I want to add an acid dispenser (IntellipH?) -- please help me order the right things

Kinolee

Apr 30, 2021
Lake Mary, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
My Leslie's guy has pooh-poohed all my previous mentions of ordering an intellipH saying that it's "overkill" for my pool, but unless broski wants to come over to my house and add acid every week for me, I'm done with doing it myself and I want to move forward with getting an acid dispenser. Plus, I understand that putting an acid dispenser in line upstream of my SWG helps to maintain the salt cell in good working order, right? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Anyway... since this guy has been less than helpful in helping me order the right things, would y'all help me figure out everything I need? I have:
  • iChlor 30
  • SuperFlo VS (NOT IntelliFlo)
  • UltraTemp120Q
  • IntelliBrite (to be installed later this year, current light is dead)
What I THINK I want to buy:
Am I correct in thinking that I will be able to hook my current SWG and heater, and future IntellipH and IntelliBrite light to the IntelliConnect? I already have a decently new electrical sub-panel for all the pool equipment, so I don't want to replace it with the IntelliCenter. And if I can connect all these things (everything except for the dumb SuperFlo) to the IntelliConnect, does that replace all the little extra boxes that would go on the wall (like for the SWG and the IntellipH), or will it be in addition to those things? Will the IntelliConnect even work without an IntelliFlo? Will I be able to control the IntellipH with the Pentair app if it's connected to the IntelliConnect? Does this plan make sense, or am I missing something?

Just kinda confused about which pieces of equipment I need and how it all fits together. And my Leslie's guy does not seem at all interested in helping me out.

Semi-related side note: I regret not getting the IntelliFlo when I had the chance. I was a new naïve pool owner that "just needed to replace the pump" and had no idea what pool automation was or that I might ever want it. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade even though it's not needed...

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

AFAIK the IntelliConnect will not control the IntellipH.

In addition the IntellipH is made to work with the Intellichlor SWG and not the iChlor.

Look at getting a Stenner pump acid injection system that injects acid based on an internal timer.

You have a diverse set of equipment that does not work together well.

Reactions: Newdude
In addition the IntellipH is made to work with the Intellichlor SWG and not the iChlor.
My understanding was that the acid pump doesn't really work "with" the SWG at all. I thought it was just a dispenser that is set to release acid at a specific rate/interval as long as the pump is on/moving water. I was just wondering if I would be able to like, adjust the rate/amount/flow whatever via the IntelliConnect.

My understanding was that the acid pump doesn't really work "with" the SWG at all.

The Intelliph works with and can control the IntelliChlor. Among other things it pauses the IntelliChlor when acid is dispensed.

I thought it was just a dispenser that is set to release acid at a specific rate/interval as long as the pump is on/moving water. I was just wondering if I would be able to like, adjust the rate/amount/flow whatever via the IntelliConnect.

No, the IntelliConnect does not work with the IntellipH.

Reactions: Kinolee
Is it necessary to pause chlorine generation when dispensing acid then? How would one go about doing that with a Stenner pump which definitely won't communicate with my SWG? I'm way over my head, I guess. And disappointed that none of this Pentair stuff works together despite all being from the same company...

Are you following tfp guidelines? If your alkalinity is in balance your ph will find equilibrium and you won’t have to add MA nearly as often.

I have a Taylor kit from TFP and I follow the directions on there. Every time I test I have to add acid. Acid fixes both TA and pH supposedly, but I am still always adding acid and I'm tired of doing it. Seems like it's never enough. I'd really like to go with an acid dispenser, not only so I can stop handling acid so much, but also to help clean/preserve my salt cell.

Are you only dropping the PH a little or are you targeting low 7s to hopefully buy more time ? Many of us have seen it stay high 7s or 8 for much longer periods of time if we only adjust it a little down to 7.8. Think of it like a swing. Gentle pushes and everything is equally gentle. Give it a big push and it’s coming back with a vengeance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you only dropping the PH a little or are you targeting low 7s to hopefully buy more time ? Many of us have seen it stay high 7s or 8 for much longer periods of time if we only adjust it a little down to 7.8. Think of it like a swing. Gentle pushes and everything is equally gentle. Give it a big push and it’s coming back with a vengeance.
I just add what PoolMath tells me to add. I assume that calculator is targeting the middle of whatever the default range is. I haven't changed any of the settings aside from inputting the equipment I have.

