I think I have algae. I know I have tons of water boatman

Jul 10, 2016
Pearland TX
So I have a problem. We thought this was sand but highly doubtful. It poofs as soon as you touch it but it feels slightly gritty
I have a ton of the water boatman now too

My pool chemistry as of today is( I have fiberglass 15000 with swg)
FC 8
Cc 0.5
CA 250
TA 60
Ph 7.5

Salt 3970

Last week did OCLT test and didn’t lose any chlorine (10 and 10)

Live in Texas. Lots of sun and high temps

We are getting a new pool filter hopefully this weekend

What other suggestions do you have
I am going to increase my chlorine levels and most likely start slamming will also increas my TA

I have been battling this early May. Every time I think I have won those Dang bugs show up again!!!

I have attached the best pics I could take of my two culprits
Thank you for any and all advice!!!

Attachments

• AD55BCE3-1186-4EDF-9331-B6D48D149F35.jpeg
    AD55BCE3-1186-4EDF-9331-B6D48D149F35.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 20
I have been battling this early May. Every time I think I have won those Dang bugs show up again!!!

I'm on the north side of Houston (approximately Spring, but still Houston address), and I also have had the water boatmen show up in my pool this spring, even though the water is balanced and at the higher end of recommended chlorine for the CYA most of the time. I shocked with calcium hypo (the rain had pushed my CH below 250) a couple of weeks ago and they haven't come back (knock on wood).

Reactions: lascas01

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put your daughter on the end of the leaf net and make a game of chasing, catching and removing the boatmen.
Use the Pool Math calculator to determine your current CSI (calcium saturation index) and use the Effects of adding chemicals calculator near the bottom to estimate the impact of adding a known amount of Cal Hypo.
You do not have to guess what will happen when adding chemicals to your pool water and with the TFP method you are always in control.

Reactions: lascas01
Ok. I have sand like junk on the bottom of the pool and tons on water boatman

Chemistry right now
FC 9.5
CC0
Ph 7.5
CH225
TA 50
CYA50
Water temp 84
SALT 3400
15000 fiberglass pool with SWG

Pool looked good this morning and now a bit hazy. Did OCLT test last week and we passed

I know my TA is a bit low and will be fixing that now

Just curious if phosphorus could be my issue and why I can’t seem to get rid of that yellow sand looking stuff ( probably algae. Ughhh)

Yes I have brushed pool. Can’t do daily with my work schedule etc.

Any other suggestions

Phosphorus? I assume you are thinking of Phosphates.

Phosphates are algae food. TFPC eradicates the algae, so no need to worry about phosphates.

You need to run a SLAM Process to completion.

Sorry nurse here. I deal in phosphorus more than phosphates lol

I have kept my FC at 8 or better with CYA of 50 for over 2 weeks

I don’t have any CC and we passed the OCLT. I believe that means I have completed my SLAM???
What did I miss ???

You are not at shock level for your CYA and thus not following the SLAM Process protocol.

First criteria for a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. If you have algae, even dead algae, in the pool, the water is not crystal clear.

Raise your FC to 20 ppm and maintain that until your water is crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.