IC40 Salt Cell - Extreme Effort Required for Screwing on Union Fittings and Acid Cleaning Kit

Alcyone

May 9, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I had to replace my IC40 salt cell back in July as the old unit was at end of life. However, my new unit is extremely difficult to remove and reinstall as the fittings are hard to turn over the male threads. I've had to use an oil filter wrench when I initially installed it and had to use one last weekend when acid cleaning it. The wrench was required to properly secure the acid cleaning screw and also needed upon removal and reinstallation into the system. The unit is working well and there are no leaks, but it doesn't seem normal with how hard it is to turn the union fittings. I've seen on this forum that a strap wrench is often recommended for removal but shouldn't be required upon reinstallation.

Is it possible that this unit had a manufacturing defect causing the mail threads to not line up properly with the female fittings? I'm thinking at this point I should contact Pentair and try to get a warranty replacement. Is this recommended or is this a common problem?

I'd rather not go through this effort every 3 months to clean the cell.

Thanks

Al,

You should be able to screw them on by hand.. You should also be able to un-screw them by hand, but if they have been on for a long period of time you might need a little wrench help to get them off.

It can't hurt to call Pentair and see what they say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd rather not go through this effort every 3 months to clean the cell.

If you're cleaning the cell every 3 months, you have a significant chemistry problem. Most people that operate at a slightly negative CSI have minimal to zero scale on their cells. Can you post current chemistry results from a quality test kit?

Does the unit line up perfectly, or are you trying to correct a slight skew in the plumbing ? Either way, pool lube will help, but be mindful that it makes tightening that much easier so you risk damage by going too tight once it bottoms out.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you're cleaning the cell every 3 months, you have a significant chemistry problem. Most people that operate at a slightly negative CSI have minimal to zero scale on their cells. Can you post current chemistry results from a quality test kit?
pjt,

My area has lots of calcium in the water. It gets all over everything including the pool tiles. All of my neighbors are afflicted with the same problem. That aside, the reason I decided to clean the salt cell every three months is because there's text right on the salt cell panel saying "Acid clean every three months". Is this overkill or should I continue to follow this advice?

Here is my latest chemistry result:
Chlorine - 4.5
PH - 7.8
Alkalinity - 120

Al,

You should be able to screw them on by hand.. You should also be able to un-screw them by hand, but if they have been on for a long period of time you might need a little wrench help to get them off.

It can't hurt to call Pentair and see what they say.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

I not only need the wrench to get the off, I need the wrench to get them back on. Otherwise I have leaks. I'll call Pentair and post back what they say.

Does the unit line up perfectly, or are you trying to correct a slight skew in the plumbing ? Either way, pool lube will help, but be mindful that it makes tightening that much easier so you risk damage by going too tight once it bottoms out.

The unit lines up perfectly and I'm not cross-threading anything. I have applied teflon tape, but not lube.

Here is my latest chemistry result:
We need the other parameters too, especially CH. What model kit are you using?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

My area has lots of calcium in the water.
You should consider a water softener for your fill line.

there's text right on the salt cell panel saying "Acid clean every three months".
Ignore that, it's bad advice. Ideally, you never have to clean your cell. MA cleaning is a last resort since it decreases the life of your cell.

We need the other parameters too, especially CH. What model kit are you using?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

You should consider a water softener for your fill line.

Ignore that, it's bad advice. Ideally, you never have to clean your cell. MA cleaning is a last resort since it decreases the life of your cell.

I have a whole house water softener. Is it likely the fill line is post that? The fill line and connection is all underground and the pool was put in by the previous owner, so I'm not sure where it connects.

Given the bad advice on the salt cell and the calcium in the water, how often would you recommend doing an acid clean? Should I wait until the light comes on?

Teflon tape should not be used on the union connections. The seal is the oring, not the threads.

That's good to know. My mistake. Regardless, the screw connections are still tight but that will help loosen them up a bit.

I have a whole house water softener. Is it likely the fill line is post that?
Test your fill water and report its CH and TA.

how often would you recommend doing an acid clean?
Never. (Perhaps as a last resort.) Read the link in post 6. You need to get your chemistry under control first, otherwise this will be a constant struggle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
text right on the salt cell panel saying "Acid clean every three months
It's an old cell. Since at least 2019, the new ones say 'inspect every 3 months and clean if necessary', or something like that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.