South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Up until today my IC40 has been working like a dream. Salt reading was 3800 and making pool maintenance easy as could be.

Just checked today and noticed screen logic said 9900ppm salt and the bell is blinking green. My Taylor kit proves that wrong (3400ppm). But wondering what could be be happening. Is there a way to reset the cell? It’s only 6 months old and was a self install. Is there any warranty coverage for that?

Also will it still make chlorine with this high reading? We are having a party here tomorrow for the fourth and don’t want to wake up to a green pool in the morning. Thanks!

1656874280007.png
Ecommerce (EC) products: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase.

The exceptions are: IntelliChlor cells and IntelliFlo SVRS pumps which receive a two (2) year warranty.

EC products are not eligible for the bundled three (3) year extended warranty.

I can’t say much for the SWG cell issue, but I can tell you that you should not have a green pool tomorrow. You can and should feed it liquid chlorine if needed. No harm will be done to use traditional methods to chlorinate for the short period.

Reactions: an1vrsy
I can’t say much for the SWG cell issue, but I can tell you that you should not have a green pool tomorrow. You can and should feed it liquid chlorine if needed. No harm will be done to use traditional methods to chlorinate for the short period.
Oh ya I totally agree with that. I have some bleach ready and pucks (for real emergencies) to go incase. Just wondering if I actually have to use it or if the cell will still work.

Reactions: jgofnj
jlamb,

The cell will still make chlorine with high salt.

It is more of a reading issue, then an actual issue.

Just look at your "Cell" light.. At 50% output the cell light will be on for 2.5 minutes, when the cell is making chlorine, and then off for 2.5 minutes, when the cell is at rest. As long as the Cell light is working, your cell is making chlorine.

No need to panic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jlamb5990
jlamb,

The cell will still make chlorine with high salt.

It is more of a reading issue, then an actual issue.

Just look at your "Cell" light.. At 50% output the cell light will be on for 2.5 minutes, when the cell is making chlorine, and then off for 2.5 minutes, when the cell is at rest. As long as the Cell light is working, your cell is making chlorine.

No need to panic.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim

Exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for the great advice as usual!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The reading for salt is way too high and the high temp reading would make the salinity reading be too low not too high.

Check the cell for scale and clean it if necessary, but only if necessary.

What is the CSI?

Check for scale and clean if needed.

Maybe cut the white or green wire to see what that does.

Ask Pentair to send you a new flow switch?
Update: I just checked the thermoster again and its actually reading the right temp. It was at 80%/100% which is 85*-95* which is right. Salt now shows 7100ppm which is still too high but down from 9900ppm and still incorrect. Any other ideas what could be causing the false high reading.

Last edited:
Check the salinity a different reliable way.

Are you sure that you are doing the test correctly?

Did you check for scale?

Have you added salt lately?

If there is no scale, file a warranty claim and ask for a replacement cell.

Reactions: jlamb5990

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.