Hurricane Ian

thedude123

Sep 18, 2022
North FL
Hi everyone! First time poster here. We are progressing through our first pool build. Shotcrete was sprayed about 10 days ago and I have been dutifully watering 3x a day. I fear that watering may become unnecessary a bit later this week, as we have a hurricane bearing down on us. I live very close to the St. Johns River in North FL and the water table in our backyard is pretty high. PB put in 5 or 6 well points and there has been a steady flow of water coming out of the pump since the day it was connected. I am assuming that even if we don't get hit directly, we are going to have a whole bunch of rain for the next few days. We also tend to lose power when storms hit, so the pump may be inoperable for some time. I do have a small generator that I can fire up and use to run the pump if needed. Thoughts on how I might best weather the storm? Anything else I need to be thinking about?

Is the pump inside of the shell and pumping water out as it seeps in from the well points? If so, I would unplug the pump and save it for later. At this point you want any groundwater to go into the shell so it doesn't put upwards pressure on the shell, plus the weight of the water inside of the shell will help keep it in place.

Once the hurricane is over, then the PB can use the pump to pump water out as needed. My deep end had about 1 foot of water in it most of the build. They pumped it out when they needed.

Reactions: kimkats
JJ_Tex,

The well points are in the ground outside of the shell. I assume they are used to keep groundwater away during the build. Admittedly, I might be using the wrong terminology. And actually, they are here working today (grading and prepping) and it looks like they are removing the hoses that keep they groundwater at bay...

Last edited:
I live in Central Florida. Hurricane Ian is expected to hit us with 10+ inches of rain starting late Tuesday. Needless to say there will be a LOT of overflow.

Here's my question. Should I crank up my SWCG to full now?

I would lower the pool level for at least the expected rainfall if not a little more. You might be out of electricity after landfall. Pat has a good point, you could remove the pump if the pad is in a possible flood area, most probably no electricity so wont help to have it out there.

This is the first hurricane we are dealing with since our new pool was built. Can you give me some guidance on how to prepare for Hurricane Ian which is expected in the next 48 hours? We currently have a screened cage covering our patio but that is likely to be torn down in the storm. Do I need to do anything on the front end to mitigate water quality issues? Thank you in advance!

Checkout this thread...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice looking build. I'm just not experienced enough with the well pump to give you guidance. Hopefully others will chime in.

This is probably an obvious question, but did you ask your PB what you need to do?

Hello Doc,

Lived in central Florida for 20+ years and haven't lost my birdcage yet, so lets plan on going into this game with your chin up and with confidence please. I have lost some of the screening not so bad right in 22 years Cat 1,2,3,and 4's...
First, have a plan, to remove excess rain water from your pool, both with your power on and with power off (a couple of hoses/siphon action etc.). Pick your spots when and IF TO GO OUTSIDE to any perform work. You and your family's SAFTEY IS first.
It can't hurt to bring your pool up to SLAM level some time, just before the storm arrives would be ideal time.
Have LC on hand and add daily as necessary and mix by hand as needed ( i.e. kayak paddle, pool brush ).

Here's hoping the best for everyone stay safe.

Pete

I’m planning on lowering the water tomorrow in prep for the hurricane. I don’t know how to turn off my skimmer. I have a covered pool so not worried about debris. Can someone tell me?

Also I have LC - what amount should I put in? What level should FC be at? I can’t leave my pump running as we have solar and batteries and I need to conserve power. So bump it right up? And keep adding throughout?. I don’t have auto fill and empty - so will need to go out when safe to empty. Anything I’ve missed?

Attachments

• 766344E9-A037-4F95-8046-BF6A41CF14DB.jpeg
    766344E9-A037-4F95-8046-BF6A41CF14DB.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 9
Turn the handle marked SKIMMER so that it is vertical - up/down.

With CYA 60 you can raise your FC up to 24.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.