I don't know if it makes a huge difference, but we've had some trouble calculating the exact size of our pool. Various people in the industry have said anywhere between 9k and 12k, so we are calling it 10k... but I feel like that's a really small difference and shouldn't effect our chemistry so much.

I just add what PoolMath tells me to add
Totally fair enough. Lol. Try inputting you own values for a few times. 8.2 lowered to 7.8 for example and see if it helps. (y)
between 9k and 12k, so we are calling it 10k... but I feel like that's a really small difference and shouldn't effect our chemistry so much
10k-12k is a 20% difference if it actually falls at the extremes. All the chemistry would be off accordingly. Not enough to change the world, but still noticeable. You can help zero it in using poolmath and chlorine. Verify you reached your target 20 mins later and adjust the gallons up/down until the after test agrees with what poolmath said it should have done. All pools fluctuate +\- 400gallons with evap and rain so it will never be perfect, but pretty close is close enough.

Is it necessary to pause chlorine generation when dispensing acid then? How would one go about doing that with a Stenner pump which definitely won't communicate with my SWG?

That is under some debate. Pentair does it with the IntellipH, maybe because they can.

If you use a Stenner pump the acid injection should happen after the SWG cell. Pentair has the acid injection before the IntelliChlor cell.

From page 8 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...on_and_Users_Guide_English_Spanish_French.pdf

1632860630066.png

I'm way over my head, I guess. And disappointed that none of this Pentair stuff works together despite all being from the same company...

All the manufacturers have many different models of equipment and you can get messed up if you don't have an overall plan.

Verify you reached your target 20 mins later and adjust the gallons up/down until the after test agrees with what poolmath said it should have done.
Can you really test 20 mins after adding chemicals and expect an accurate result? Doesn't this stuff need time to circulate and dissolve?

All the manufacturers have many different models of equipment and you can get messed up if you don't have an overall plan.
I did have a plan. :/ I shouldn't have trusted the Leslie's guy I guess. Maybe he was telling me to forget about IntellipH because he wanted to sell me the iChlor and knew they weren't compatible. I feel kinda betrayed tbh. I thought I understood this stuff well enough to make an informed decision, but I guess not.

Strongly considering trying to sell my used iChlor and buy an IntelliChlor... but I know how crazy that sounds. Just really disappointed. And putting the acid injector downstream from the salt cell removes part of the reason I want one in the first place. Kinda lame.

Can you really test 20 mins after adding chemicals and expect an accurate result
Yup. With the pump running it will be well mixed in 20 mins. Maybe 30 mins for above grounds or anyone else with particularly pool circulation.
Strongly considering trying to sell my used iChlor and buy an IntelliChlor... but I know how crazy that sounds. Just really disappointed.
All equipment is in high demand and short supply, and has been for over a year. Gently used stuff will sell in no time on FB marketplace / CL / OfferUp. Prices have climbed and climbed and that’s only *if* somebody has the supply.

All equipment is in high demand and short supply, and has been for over a year. Gently used stuff will sell in no time on FB marketplace / CL / OfferUp. Prices have climbed and climbed and that’s only *if* somebody has the supply.
I mean... I'll take a couple $hundred loss to upgrade to IntelliChlor AND IntelliFlo if it meant I could get an IntellipH too. The pump is only 2 years old, and the SWG only a few months. You are giving me crazy ideas... But maybe it's better to swallow my pride and eat the cost than it is to live with regret...

Reactions: Newdude
But maybe it's better to swallow my pride and eat the cost than it is to live with regret...
There would have been an upgrade cost originally too. So you’re not out nearly as much as your pride is telling you.

I had a failed experiment with my heat pump. It worked awsome to its ability but still left much to be desired. In hindsight most of it is on me. I had 35k gallons in NY and only 120k BTUs. Anywho we all but wasted $6k on it with installation. But. Had I not done it……. I would have never stopped thinking how much I wanted it. With small kids it never would have been a ‘convienient time’ to spend that kind of money after the fact, so I would have wished and wished. :ROFLMAO:

Yours is kinda the opposite, but similar. You started a little more basic and now realize that the upgrades are money well spent. So you won’t ever second guess that decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.