How to sink AGP and build deck in 30 days

I fussed at Home Depot for putting severely twisted boards out to sell. A bow is one thing but over 1" twist in the board is unacceptable.

I recently found out if you show a worker a board like that they mark it and you can get it at 75% off, not good if you need a whole board but if its going to be cut smaller or you don't mind the blemishes it's worth it. Recently found that out and got a couple boards for cheap, they were mostly ones that had a rounded edge.

Reactions: GJones
I recently found out if you show a worker a board like that they mark it and you can get it at 75% off, not good if you need a whole board but if its going to be cut smaller or you don't mind the blemishes it's worth it. Recently found that out and got a couple boards for cheap, they were mostly ones that had a rounded edge.
That's good to know. Unfortunately I am using more of the board than could be saved. It's all good it was the principal behind it. They are wanting you to pay $5.50 for a 4ft board that is jacked up lol. On a positive note, they are dry as all get out for pressure treated so I will be able to restrain them when I stain the deck. Wife was happy to hear that lol.

It's been a few days but progress is still being made on Operation Pool Side. Yesterday went and got all the lumber for the deck frame (I hope). The day before I spent the day drawing up the plans and laying out the stakes to mark the deck area. The day before that I put up all the surround that I could (waiting on HomeDepot to get their new shipment in. Back to today, I got the main part of the deck frame up and the gopher screen down. It would be much easier if I could pre-dig the holes and cut the 4x4's but due to our yard not being level each board and hole is dug to order lol. Adds a lot more time but everything is level ?.

Attachments

• 20190505_152102.jpg
    20190505_152102.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190505_152046.jpg
    20190505_152046.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190505_152055.jpg
    20190505_152055.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Love
Reactions: Joanie2100
Looking good. I'm getting ready to add onto my pool deck. I was going to do it last year but life threw a major curve ball at us. So... this summer I'm going to finish my decking.

Reactions: GJones
A short day of work today. Daughter gets out of school early today then I have to pick up my son 1.5 hrs later so no point in continuing. Just under halfway on the main deck joists.
I had some 60pfc 4x4's that I am using for added support on the main deck. Yes those others are 2x4's. The deck is not supporting 1000s of lbs so 2x6 spanning 6" is overkill and $5 more a board lol. Am using 6"x6" pavers as center supports. I can tell you there is zero give by the joists.

Attachments

• 20190506_114156.jpg
    20190506_114156.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 38
That is some major work done right there! Did you make the deck so you could use standard length boards? I ask because someone asked us to help lay their deck but we walked away when we saw we would have to cut every single board due to them not planning ahead! I kinda get the feeling you are the plan ahead kind of guy!

That is some major work done right there! Did you make the deck so you could use standard length boards? I ask because someone asked us to help lay their deck but we walked away when we saw we would have to cut every single board due to them not planning ahead! I kinda get the feeling you are the plan ahead kind of guy!
I am the plan ahead guy but due to the limitations of a round pool and the type of deck the wife wants I have to cut every joist board ?. It really is not an issue just adds a little more time. The frame is all standard length except the last 2 where the deck will end.
Funny thing, and Kim you said it in an early post. After I got the frame up the wife said, "Wow this is bigger than I thought." Hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put in work work today! The main deck is done minus some prep work for the decking. Got the main joists in on Deck #1 along with 1 of the 2 cemented 4x4 support poles. Other one is cut just ran out of time. I did forget to pick up more gopher screen this morning to go under deck #1 but that is easy to fix. Moving along. Am "hoping" (key word) to be putting the deck on this weekend. We will see.

Attachments

• 20190507_140802.jpg
    20190507_140802.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190507_140755.jpg
    20190507_140755.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 63
Anybody using the pool yet?
Nope because Daddy has not cleaned it lol. My salt, fc, and ph are good to go but the water looks dirty due to all the dirt that has settled on the bottom. I am hoping to getting around to working the pool this week. But I have to finish Deck #1 first. That is where the ladder will be so it is priority right now.

Had a friend stop by unexpectedly yesterday and was a world of help. Got the framing totally done with his help. My son jumped in and got all the joints barrier taped and protected. It was a mad dash to get all that done due to the rain in the forecast for last night. We still have the gopher screen to put down on the 2 sides and reset pavers but that is quick and easy.
Tomorrow I will be picking up the decking and sealer so hopefully will be laying decking down tomorrow evening.
I finally got around to fixing the pool plumbing so now the pool is looking crystal clear. Some stuff left to vacuum up but my little Wanda whale is working on it.

Attachments

• 20190510_153852.jpg
    20190510_153852.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190510_153817.jpg
    20190510_153817.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 62
Well after 3hrs of searching through lumber yesterday we got all the decking. Over 100 pieces of lumber on a little uhaul trailer lol. We got a few of the boards down yesterday afternoon in the heat and are back at it bright and early this morning. I don't anticipate being done today but we will get as far as we can.

Stay cool today its gonna be a hot one here.

Attachments

• 20190512_060729.jpg
    20190512_060729.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190512_060742.jpg
    20190512_060742.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 51
It seems as if the hardest part of building anything with wood is finding good wood :roll:
It was a chore but I knew it would be especially since I was getting untreated wood. I chose untreated for 3 reasons: 1) It does not rain a lot here where I live. 2) Cost per board was $5 more for treated and $30 more for plained decking boards and $35 more for composite. 3) I'm not scared to do the extra work sanding rough spots and treating the deck every year or 2. Heck my son has it down to a science now hahaha.
Back in the day treated boards were not even around and decks lasted forever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.