Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi,

Attached is the label from my 2-speed filter motor pump. I don't understand the 1.5/.20 HP specification. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also I suspect the issue I am having with it requires a new run capacitor. I replaced the start capacitor this morning and it didn't resolve the issue, which is causing the motor to hum, start up, start to draw water through the pump and then stop. The impeller turns freely, so no it's not seized up. I will try a new run capacitor tomorrow, although the timer controller prevents easy access to the back cover.

If I need to replace the motor where is the best place to shop online for it? How do I go about ensuring I am replacing it with one that is compatible with my Hayward Super II pump?

Thanks.
20201211_163354.jpg

The motor is rated as 1.5 hp in high and 0.20 hp in low speed. SF of 1.3. So THP is 1.95 and 0.26.

InyoPools carries motors for all types of pumps. If you change the HP rating you will need to see if you need to change the impeller and diffuser.

Reactions: DanF
Your pump has two speeds. At high speed it is 1.5 HP, at low speed it is 0.2 HP. However you have a SF (Service Factor) of 1.3. So your effective HP is 30% greater 1.5x1.3= 1.95 HP at high speed and 0.26 at low HP.

If you need to replace the motor you need an equivalent HP when accounting for HPxSF that fits a 56J frame. And 230 volts.

Last edited:
If you need to replace the motor you need an equivalent HP when accounting for HPxSF that fits a 56J frame. And 230 volts.

OK thanks. Now for Frames, Flanges and Frames...I found this motor which has a C-Flange but is a 56 Frame I believe. The bottom of the page has motors with a "C Face".
Would the linked motor work for me?

Thanks James. I've decided to replace my motor, as the pump is working fine.

1) My current 2-speed motor is "No longer Available" at InyoPools, but I found it here. I have to call for pricing, but do you think this motor will be compatible with my current one and work with my Super II?

2) I am also considering a VS motor in the event I can't locate my 2-speed. Inyo pools has these 2:
VS Motors.png
Given my current motor's HP and SF can I go with the 1.65HP motor? Is there any benefit to the larger HP motor?

Note: I will also purchase and install a pump "tune-up kit" along with the new motor.

1) My current 2-speed motor is "No longer Available" at InyoPools, but I found it here. I have to call for pricing, but do you think this motor will be compatible with my current one and work with my Super II?

Your motor has a J flange. The motor you linked to has a C flange. I don't think it will work.

• J (Round Flange with Threaded Shaft) – This is the standard for round flange motors for modern pumps. The J-frame features a threaded shaft for impeller installation.
  • C (Round Flange with Keyed Shaft) – These motors have a notch that runs the length of the exposed motor shaft that is called a key. The keyway allows for the brass key extension to be slid over the motor shaft. It is secured in place by two or three screws. It is mostly used on cast iron and bronze pumps. The keyed shaft motor is being phased out in favor of the standard threaded shaft.

2) I am also considering a VS motor in the event I can't locate my 2-speed. Inyo pools has these 2:
View attachment 170761
Given my current motor's HP and SF can I go with the 1.65HP motor? Is there any benefit to the larger HP motor?

Once you go to a VS motor it is a variable HP motor. You buy a VS motor to run it at a low efficient RPM & HP.

The higher HP motor will be more efficient at the same HP as the lower HP motor. So long term you will use less electricity with the higher VS HP motor.

Let's say your pool needs the flow of 0.5 HP. The 1.65 HP VS motor will require maybe 1500 rpm whereas the 2.7 HP motor can loaf along at 1000 rpm doing 0.5 HP using less electricity.

Your motor has a J flange. The motor you linked to has a C flange. I don't think it will work.
Thanks Allen. Interesting that the pump has the same CAT No. as mine though. Oh well.
The higher HP motor will be more efficient at the same HP as the lower HP motor. So long term you will use less electricity with the higher VS HP motor.
OK makes sense. But either will work with my impeller and pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The EB2977T is what you have. So, the replacement will work.

It is a 56-J Frame with a 5/8" diameter threaded stainless steel shaft and a C-Face/flange Mount.

A 56C frame has a “C” face and a keyed shaft.

Centurion and Centurion SE motors have a 6.5” diameter shell. A.O. Smith two compartment motors have a 5.625” diameter shell.

Either diameter can be 56C or 56J.

A 56Y frame has a diameter of about 6.5" and is a square flange.

A 48Y frame a diameter of about 5.5" and it is a square flange.

Last edited:
Note that the referenced motor says "C-Flange" and not "C Frame", which is confusing.

What is the model number of the pump from the pump label?

What is the impeller part number from the impeller?

The pump model number should be something like SP3015X20AZ. See the label just below the “H” as shown in the picture below.

W3SP3010X15A-04.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks James.
What is the model number of the pump from the pump label?

What is the impeller part number from the impeller?
Unfortunately the label is no longer there. I won't be able to determine the impeller P/N until I remove and disassemble the old pump. I guess I should do that prior to ordering the new pump? My pump's strainer lid is an SP-3100D if that helps.

