How to Take out the Filter

Aug 17, 2017
ny
I have this Filter System (Picture Below). I want to take out the filter and clean it. I could not find a single video regarding how to open it.

I am new to pool, so I dont want to mess it up.

any help would be appreciated.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
I read the manual...I used my full power to open the "Locking Ring" (Black Top Ring), but it would not move...thats why i was wondering there has to be a way to open the TOP filter head easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Top only has 1 screw, which is for "Air Relief"

Some models have a little tab that locks in the ring to keep it from vibrating loose. Check for one of these before you get too physical with it. Also make sure all the pressure is bled off from the bleed screw in the top. If that doesn't work gently tap around the ring with a rubber hammer. Sometimes dirt gets in the threads and makes it difficult to unscrew. Clean it real well with a hose before assembly and you can always add some silicone lube on the threads.

I hope this helps.

Chris

What would be ideal would be a strap wrench. Seeing as I dont have one when I change my oil filter I use an old leather belt or strop strap. Just put the strap on and use the hanging end of the strap to pull in the opposite direction to twist it off
Dunno why you are having trouble though unless it was cross threaded? Only usually done up to 'hand tight' :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, looks like it was installed too tight, had dirt on threads, or cross-threaded (not too likely unless it's leaking). Use the belt wrench method Caco suggests and install a rod or long screwdriver in the buckle for leverage. Don't use too much force or you'll break it. Instead bump it lightly and move around the ring. With a little patience it will start to move then you're good. Another method is to do the same thing with a block of wood and rubber hammer. Work your way around at every other notch. If you have trouble try doing opposite sides one after another. Trick is moderate force and patience. After you get it open inspect/replace gasket then lube very lightly with silicone then hand tighten only.

I hope this helps.

Chris

One last thing... make sure your release any pressure or vacuum first. Do this with the bleed valve at the top or remove the pressure gauge. Even slight pressure/vacuum will make it almost impossible to open without breaking it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.