Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’ve been following TFP method all summer after a nasty opening; it’s been fantastic. This post could go under several categories, so hopefully you’ll be patient with me.

First, I’m having some reddish/ brownish staining on my tile silicone (I assume it’s silicone, but I may not be using the correct term). Picture attached. What is this? What causes this?

Second, see the black yuck like algae? Why??!! I know my FC is good. In fact, I’ve kept it high because of my start up issue. And I’ve travelled so much this summer, with neighbors taking care of pool, I’ve set my target high and kept it high. So, I don’t understand this. Pool is gorgeous and clear, CC is always good.

One might think my FC needs to be higher based on CYA, but that is my next head scratcher. I adjusted CYA several weeks ago. I don’t like it too high because of a nightmare I had last year. Anyway, it has dropped so much. It’s probably down to 40-50. We’ve had to add a lot of water because it’s been so hot here, but my understanding is that water loss due to evaporation does not reduce CYA. Can the hot Sun reduce it that much?

Am I missing something obvious? Scratching my head here.

Attachments

• 93936335-833B-42DF-81A0-F8EF0146F738.jpeg
    93936335-833B-42DF-81A0-F8EF0146F738.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 55CEF81D-38FA-4D7F-9E1D-70723FECDAA8.jpeg
    55CEF81D-38FA-4D7F-9E1D-70723FECDAA8.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 9C0243F5-135A-4F29-8DF8-D498D1B2275D.jpeg
    9C0243F5-135A-4F29-8DF8-D498D1B2275D.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 48
  • BA71FCAF-3780-4DB2-B017-D897DD16542F.jpeg
    BA71FCAF-3780-4DB2-B017-D897DD16542F.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 506CC4B6-36BA-492F-AA17-B38B5C393224.jpeg
    506CC4B6-36BA-492F-AA17-B38B5C393224.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 49
Have you tried to scrape that black stuff with a fingernail off the tile grout and smear onto a white paper towel?
I have.
Have you tried to scrape that black stuff with a fingernail off the tile grout and smear onto a white paper towel?
I did that trick. It was not green.
I have. It is not green.

For the areas that seem reddish/brown, try rubbing with a Vitamin C tablet. For the black stuff, try spraying bleach or chlorine directly on the area and brush it with a toothbrush to see if it has any effect.
Vitamin c doesn’t seem to do anything. I tried that earlier today. As for the black. Can’t spray it. It’s under water on the stairs, on the tile that Reims the stairs. I poured a little chlorine right over it. Will agitate some more tomorrow when I get in the pool. The reddish is getting pretty bad all around the pool. Wondering if I need some metal out. No metal part is the pool, but maybe in the water?

Wondering if I need some metal out. No metal part is the pool, but maybe in the water?
If the Vitamin C didn't help, it's not iron. Copper would seem doubtful unless you use copper-based pool products. This is a new install correct? Have you reached out to your installer?

If the Vitamin C didn't help, it's not iron. Copper would seem doubtful unless you use copper-based pool products. This is a new install correct? Have you reached out to your installer?
It’s not a new install. Had this pool for several years. Installed 2017 0r 2018. Can’t remember. Only product I’m using is chlorine.

It’s not a new install. Had this pool for several years. Installed 2017 0r 2018. Can’t remember. Only product I’m using is chlorine.
My vitamin C tabs are super small. I smashed and put in a sock then rubbed. Nothing. I then scrubbed the tab straight on. Nothing. Am I doing it wrong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Place some in a thin sock or nylon and rub it or hold it against the stained area for a short period.
I did this. Nothing. My pool builder always had me add 2-4 oz of metal out weekly or every other week. I can’t remember now lol. I stopped when TFP method said not to use these products. I’m starting to have maint issues that come with a pool. Caulk/ silicone under coping is broken and needs replaced. Can’t get pool company out here. Need to replace it because earth is getting in my pool too. Don’t know what the best product to use is. Problems compounding.

