IC40 not powering on?

Sun,

Just to be sure.. The IC40 will get no power in the Service Mode...

Assuming your IC40 is wired correctly, for it to power on the EasyTouch needs to be in Auto, and either the Pool mode or Spa mode... And... the pump is running or at least being told to run.

Once that happens, the Pump/Filter relay will close, sending power to the SWCG's transformer.

If everything is set up correctly, and the IC40 is not on, then the first thing to do is see of you have about 24 Volts AC between the two red AC inputs on the "surge card" which is the power supply for the cell.

See the pic below..

You don't have a fuse, but you should have a small circuit breaker in the upper right side of the Enclosure..

If you have no 24 VAC, at the Surge card then you need to check the circuit breaker and test the input AC going to the SWCG transformer. It can be either 120 or 240 VAC, depending on how it is wired.

The AC power to the SWCG transformer comes from the Pump/Filter relay and it could be bad..

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Without pulling my meter out, I can tell you the little green light in your pic “cell power” is illuminated. The pump is running, in auto, pool mode, and the SWG is on same breaker as the pump (240v). There is a relay in the easy touch factory labeled for Chlorine generator, but it looks just like the other...doesn’t seem to be “tripped” or abnormal. Really appreciate the help. I’m not a throw-it-away-and-but-new-one type of guy.

Sun,

If the Green light on the Surge card is on, then the card is getting the 24 VAC.. Now you need to test the output of the surge card.. It will about 30 to 35 volts DC between the Red and Black wires on the connector coming out of the card on J7...

Sadly, a bad cell can load the voltage down and then none of the cell lights will work.. how old is the cell??

If you have no DC voltage output, then disconnect the cell and see if the voltage comes back. Sounds to me like the card or your cell is bad.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ouch. I’ll check in the morning. Getting dark now. It’s only been in use less than a year. Unfortunately since I did an owner build I bought it a while before so no warranty. I won’t be able to sing the SWG praises any more if $1000 doesn’t last a year. Had been flawless before and when I did an acid wash a couple months ago, it had zero build up. I did the acid anyway since I had it apart.

A friend did a DIY fix on his (not sure if pentair)...says it was like a $5 part. Was hoping to learn of something like that? He doesn’t remember exactly what it was and I’m not finding anything googling.

Sun,

I have been through two IC40's so far.. Both of them were DIY installs.. Once lasted over 7 years and one almost 9 years..

Cleaning did not cause your no lights problem, but if there is no build up, we never recommend an acid wash.

Let us know what you find,

Jim R.

The SWCG cell is warranteed for two years by Pentair regardless whom installed it. The Power system (in the ET) would only have a 60 day warranty. At least that is how I read it ......

Ok, checked voltage output from card (S7, red and black wires). Reading 42vdc. Little higher than the range Jim posted, but not sure if that means anything. I’m having a really hard time accepting that I need to start from scratch with a new cell. Guess my next step is calling pentair?
Not sure how relevant, but on easy touch diagnostics for intellichlor, it says com link error.

Sun,

If the cell has no power it has no way to communicate... Could be you just need to disconnect, clean, and reconnect the connector at the bottom of the ET. I doubt it, but you have to try.

Could also be that something ate through the cable to the SWCG.

42 VDC sounds like the voltage you'd get with the cell disconnected.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, unfortunately fiddling with the comm cable connection at the easy touch did nothing. I checked the voltage between red and black at that point ( where the SWG cable plugs into the easy touch, and reads about 27vdc. So it sounds like my problem occurs outside of the easy touch. I’m not sure if there is any way to access the electronics at the intellichlor.
Guess I’ll try to call pentair tomorrow.

Talked to pentair today and they were no help really. Sounds like since I bought and installed everything myself, I have no warranty. Whatever, seems like this stuff is all a scam. Not made to be serviced and stuck with one manufacturer...Rant over. This is going to sting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.