IC40 - Measuring Chlorine Output

FattyLumpkin

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Hey all, noticing a drop off in my IC40 output. It's roughly 5 years old. Have cleaned it regularly (1x per year, only if noticeable scaling). Question is: how do I tell for certain if it's failing? All my testing numbers are optimal (except now, FC) with TFP saltwater standards. Passed OCLT, so I don't think there's algae at play yet. Any help appreciated.

F,

Since you passed the OCLT, you can do what I call a reverse-OCLT..

Test your FC level right after sundown and then run your cell all night at 100%... Test again just before sunrise and any increase in your FC will be the amount the cell has produced..

In "theory" an IC40 in a 24K pool should produce an increase of .29 ppm per hour... or about 2.3 ppm in 8 hours.

If you get way less than that, and you have no scale, then I would suspect the cell is on the way out. You can try increasing your salt level and see if that helps temporarly...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

The OCLT I passed must've been too long ago. I did the reverse OCLT, and over a 9 hour period last night, I actually *lost* 2.5 ppm. That's with the cell @ 100%. I was hoping to avoid a SLAM for now, as there's very nice weather (finally HOT) moving in tomorrow. But not sure it's avoidable seeing as there's definitely something getting a foothold. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Jim.

The OCLT I passed must've been too long ago. I did the reverse OCLT, and over a 9 hour period last night, I actually *lost* 2.5 ppm. That's with the cell @ 100%. I was hoping to avoid a SLAM for now, as there's very nice weather (finally HOT) moving in tomorrow. But not sure it's avoidable seeing as there's definitely something getting a foothold. Thanks for your help.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if your pool looked pretty clean and could see the bottom, it was safe to swim during at appropriate slam levels.

Safe to swim during SLAM?

Thanks Jim.

F,

If your water is clear, I suspect jacking the FC up to SLAM level for a day or so will take care of it...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.