Hurricane Ian

Ian gave us a pretty good smack, but we needed a new screen on our lanai anyway, and now we do not have to worry about removing the old screen. Among other issues, this resulted in quite a lot of leaves in the pool, which we have almost completely removed and will have finished today. Thank goodness for Generators, can even run the filter a few hours a day as we parcel out our energy usage.

We are used to storms and SLAMMED the pool prior (Tuesday last addition of Liquid Chlorine) One major difference this time. Leaves. Also, our local source of Liquid chlorine we closed early and we did not get to restock early enough for post storm usage (first time they ever did that), so when we were at a local Home Improvement store, we grabbed a jar of Clorox Shock and added that in lieu of more liquid chlorine. At the time our concern was less the pool and more getting trees off of our roof and the water damage to our interior cleaned up before mold set in and/or another rain came and assisting our neighbors. Otherwise, never would have used the Clorox.
Finally got around to checking chemistry this morning (Saturday after the storm)

Tayl0r K 2006 Kit, Chlorine is still very high, a quit dropping at 50 ppm with little change in color toward clear...high enough to bleach out other reagents probably. When I check pH, it is purple, like Prince Purple Rain purple, which is not on the scale. Additionally, the Alkalinity is very low, specifically, when adding the R0006, after second drop it turns from the normal green shade to yellow. I rechecked it 4 times.

I expected the Alkalinity and pH to be off due to the added organic matter and this appears to be the case and also understand the high clorine may be messing with my colors. Also, usually we address the Alkalinity first then dial in the pH, but in this case, Since we are so off the scales, I figured I would come here and post this to see if there is any advice besides waiting out the clorine being used up. Can mi hedge my bets on the alkalinity or ph based on experience of others with a lot of organic matter in the pool and their impact on chemistry?

I did look for other threads about this and if I missed one please direct me to it.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I expected the Alkalinity and pH to be off due to the added organic matter and this appears to be the case
Organic matter affects the FC level, not TA or PH.
When I check pH, it is purple, like Prince Purple Rain purple, which is not on the scale.
The test is invalid at 10+ FC. Never even bother when it's the case and let the FC drift fown under 10 first.
K 2006 Kit, Chlorine is still very high, a quit dropping at 50 ppm
50 drops or 50 ppm ?

How does the water look ?

Is there anything I should do to my saltwater pool in Florida for an extended power outage. Most likely more that 2 weeks. I am new to salt water and was having a pool company do maintenance until I learned how. Had a chlorine pool when I was a kid so familiar with some things just not this.

Hello,,,welcome to TFP. Sorry its under these circumstances :(

I would suggest you go find a good quantity of jugs of Liquid Chlorine (aka Liquid Shock) aand use it to maintain your pool's desired FC level.

Pour the right amount in (using PoolMath app or the classic web version PoolMath ) and brush it around.

Do this daily as you test your FC daily. You will lose a bit of sparkle that the filter provides, but if you do it daily you should avoid algae.

For more tips--> Pool Care Basics

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: newdude
Starting a new thread to document and get advice on cleaning up the mess left after the Hurricane damage

Let me start with we are all safe and I consider us truly lucky. Especially with the devastation in parts of our town of Ft Myers

The storm took the screening and most of my roof. It deposited most of if and a large quantity of vegitation in the pool

1079E9AD-6489-40DC-B32F-2F981C9BEE0F.jpeg
No power or water for 3 days

Cleanup was manually pushing all the Crud to the shallow end
And my wife and I waded in and pulled the shingles and large debris out by hand. Which left this mess which is gravel from the roofB6B1CBF7-FBD2-473F-A298-8D965BD38A59.jpeg
With no power I dumped 2 1/2 gallons of chlorine in and we wait
I’ll keep the pool at SLAM until I can vacuum out the mess and filter the water
Current FC 17.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
CYA 40

Anything else I should measure in the meantime?

Matt

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Anything else I should measure in the meantime?
None of the other #s matter but FC now. Ph is invalid at 10+ FC.

If you need to pause the SLAM due to supply shortages or something new taking priority, we can fix anything later. We've helped bring back pools that sat for years and developed their own ecosystem. A few days/weeks is just another day at the office for us. :)

Glad you guys had an easier go, all things considered.

Glad you’re safe!
If those are parts of your roof you probably have bigger fish to fry. Along with living w/out power & water.
You should avoid an intense algae issue by keeping fc up so you’re good there. Just keep an eye on fc until things are going again.
If you think you could rig up a siphon vac that may help with the small stuff but honestly if you don’t have water (& don’t know when you will get it) I wouldn’t bother at this time.
Using a fine mesh skim net & the brush (kinda like a broom & dustpan) may help you get some more stuff out if you have the time.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.