs to be descaled + expensive water filter changed about every nine months). The machine was expensive (came with our house) and I couldn't imagine spending that kind of $ for an occasionally-used appliance in an outdoor kitchen, but as a frequently-used fixture in your main kitchen it would be a good investment.

Reactions: tradewinds
I have this one for the last 5 years and it still work great. It's twice as big as the smaller one you can see all over amazon. Sometime I wish it would be smaller for when we go on vacation or to the country house but it is still movable. It feel sturdy and what I like compare to the smaller ones ( many friends have the 26 lbs ice maker ) is that you don't need to fill water as often and the ice capacity is also bigger.

1699004199498.png

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.