I need a little help…

I tried that. The dry acid just dissolved into my water. Nothing happened. I will try again.
Tried vitamin C and dry acid again. Neither seem to budge the stain. Ive also notice the water coming out of my keys seems a bit white. Filter is good. Don’t think it’s air.
We’re not going to use the pool today and given that I haven’t shocked since I’ve opened and we’ve been gone so much this summer I’m thinking about just giving the pool a good shock which I think will also help with some of this black I’m seeing on my tile. Also, I haven’t paid too much attention to calcium hardness this summer because I’ve read so much conflicting information on it with a saltwater pool.

From the picture it appears to be black algae. Very different ftom green.
I though black algae created a green smear? Regardless, I believe a SLAM is in order. I’m not having an issue holding chlorine and I’ve kept my FC high so this really puzzles me. Should I slam?

That certainly could be a concern if it was copper based. The dry acid test might confirm.

Hey TexasSplash, see below. I though black algae created a green smear? Regardless, I believe a SLAM is in order. I’m not having an issue holding chlorine and I’ve kept my FC high so this really puzzles me. Should I slam

I though black algae created a green smear? Regardless, I believe a SLAM is in order. I’m not having an issue holding chlorine and I’ve kept my FC high so this really puzzles me. Should I slam?
Black algae is weird stuff. It actually grows from the outside of the pool in, one cell at a time. Highly chlorine resistant because of a "cap" thst covers the portion you see. Call hypo applied directly will oxidize the cap and attack the algae. Scrubbing with a tablet also removes the cap and applies chlorine to the algae.

Black algae is weird stuff. It actually grows from the outside of the pool in, one cell at a time. Highly chlorine resistant because of a "cap" thst covers the portion you see. Call hypo applied directly will oxidize the cap and attack the algae. Scrubbing with a tablet also removes the cap and applies chlorine to the algae.
If you look at my FC levels I don’t know how I’d get black algae. Ive been above target pretty consistently.

You can confirm metals in the water with this kit ... They are strips, but for copper and iron, they'll at least give you an indication.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool, your time, your money, your choice. I make recommendations based on what I've seen in this business.
Hey pool man, I’m not being a ********, I’m asking for clarification, so a simple answer would be great! I’m here asking for help so no need to be smart about it.

Hey pool man, I’m not being a ********, I’m asking for clarification, so a simple answer would be great! I’m here asking for help so no need to be smart about it.
Not trying to give you a hard time, but I believe I gave a simple answer, twice. From 2000 miles away, based on your picture and having seen something similar many times, I believe it is black algae. Don't care how high the chlorine level is, I've seen it many many times with well chlorinated water. The algae is actually outside the pool wall, you just see its water source. It produces a cap that lets water in and keeps everything else out. Sprinkling a bit of cal hypo and letting it sit SHOULD get rid of it, at least temporarily. You just keep doing it until it doesn't come back.
Has worked for me for 30 years. If it doesn't work, you've added a little extra chlorine and you move on to something else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.