I really despise pH testing.

Did you use 5 drops of pH reagent? Try using 4 drops and see if it's easier for you to determine the match.

I also use only 4 drops for the pH test cause my eyes more easily see the color match.

Sure. That is as high as you want to start with in PoolMath anyway.

Use enough muriatic acid to lower to 7.4 with 8.0 as your starting point. Be sure you have a new test of TA input into PoolMath.

Add the MA, circulate for at least 30 minutes, test pH again, and repeat until the pH is in the 7's.

- - - Updated - - -

Your CL side of that test is pretty yellow. What is the FC from the FAS-DPD test? If above 10 ppm, then the pH test you show is not valid.

I would have said 8.0.
I bought the acid demand reagent so I can add drops and see how the color changes. I think it is R-0015.

I also find it easier to read if you hold it up to the sky ... of course that does not really work at night ;)

Sure. That is as high as you want to start with in PoolMath anyway.

Use enough muriatic acid to lower to 7.4 with 8.0 as your starting point. Be sure you have a new test of TA input into PoolMath.

Add the MA, circulate for at least 30 minutes, test pH again, and repeat until the pH is in the 7's.

- - - Updated - - -

Your CL side of that test is pretty yellow. What is the FC from the FAS-DPD test? If above 10 ppm, then the pH test you show is not valid.

FC 8.5 (11 minutes ago)
CC .5
pH 8? (Measured at 7.6 2 days ago)
TA 70 (2 days ago)
CH 150
CYA 40

Given the jump in pH from 2 days ago to now and my TA, I feel it would be prudent to let the pool circulate for a bit in the morning and re-test FC and pH to ensure my tests are valid before attempting adjustment

I had to use four drops when I was using the HTH kit. I also found using a white background in bright, indirect light gave me the easiest time discerning the shades. I find trying to "see" the pink or "see" the orange in my test sample helped me a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Weird. I see some number greater than 8.2.
I did as well. :crazy:

Jim, I do the following when the pH test gives my eyes a fit:
1. I start with 4 drops and try various backgrounds
2. Add the 5th drop and compare with what I saw at first
3. With both tests, I also tilt the comparator (when held directly in front of me) to where I tilt the top away from me so it's at an angle. Kind of at a 45 degree angle. Seems to help my vision a bit.

When all else fails, I throw the comparator against the wall and ask someone else to check. :hammer:

3. With both tests, I also tilt the comparator (when held directly in front of me) to where I tilt the top away from me so it's at an angle. Kind of at a 45 degree angle. Seems to help my vision a bit.

When all else fails, I throw the comparator against the wall and ask someone else to check. :hammer:

I don’t usually have too much trouble, and I’m usually pretty confident in my results. I think it’s the sudden jump with low TA that has me questioning myself now

TexasSplash.........hahahaha I like the last sentence there.......I have felt like that many times with the PH test and I have only been doing it about a month or so because my eyes aren't very good so thanks for giving these suggestions I will have to try them next time.......normally though if all else feels I don't throw it against the wall (even though I feel like doing that sometimes) I ask my boyfriend to check it......we both have eyes problems but are the opposite...I can't see close up and he can't see far away so he usually does better at seeing it :)

Is it critical to be that precise with pH? I'm fine with mine anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8. Would never adjust unless it was below/above that. I usually just under dose a bit from what pool math says it works out great! I would say that last test was a 7.8 and wouldn't mess with it. Or if you want add 10oz of acid and see what it does...

Is this 7.9?

IMG_1449 (Small).JPG

See PH Meters for more.

Note that a PH meter does not have the inaccuracy at high FC levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it critical to be that precise with pH? I'm fine with mine anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8. Would never adjust unless it was below/above that. I usually just under dose a bit from what pool math says it works out great! I would say that last test was a 7.8 and wouldn't mess with it. Or if you want add 10oz of acid and see what it does...

It really is not. I view PH as either GOOD - between 7.2 and 7.8; LOW - below 7.2 (aerate and raise PH); or HIGH - 7.8 & above (add some MA). If PH is high then assume it is 8.0 and add MA and retest and repeat until GOOD.

It’s critical in my logs just because I’m an exacting kind of person. I normally let it drift up to 7.8-7.9 and then knock it back to 7.5 with MA.

Is this 7.9?

View attachment 84150

See PH Meters for more.

Note that a PH meter does not have the inaccuracy at high FC levels.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is not. I view PH as either GOOD - between 7.2 and 7.8; LOW - below 7.2 (aerate and raise PH); or HIGH - 7.8 & above (add some MA). If PH is high then assume it is 8.0 and add MA and retest and repeat until GOOD.

Does a high FC affect the meter like it does the visual test?

In the first picture, I would call it 7.7. It's important to focus on the hue* of the color more than anything.

*Not to be confused with Huế, which is a city in Vietnam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.