My pool builder always had me add 2-4 oz of metal out weekly or every other week.
Using a sequestrant type product is only required for owners that have metals in the water. That's usually iron from a well or local city water with a high iron content. But when iron stains present themselves, Vitamin C tablets are a good indicator of iron staining the pool surface. Copper on the other hand is usually introduced by the owner either in the form of copper-based pool products, old copper plumbing, or a faulty heater element. But your testing doesn't seem to confirm either of those. There is a product on the market called Magic Jack's Stain Kit that you can purchase to try and confirm what the stain is.

Since you mentioned earlier the pool isn't brand new and some of those sealant areas seems to be separating from the coping or other areas, I suppose it's possible that the sealant is simply going bad and changing color from age and/or quality of material used. That's just a thought since the metal testing hasn't confirmed iron or copper to this point.

Using a sequestrant type product is only required for owners that have metals in the water. That's usually iron from a well or local city water with a high iron content. But when iron stains present themselves, Vitamin C tablets are a good indicator of iron staining the pool surface. Copper on the other hand is usually introduced by the owner either in the form of copper-based pool products, old copper plumbing, or a faulty heater element. But your testing doesn't seem to confirm either of those. There is a product on the market called Magic Jack's Stain Kit that you can purchase to try and confirm what the stain is.

Since you mentioned earlier the pool isn't brand new and some of those sealant areas seems to be separating from the coping or other areas, I suppose it's possible that the sealant is simply going bad and changing color from age and/or quality of material used. That's just a thought since the metal testing hasn't confirmed iron or copper to this point.
I was using one small vitamin c tab. Do you think if I used a nylon with a much high quantity that I might see a different result? Also, any recommendations on Product to replace silicone?

I was using one small vitamin c tab. Do you think if I used a nylon with a much high quantity that I might see a different result?
You can try, but I wouldn't expect any change. Most people see an immediate change just rubbing a tablet directly on the stain.

Also, any recommendations on Product to replace silicone?
I might assume a polyurethane product, but I'll defer that to someone like @1poolman1 to confirm.

I’ve been following TFP method all summer after a nasty opening; it’s been fantastic. This post could go under several categories, so hopefully you’ll be patient with me.

First, I’m having some reddish/ brownish staining on my tile silicone (I assume it’s silicone, but I may not be using the correct term). Picture attached. What is this? What causes this?

Second, see the black yuck like algae? Why??!! I know my FC is good. In fact, I’ve kept it high because of my start up issue. And I’ve travelled so much this summer, with neighbors taking care of pool, I’ve set my target high and kept it high. So, I don’t understand this. Pool is gorgeous and clear, CC is always good.

One might think my FC needs to be higher based on CYA, but that is my next head scratcher. I adjusted CYA several weeks ago. I don’t like it too high because of a nightmare I had last year. Anyway, it has dropped so much. It’s probably down to 40-50. We’ve had to add a lot of water because it’s been so hot here, but my understanding is that water loss due to evaporation does not reduce CYA. Can the hot Sun reduce it that much?

Am I missing something obvious? Scratching my head here.
Black algae. A bit of cal hypo sprinkled on it will go a long way toward getting rid of it. Could also rub a 3" tablet on it.

Also, in addition to my above note, I found this information of our city site from their water testing. These don’t seem high.

Attachments

• A727BE5F-FBA5-4EA2-9247-892C82E2B8EB.png
    A727BE5F-FBA5-4EA2-9247-892C82E2B8EB.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1890374C-E0B7-4675-AE64-C34CE9F272A7.png
    1890374C-E0B7-4675-AE64-C34CE9F272A7.png
    504.3 KB · Views: 4

I do know when the pool people came and open my pool I told them to not put any chemicals in because I knew I wanted to follow the TFP method. But do you think they listen to me. He dumped in a ton of algicide. After I told him about all the issues I was battling he mentioned that some of the products he used us metals in it. Made me mad!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.