IC 40 leak

shulk

Nov 5, 2015
Spring/Texas
Do you guys have any tips to stops leaks at the union after cleaning the Intellichlor unit. I always get a leak on the same end and it takes me five or six tries of dissembling and reassembling until I get it right but this time I've spent nearly 3 hours and can't get it to fit properly. I checked for cracks or cross thread and can't see anything wrong with it. I notice that that end doesn't thread as smoothly as the other one, I suspect the unit is slightly unleveled. So any tips before I call the pros?

Yeah I used tons of pool lube this time to no avail.

I take the cell off every few months to clean it... is there a different way of doing this without taking it off? I would love to hear any tricks because honestly this is the part of pool maintenance that I hate the most because of how difficult it is to put it back without any leaks.

If you are having to clean scale from your cell, you have a pool water chemistry problem. If you keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0.0, you should not get scale buildup on the cell. I have never cleaned my cell of scale.

Sounds like you just need to keep moving the cell a little while tightening the union. Do not over tighten the union.

Reactions: proavia
You may try pulling the orings off and rotating them. If you have been taking this off and on several times it may be slightly deformed in one spot. Lube it up well when you reinstall it.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I lube up the orings on my IC60 then just give the unions about 1/8 turn additional after hand tightening using my big channel locks. I am 77 and cannot hand tighten things as tight as I used to be able to do. I have never had a leak after doing this, and have never brocken a union.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'm just cleaning the cell like an idiot every few months
Don't feel too bad. I was said idiot too. PB said to do it because he did it to his own and it worked great. My original cell said right on it to clean it every 3 months, and who was I to argue with the PB and the manufacturer ?

My SWG bathed in straight acid for 3.25 hours over its lifespan. 🤦‍♂️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.