I am just starting out with a hot tub and since I react badly to chlorine I can’t use it

Ozozthor

Jun 13, 2022
San Diego
I am just starting out with a hot tub and since I react badly to chlorine I can’t use it. I can’t use Bromine either.

I am trying to use only iodide and peroxide. Can you help confirm if I am on the right track?

Here is my humble todo list:

1. I have the tub filled with chlorine free water - done.
  2. Install ozone generator - done.
  3. Fill tub up with water
  4. In a 5 gallon bucket, add food grade peroxide 35% until it turns brown
    === I found somewhere that the recommended amount of 35% is ¼ cup or two ounce per 100 gallons of water intended for the tub. IslandHotTub.com
  5. Pour those 5 gallons of peroxide water, 5 gallons into tub
  6. Pour potassium iodide in water to create a 2ppm solution (calculate that)
  7. The water should turn slightly green
  8. Test for bacteria levels using test strips, like this from FilterWater.com
    Pool and Spa Bacteria Test 10-pack
  9. Test level of iodide using
Iodine Sanitizer Test Kit from AquaPhoenix
  1. Do this once in a while if water has bacteria:
    1. Measure amount of iodide in tub
    2. Add peroxide
    3. Add iodide
    4. Turn the hot tub on, cover it and let the water circulate for eight to 12 hours or overnight. Dip another test strip into the water and check for free chlorine. If the strip shows the presence of free chlorine, your hot tub is now clear of bacteria.

I am not a chemist, but do you think I am on the right track?

Oz, You say you react badly to chlorine. Do you care to explain? The reason I ask it that is what we use in our hot tubs and pools here at TFP. We do not endorse other methods. I am afraid we will not be able to help you in your quest :(

Reactions: dfwnoob
Hey Oz !!! Our pool/spa water has less active chlorine than tap water due to Cyanuric Acid buffering it. If you can take a shower or bath with no harm, our water will be less harsh than that.

Unfortunately like Kim said above, this is the way we know and we won't be of much help with ways we don't know. We wish you well on your journey and would love to teach you our ways if you ever change your mind. :)

Reactions: dfwnoob and kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.