Hybrid Pool Fiberglass Sides and Concrete Bottom Convert to Liner

I saw a full fiberglass pool converted once. It looked great. The owner had drained the pool and a big rain came which popped the bottom up without popping the pool out of the ground. They just just pushed the bottom back flush and added a thin layer of sand and put the liner over it. It took a while for the pool people to measure but it worked out fine. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Following along for the ride. Great choice in converting … those old hybrid pools are the worst to deal with when they start to leak. No one builds them anymore and few even know what they are. We had one member convert a hybrid pool to gunite/plaster which was interesting. Turned out great.

Just make sure that whoever does the measurement and layout of the custom vinyl liner that they leave you a copy of the design dimensions and ordering information. That way, if you ever need to replace the liner in the future, it’s easy to do.

+1. I took pics of my looploc box with my order #s all over it in case we loose the paper work.

+1 part II. Good luck and Keep. Us. Posted.

:epds:

Reactions: kdittner
Following along for the ride. Great choice in converting … those old hybrid pools are the worst to deal with when they start to leak. No one builds them anymore and few even know what they are. We had one member convert a hybrid pool to gunite/plaster which was interesting. Turned out great.

Just make sure that whoever does the measurement and layout of the custom vinyl liner that they leave you a copy of the design dimensions and ordering information. That way, if you ever need to replace the liner in the future, it’s easy to do.
That's a great idea! Never thought of that.

Going to replace my skimmers and returns while I'm at it...

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Wondering how much weight the pool liner track actually holds?
Not a whole lot. Think of it as filling a ziplock bag thats resting on the counter with water. You're pretty much just steadying it so it doesn't tip and spill.
will be securing a vertical track to fiberglass wall every 6 inch's with stainless screws
That should be fine. Mine is about every foot (doubled up at the seams) in concrete.

Screenshot_20230313_170224_Gallery.jpg

Whenever one didn't grab good, they added one right next to it.

Reactions: kdittner
Not a whole lot. Think of it as filling a ziplock bag thats resting on the counter with water. You're pretty much just steadying it so it doesn't tip and spill.

That should be fine. Mine is about every foot (doubled up at the seams) in concrete.

View attachment 477042

Whenever one didn't grab good, they added one right next to it.
That's sorta what I figured. Thanks for confirming my thoughts

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out Post 79 on this page:
I couldn't find anyone who would install a liner, or fiberglass over everything, so I went with the gunite wall conversion.

Reactions: newdude
Okay so some other thoughts for the group. Should I maybe consider drilling some holes in the bottom of the pool before dropping the liner in? Thinking down the road if it ever leaks it's going to lift the liner. Are normal liner pools watertight under the liner? Am I worrying about nothing? Sort of just figuring if it leaked and I had drilled holes it would leak out and I would notice the pool is losing water I could patch the hole then ideally not worrying about a liner having lifted.

That's a GREAT question and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Holes would let water flow both ways and may create a new issue if the water table ever rose high enough. The pool water would keep the shell down with no holes, but holes would likely float the liner in that scenario.

If a leak was big enough, it could saturate the ground below the pool and the liner would still float once the leak water couldn't leave fast enough.

But with a minor leak, holes could help keep some/all of the liner from floating. So I guess I'm 2-1 against it. Hang tight for more thoughts.

Getting ready to rerun my pipes and am doing crazy trying to figure out if im creating a run that is too long. Currently to rerun exactly to where my pump is would be roughly 400 feet of pipe between all runs (2 returns and 2 skimmers). Ideally yes I'd like to run to where my existing equipment is, but I can move it to a different location thus dropping the feet of pipe to 275. I will be running separate lines for each skimmer and return that are 1.5" and then using jandy valves at the pad. My pump is a 1 HP at 86 GPM (i'd like to eventually get a VSP), my filter is a 1.5" sand filter (Flow rate design is 62 GPM). I know how many twists and turns makes a difference and I think I'd have the same amount of bends regardless of the 400 ft run vs 275 ft run. Am I fine rerunning to the existing pad or should I consider shortening it up? Either way its a longer run then existing lines because I am running to the outsid of concrete pad.

Use 2” or preferably 2.5” pipe for your long runs.

See the difference in friction head/100 ft at flow rates of 40-60 GPM.

My runs are a lot shorter than yours (by nearly 1/10th) and my PB used 2-1/2” on the suction lines and 2” on the return lines. You do not want to under-design your plumbing runs or else you could severely limit the flow rates of the system.

Getting ready to order the liner. We will likely get textured pool steps for sure but are debating having the entire liner have a textured floor. Does anyone have experience with textured liners? is there CONs against it?

We will likely get textured pool steps for sure but are debating having the entire liner have a textured floor. Does anyone have experience with textured liners? is there CONs against it?

Interesting take on a textured liner at...

I use 27ml minimum and often 30. On liner over and ledges thinner fits better and stretches easier. The texture is good for people that don't clean their pools well. Vinyl gets slippery in bad maintenance liner pools. If your good with keeping up regular liner is fine for stairs and benches/ledges. I've never seen it wear out faster but it's a newer fad only last couple years has it been popular. Old school pools had white steps.

Other threads about textured liners...

Another question folks. Upgrading the plumbing to 2 inch and my filter is currently a 24 inch Hayward pipped for 1.5inch. could I swap the valve head to the 2 inch size? And reuse the drum and lateral?

Another question folks. Upgrading the plumbing to 2 inch and my filter is currently a 24 inch Hayward pipped for 1.5inch. could I swap the valve head to the 2 inch size? And reuse the drum and lateral?
Why bother?

Just reduce the 2" to 1.5" going into the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support