Hurricane Ian

Checkout this thread...

This was excellent information. Thank you very much! :)

Reactions: Texas Splash
Well, we're right in the bullseye. In addition to everything else we're doing today, I'm going to bump up chlorine (not to SLAM levels, but probably in the teens) let it circulate for a while (while there's water in the skimmer) and then drain a BUNCH. We may get 10 inches of rain.
Stay safe everyone.

I just went out and started draining water...ugh, so much perfectly good water and i've barely made a dent so far, lol...but my overflow wasn't keeping up with just the rain we got last night so I've got 3.5 more inches to go.

I just went out and started draining water...ugh, so much perfectly good water and i've barely made a dent so far, lol...but my overflow wasn't keeping up with just the rain we got last night so I've got 3.5 more inches to go.
I fully understand what folks are saying about draining, but not following the logic. I do live where I have to think these scenarios through, and though I didn't have my pool last time, I sat through 52" of rain over the course of the storm on the last one. So, what is worse, or, what is gained? Drain 10" and get 10" rain and possibly no overflow, or, full and what runs off and over, runs off and over. Drain to level after. My reasoning is that at least the pool starts heavier for any sudden gain in groundwater.

I fully understand what folks are saying about draining, but not following the logic. I do live where I have to think these scenarios through, and though I didn't have my pool last time, I sat through 52" of rain over the course of the storm on the last one. So, what is worse, or, what is gained? Drain 10" and get 10" rain and possibly no overflow, or, full and what runs off and over, runs off and over. Drain to level after. My reasoning is that at least the pool starts heavier for any sudden gain in groundwater.
We're supposed to get 10-15 inches of rain, after last night's rain, I only had like 2.5 inches before the water would be overflowing the pool and then only a few more inches before it's in my house (I don't know how many inches exactly) so I just drained some away from the house/pool now while I can control where it goes. :)

We're supposed to get 10-15 inches of rain, after last night's rain, I only had like 2.5 inches before the water would be overflowing the pool and then only a few more inches before it's in my house (I don't know how many inches exactly) so I just drained some away from the house/pool now while I can control where it goes. :)
While there's no standard scenario, that's part of what goes through my head. As long as runoff to my house is taken care of by design, do I want to drain off, or drain down, water to my pool volume during the same time ground water is not being alleviated. If letting it all rise at same rate and stay at same rate, let it run over. Seeing pictures of post-hurricane floated pools even while full got me to thinking this scenario for me.

Just turned my SWG to Boost to get that chlorine up in the teens. Water is low but will probably drain more and turn equipment off when the heavy rains start coming as my equipment area gets standing water in with normal rains.
As for draining or not draining, even if I wasn’t worried about water intrusion in the house, I would still rather have to add water as opposed to letting dirt and debris into my pool due to overflow. Sure, you will get some of that with the hurricane, but it would be worse if water is at ground level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While there's no standard scenario, that's part of what goes through my head. As long as runoff to my house is taken care of by design, do I want to drain off, or drain down, water to my pool volume during the same time ground water is not being alleviated. If letting it all rise at same rate and stay at same rate, let it run over. Seeing pictures of post-hurricane floated pools even while full got me to thinking this scenario for me.
Given the amount of rain we are predicted to get, I see 10 inches going into the pool as keeping that much rain out of the yard and avoiding that much strain on our drainage system. I drained about 10 inches. We're predicted to get 15.

Last edited:
Just turned my SWG to Boost to get that chlorine up in the teens. Water is low but will probably drain more and turn equipment off when the heavy rains start coming as my equipment area gets standing water in with normal rains.
As for draining or not draining, even if I wasn’t worried about water intrusion in the house, I would still rather have to add water as opposed to letting dirt and debris into my pool due to overflow. Sure, you will get some of that with the hurricane, but it would be worse if water is at ground level.
That's one of the issues. Water will only flow one way. From on high to low and not uphill. If water is at the level of pool water, more goes in on drained pool than would on full pool. But, if groundwater is rising fast but not reached pool level yet, the heavier the pool the best protection from float. The amount the pool will hold would not be any retention value to the overall water coming down and up.

If overflowing pool could run into house, and one is maintaining for that, that's a big issue, but that also means that for any given time of rain your house is reliant on a single small drain pipe. Not good design. But, otherwise, given if water is high enough to reach pool level, who would pump off water at that point so more surface water could go in? Don't see point of lowering pool level.

Last edited:
Florida has different soil and drainage than Texas. There is no need to let a pool overflow here. The soil is very sandy and water will drain rapidly unless you are in a low lying area. I would never want my pool to overflow. We got about 3 inches over the last 24 hours and are predicated to get another 5. I am making sure my pool level can absorb the 5. I can actually do that without draining and my overflow will work, albeit slowly during the downpour.

+1. Even for anyone remotely in the path. The worst that happens is you donate a couple ppm to the sun gods, but most of the SLAM fc gets used as your regular daily loss next week if all goes well weather wise.

Or it's a good chunk of safety net if things get hairy.

Reactions: SchubeyDew
From wherever your normal water level is.
Thank you
100%. I am not in the path and just expect a lot of rain and wind. In other words another day in S. Florida.

For those in the path, SLAM level and keep a bunch of LC around. Water and food first, but then LC.
so now I’m freaking out a bit… I upped the chlorine to SLAM level and emptied some water to the bottom of the skimmer. Now I’m reading all this and not sure I did the right thing. I don’t want my concrete pool to pop out of the ground…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.