I got the Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner

I bought one of these but so frustrated on how to hook it up to the return. This is the return I have:
return.jpg

Am I supposed to unscrew the whole thing? Or just remove the eyeball as someone suggested? When I tried to take the whole thing off water came gushing out so I don't think that's what I was supposed to do :roll:

I bought one of these but so frustrated on how to hook it up to the return. This is the return I have:
View attachment 50229

Am I supposed to unscrew the whole thing? Or just remove the eyeball as someone suggested? When I tried to take the whole thing off water came gushing out so I don't think that's what I was supposed to do :roll:

Turn the pump off and remove the whole thing. Under that there is a smaller diameter area to screw the hose on to.

I kinda have mixed reviews on ours. The issue I am having is the jets of water that cause the bugger to move is also stirring up what is on the bottom so much that about half of it gets missed. Might have to break down and get a hose to use with the skimmer to vacuum that stuff out.

It's really difficult to unscrew I have to unscrew the nut on the other side of the wall where the plunger is, so I have to push the plunger up against the wall so it stays in the the pool and water doesn't escape. So after I do that, then I screw the hose from the cleaner onto the threaded piece that is sticking through the wall? SO confused by this! If this is what I am going to have to do every time I want to vacuum I will just return it! This is the only return jet I have in the pool and can't leave the cleaner attached because then how will water circulate?

Relax we will help you. You shouldnt have to unscrew the nut on the outside.
First you need to remove this
x11074.jpg_56.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Qz1tOT3BPz.jpg

Then you will have two sets of threads that look like the top part of this. The cover you remove screws on to the bigger threads and the hose for the vacuum screws on to the smaller threads
10744_1_29.jpg

As mentions above the cover can be hard to get loose if it was put on real tight or if the pump is running.

Sorry you are struggling with this, it should be really simple. The outlet assembly consists of three pieces: the blue piece that sticks through the liner, the nut that holds it in place and the white cover with the eyeball. You should not have to do anything other than unscrew the white piece. Do not loosen the nut. Do not remove the hose from the pump. The hose to the cleaner screws on the blue piece on the inside of the pool, replacing the white cover piece. You can leave it attached if you want, the circulation works fine through the cleaner. I leave mine running 24x7.

The outside cover is very hard to remove. Almost impossible I would say. I had to remove it from the pool, put it in a vice to hold the threaded side. Then get a giant wrench to unscrew the outside piece. I now can put cover on and take it off no problem. I was confused at first if it was two pieces or one. The picture you posted helps make sense of the setup.

Relax we will help you. You shouldnt have to unscrew the nut on the outside.

As mentions above the cover can be hard to get loose if it was put on real tight or if the pump is running.

I guess mine is just on really tight because the only way I could get it off was to loosen the nut on the outside of the pool. I am going to try again this weekend since I am currently out of town

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try putting the bugger back on, it takes me 4-5 tries before it goes back on without crossthreading :(

As for the cleaner... well it moves around the bottom of the pool I guess, I don't know if it picks up as well as it spreads stuff around.

I used an oil filter wrench and got mine off. It was stuck on tight!! This is my first time letting the intex auto cleaner do it's job and all I see it doing is popping wheelies in the pool. Is my pump too strong? I just back washed the sand filter the other day so it's on full blast. Are there any adjustments on the cleaner itself or some other way to restrict the flow a bit to slow it down?

It should be moving at a fairly decent pace, but all four wheels on the bottom. Let it run for a day or so and then check the filter to see how much it has picked up. No adjustments on the unit. If pump is too strong you need to figure out a way to divert part of the flow. Or perhaps put some weight on the cleaner to keep it down.

Does anybody know if this cleaner will work with a steel side pool? And if so how to hook it up? It looks pretty awesome in the video posted and the cost is so much more attractive than the robot cleaners. I'd love to be able to use it if it'll adapt to a non-intex pool.

Try putting the bugger back on, it takes me 4-5 tries before it goes back on without crossthreading :(

Know why? Because when we look at when trying to thread it back on, the image through the water is distorted and we are actually trying to put it on crooked. :rolleyes:Sounds weird, but that is basically it. What looks straight on above the water, is usually crooked below the water as our eyes are being deceived by the light fraction in the water.

Ok I ran the cleaner yesterday for about 4 hours, it did an OK job, I used it without the little nylon brushes on the bottom as I had some leaves I wanted to see if it picked up. Nope :(

Going to run it again today, this time with the nylon brushes installed to see if it can pick up some of the sand that is in the pool. So far I am not real impressed with this cleaner.

I also have the AquaBug "suction side cleaner" that I am going to compare this to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.