I just can’t get my pool clear. Please help.

Do I turn off the inline chlorinator to do this test. I know my CA is high. I’m draining to bottom of skimmer and refilling for the third time. It’s been a while since I slammed. Rereading it I didn’t realize visible algae was a reason to slam. Live and learn :)

Do I turn off the inline chlorinator to do this test
Yes. Any added chlorine will give you a false pass.

You are looking to see how much FC you lose with no sun / UV loss. If it's more than 1, something is brewing. Which your eyes have already confirmed, but there's no harm in getting the testing proof.

Well I slammed it tonight. I don’t need proof that something is wrong
You're better off. Some folks like to fail twice. If it helps them feel better about it, I'm OK with it. :ROFLMAO: But visible algae is a instant fail.

In the spring it could be pollen too but that's all long over now.

I’ll do the overnight chlorine test tomorrow after.
No need until you have clear water. No alive algae, or the dead dusty stuff because you killed that stuff recently since your last vac.

Reread the SLAM article. I know you said you just did again, but each time more of it sticks and you want to get it 100% on the money. We'll help. Ask away if need be. :)

I removed about a foot of water so I slammed it based on a CYA of 80. It was almost dark so I couldn't do the "see the dot" test.

I think my CYA is rising based on the chlorine pucks I'm using. I went and bought liquid pool chlorine for this shock since I didn't want to raise the CYA. I plan on draining the pool a little each day to try to get my CYA back to 50. I admit that I haven't been great about testing (while the water looked nice) and I think that's how my CYA got out of control.

I think my CYA is rising based on the chlorine pucks I'm using.
Bingo.
I plan on draining the pool a little each day to try to get my CYA back to 50
It works, but keep in mind that with each subsequent drain, you are also draining newer water, so each one gets less efficient.

Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
is the first time it has looked this nice!!!
We redefine peoples definition of clear on the daily. Have you seen this thread : How Clear is TFP Clear?

Follow the FC/CYA Levels religiously. Low target is an end point, tomorrow. Make today's add however high it needs to be so that you are still free and clear above minimum tomorrow. As the season winds down, you'll add a little less per day to match the daily loss. In the spring it's the reverse anf you'll start low and increase it as the days get longer / hotter.

That's it. It's really that simple. And your heart will sink when you happen to catch a glimpse of the pool out the corner of your eye and it looks empty. You'll race over there just to 🤦‍♂️and you'll walk back with a little bounce in your step. You're DARN right it's that clear, you'll mumble to yourself. Anywho, it never gets old. :)

Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.