Here are the total hp requirements for each impeller.
Part number..........total hp required
SPX3005C..............0.75
SPX3007C..............1.0
SPX3010C..............1.5
SPX3016C..............2.0
SPX3021C..............2.5

Thanks James. I am assuming these are minimum THPs? In other words if I went with the V-Green 2.7 HP motor, it would work with all impellers?

I am assuming these are minimum THPs? In other words if I went with the V-Green 2.7 HP motor, it would work with all impellers?
Correct, the hp numbers are minimum total hp.

However, I would go with the biggest impeller that the motor will take so that you can run the motor as slow as possible for any given flow.

Also, the motor is designed to operate best when it is loaded by the correct impeller.

For the 1.65 total hp motor, I would use the SPX3010C impeller.

For the 2.7 total hp motor, I would use the SPX3021C impeller, which would also require a SPX3021B diffuser and a SPX3021R wear ring.

I recommend the PS-3868 "Ozone/Salt" rated seal and seal installation lube when installing the new seal.

Merged threads - TFP Mod
My filter pump motor died a few days ago and I've been doing a little research for replacement motors. My current motor is a two-speed, 1.5/.2 HP one with an on-board digital timer. It seems like similar motors are difficult to find, so I have been looking as VS motors.

I have a Hayward Super II pump, but I am unsure what the model number is. @JamesW has been helpful in providing info on motor nomenclature, HP, and impeller sizes. Due to the age of my pump I will likely purchase a new diffuser and impeller, and of course a shaft seal and gaskets.

For those of you that own the 1.65 HP V-Green, how do you find the programming interface? I read the manual earlier and it seems fairly clunky and limiting. For example there's no clock included. Just wondering if I should go with the 2.7HP - even though I don't really need the horsepower - just to get the much better controller. Century (the manufacturer) offers a wi-fi interface but I don't really need that.

Just looking for your thoughts - thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
For those of you that own the 1.65 HP V-Green, how do you find the programming interface? I read the manual earlier and it seems fairly clunky and limiting. For example there's no clock included. Just wondering if I should go with the 2.7HP - even though I don't really need the horsepower - just to get the much better controller. Century (the manufacturer) offers a wi-fi interface but I don't really need that.

Just looking for your thoughts - thanks.

Dan,

I have had the 1.86 V Green installed for about a year. Couple of things might be helpful for you:
  • It does have a clock and it's very easy to set. Has 3 separate speeds plus an over-ride speed. The unit is controlled by the internal timer or digital inputs. The internal timer settings will be used unless there is a digital input signal
  • The digital input board included also has an RS-486 input that requires a protocol adapter for automation systems. I did not use this feature since I found the digital inputs were more than adequate.
  • How do you currently operate the pump and swg? If you do this with a timer you can operate the VS pump the same way. You also have the option to use digital inputs. This is what I do. It's very easy to set up or you could just set the pump to run at high speed for a certain period to clean the surface with the skimmer then switch to a second slower speed to the minimum speed for the swg. This has the potential to save you a lot of power cost.
  • You should use the impeller that James recommended (SPX3010C). Check to be sure you have the correct diffuser for this size impeller. Sometimes manufacturers have two different diffuser sizes. One for the smaller impellers and another for the larger ones.
I'm very happy with the performance of the V-Green. I have a more complex setup than you do with a solar and gas heater in addition to the swg that each use different speeds. I have Intellicenter automation but don't use it to control the pump other than to start/stop the pump and the swg. I do use the digital inputs to "up" the speed for operation when the solar is called for or the gas heater is operated. Very simple to do with digital inputs.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks for your response Chris! I'll address your comments/questions below:
  • It does have a clock and it's very easy to set. Has 3 separate speeds plus an over-ride speed. The unit is controlled by the internal timer or digital inputs. The internal timer settings will be used unless there is a digital input signal
    • Perhaps I'm dense but I didn't see a clock in the manual.
  • The digital input board included also has an RS-486 input that requires a protocol adapter for automation systems. I did not use this feature since I found the digital inputs were more than adequate.
    • I'm not familiar with digital inputs. How do they work?
  • How do you currently operate the pump and swg? If you do this with a timer you can operate the VS pump the same way. You also have the option to use digital inputs. This is what I do. It's very easy to set up or you could just set the pump to run at high speed for a certain period to clean the surface with the skimmer then switch to a second slower speed to the minimum speed for the swg. This has the potential to save you a lot of power cost.
    • Currently I have a 2 speed pump motor controlled by an on-board digital timer. My SWG is plugged into an external digital timer which I set to be within my pump run times. Would like to learn more about digital inputs.
  • You should use the impeller that James recommended (SPX3010C). Check to be sure you have the correct diffuser for this size impeller. Sometimes manufacturers have two different diffuser sizes. One for the smaller impellers and another for the larger ones.
    • Definitely will use that impeller along with the proper diffuser, and install new seals, gaskets and O-rings.
I need to get moving on motor selection as my pool has been without for 3-4 days now. Luckily it's winter! I may go ahead and get the 1.65 V-green and worry about the digital inputs later. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.