How to test LED on IntelliBrite 5G

rconway

Jul 22, 2020
Belmont, CA
The light in our pool suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago...below is additional background and results of my testing.
  • IntelliBrite 5G LED white light; 120V; picture attached
  • No circuit was ever blown at panel
  • Tested GFCI and was fine, replaced it anyway
  • Tested at junction box for power; confirmed 120V
  • Tested for continuity through the light on black and neutral lines; read about 3.5
  • Completed an insulation test of the black and neutral lines to ground with a megger. In both cases I got readings well in excess of 100 megohms

Since I have 120V at the JBOX I know that the problem is downstream of it. Insulation is good...and I seem to have continuity through the LED. Is there something obvious that I'm missing? I am really hoping to isolate the issue to the board (LED engine) before ordering a new one as I'm not convinced that will remedy the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 13
You can do a simple check, but you need to open it. Inside its an electronics board with 4 nuts, unscrew and remove, theres a connector on the back. Unplug and test voltage at that point, it should be 12VAC. If not then you have a good board that is quite expensive and just need the housing that has the embedded transformer.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up removing the board from the light to test voltage across the leads that connect to it. Barely any reading at all, so I'm assuming that the transformer is bad (since I have 120V at the box). Seems the light is shot.

Since it looks like I'm replacing it anyway are there recommendations on a different aftermarket light...or just stick with the Pentair?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 13
If you have a power supply add 12VAC to the board and see if it light. If it works list it on ebay or craiglist and offset the cost of a new one. I would stick with pentair, but are know for issues like this. You can call inyopool.com and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
I have the same problem as rconway has with his 5G transformer being bad.
Who sells the rear housing with the embedded transformer that Flying Tivo recommends?
What is the part number? Pentair is of no help.
How many watts does this embedded transformer handle?
Thank you for any help.

I have the same problem as rconway has with his 5G transformer being bad.
Who sells the rear housing with the embedded transformer that Flying Tivo recommends?
What is the part number? Pentair is of no help.
How many watts does this embedded transformer handle?
Thank you for any help.

Welcome to TFP.

No one sells the rear housing with the embedded transformer. You can buy a new light and then keep your old light engine as a spare or sell it on eBay if you know it works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.