Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here.
So if my pentair ichlorinator 30 will output 1 lb of fc in 24 hours but it’s rated for a 30,000 gallon pool does that mean it outputs 2 lbs of free chlorine in 24 hrs for a 15,000 gallon pool? Or no the gallons of ur pool is only accounted when you figure out how much chlorine gas is needed to keep up with your fc daily loss?

My unit is oversized like recommended for my 15,000 pool so I figured I’d be running it at 50% compared to someone having to run their 30,000 gallon pool at 100%. But Using the 1 lb of fc per 24 hrs, average of 2 fc loss each day amounts to 4 ounces of gas chlorine which says is have to run my unit at 100% for 6 hours. So if I want to use it at 50% I’d have to run it for 12 hours. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if my pentair ichlorinator 30 will output 1 lb of fc in 24 hours but it’s rated for a 30,000 gallon pool does that mean it outputs 2 lbs of free chlorine in 24 hrs for a 15,000 gallon pool? Or no the gallons of ur pool is only accounted when you figure out how much chlorine gas is needed to keep up with your fc daily loss?

My unit is oversized like recommended for my 15,000 pool so I figured I’d be running it at 50% compared to someone having to run their 30,000 gallon pool at 100%. But Using the 1 lb of fc per 24 hrs, average of 2 fc loss each day amounts to 4 ounces of gas chlorine which says is have to run my unit at 100% for 6 hours. So if I want to use it at 50% I’d have to run it for 12 hours. Is that correct?
Actually I think I have the i Chlor 40

So if my pentair ichlorinator 30 will output 1 lb of fc in 24 hours but it’s rated for a 30,000 gallon pool does that mean it outputs 2 lbs of free chlorine in 24 hrs for a 15,000 gallon pool
No it means that a 15k unit only puts out 1/2 lb which is what a 15k unit needs over 24 hours. By going twice as big you’ll usually only have to run 12 hours instead of 24. (Or whatever the production and volumes end up being).

with a finite lifespan from usage on any unit, less runtime means longer life by an exact amount. A 2X unit will last twice as long with all else being the same.

It’s also miserable to fine tune everyone’s unit in different climates and at different UV demand points during the season. ‘Well *about* how long should I run it*.’ Lol. It depends on many factors so it’s easiest to start at 50% / 12 hours and go from there. If it has too much FC the next day, Lower it. If it doesn’t have enough FC, raise it.

You will start low for the season and have to adjust it up (roughly monthly) until the mid point of the season and then adjust it down for the back half of the season. Mine went 20/40/60/40/20. 5 adjustments total in 7-ish months. The adjusting times changed year over year depending on if it was hot or cool that year at both the beginning and the end of the season. Pretty much July 4th to late August was the high demand part up here.

Reactions: an1vrsy
It’s also miserable to fine tune everyone’s unit in different climates and at different UV demand points during the season. ‘Well *about* how long should I run it*.’ Lol. It depends on many factors so it’s easiest to start at 50% / 12 hours and go from there. If it has too much FC the next day, Lower it. If it doesn’t have enough FC, raise it.

You will start low for the season and have to adjust it up (roughly monthly) until the mid point of the season and then adjust it down for the back half of the season. Mine went 20/40/60/40/20. 5 adjustments total in 7-ish months. The adjusting times changed year over year depending on if it was hot or cool that year at both the beginning and the end of the season. Pretty much July 4th to late August was the high demand part up here.
Thanks, great info. I appreciate it.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.