I have a leak.

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
I'm loosing about 1" a day. My liner is about 15 years old. I'm going to try replacing the eyeballs and that plastic plate that has screws in it. I don't know how much a new vinyl liner is today. Filix

and that plastic plate that has screws in it.
Are you referring to the skimmer faceplate? If so, be careful with that one. Might be tough to get the new gasket and holes to all line-up. 15 years is a pretty good run for a liner. Much depends on how well the water chemistry was maintained. Since you have a sand filter, be sure to check and ensure you aren't losing water accidentally at the backwash line (bad spider gasket).

I dont know how to check for a bad spider gasket.
A couple ways you might know if the spider gasket is going bad is if you visually see a leak around the valve. The other is if you see water leaking out the waste pipe but the filter selection is NOT on backwash or waste.

I didn't take the plate off at the skimmer. I changed all the eyeballs plates ect.... When I took off the old ones, I noticed one had a rubber gasket. You could buy them with or without the rubber gaskets. I put all of them on on with rubber gaskets. three returns and my main drain. Everything was new and nice and snug. 24 hours later I lost one and a half inchs of water. My sand filter and multiport is pretty new. 3 years.

You might take a look at the link below. It has good info on where to start with leak detection. It might give you some ideas on what to do next.

I do think the liner has a leak. I almost winterized it. I put all the winter plugs in the returns and maine drain in. Also the gizmo. So there was no way pool water could get in the plumbing. The water still went down about 1.5 inches. The thing is finding someone to patch or replace the liner.

Temps have dropped ? I wish. its been hot as heck! 90s heat index of 108. Today felt good in the 70s. Pool temp is 82. And thats with me adding cold water out of my well every other day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.