How to raise main pool shelf

Therapydoc

Apr 29, 2023
Missouri
What would be the best way to raise my pool shelf? I messed up and set grade at the pool house and I should’ve done it at the main house. I thought they were same grade but obviously now. For the flat parts of shallow and deep end and slope I’m having concrete poured and troweled smooth so I can add rock in the main pool. I guess the main question is what’s the best way to raise the walls up? I’m needing to gain maybe 2-3”. The way it sits now the finished concrete will about the same height as my current poured patio. I am putting in deck drains but I’m afraid if same height with a heavy rain, a lot of water may make it into the pool. The space between pool at current poured concrete is 4’.

Welcome to TFP.

Pictures of your current situation may help us understand your problem.

So you need to raise your bond beam by 3"?

What were you planning to do for coping at what thickness?

Can you use thicker stones for coping and build up the bond beam with maybe an inch of mortar to get your 3"?

@AQUA~HOLICS may have thoughts.

A80CF3C8-7904-406E-887E-43250FE9BABD.jpeg4DA6C283-B573-4F07-824D-669E156E1900.jpeg

Here’s what I have going on. Currently the walls sit about 4.5” below the concrete slab on bottom of pics. I’m pouring concrete for surround. I’m using forms that connect to the coping. They come in Tuesday with the auto cover. I don’t know exactly how tall they are but im guessing they are 3” plus coping may add another inch. I think I need about 2-3”. Would 1 inch clean rock work or will the collar concrete try to push it out in the deep end ?

How much space is between the pool and house ? I had a similar situation even with the pool at grade level for the house. I put in a 33x40 patio between the two and it had to be pitched down from the house and pool and also pitched down towards both sides. The cement guy tried his best and although runoff is much less than it would have been had it been pitched into the pool like he was going to do, lots of water still goes into the pool. (With no ill effects except for more draining).

He said that most pools that he does are pitched into the pool on the house side or else that water would go towards the house. He only agreed to try my plan because of how large the patio was and how much water it would be dumping.

If you don't have alot of space between the house and pool to do like I did, I'd go with it gently sloped down from the pool and a channel drain.

Screenshot_20230429_203727_Gallery.jpg

*edit. Crud. Just saw your pics and that's not alot of space to work with. But on the plus side, it won't be a ton of runoff either if the house has gutters

Somehow I assumed we were discussing a gunite pool with a bond beam. Now I see you are building a liner pool.

What is the depth profile of the pool?

I see the rectangle holes where your skimmer will go. That sets your water level. All of the adjustments of the concrete collar and deck are not going to change the water level. It look like you will have 7" or more of a drop from the deck to the water level and that amount of liner exposed.

Would 1 inch clean rock work or will the collar concrete try to push it out in the deep end ?

I can't visualize what you are planning to do. Maybe others can.

Is the point of the arrow as low as it looks in the pic ? A drain would work great to that general area (or further if need be) if so.

Screenshot_20230429_204504_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Boat Drinks 74
How much space is between the pool and house ? I had a similar situation even with the pool at grade level for the house. I put in a 33x40 patio between the two and it had to be pitched down from the house and pool and also pitched down towards both sides. The cement guy tried his best and although runoff is much less than it would have been had it been pitched into the pool like he was going to do, lots of water still goes into the pool. (With no ill effects except for more draining).

He said that most pools that he does are pitched into the pool on the house side or else that water would go towards the house. He only agreed to try my plan because of how large the patio was and how much water it would be dumping.

If you don't have alot of space between the house and pool to do like I did, I'd go with it gently sloped down from the pool and a channel drain.

View attachment 487283

*edit. Crud. Just saw your pics and that's not alot of space to work with. But on the plus side, it won't be a ton of runoff either if the house has gutters

I have 4 feet between house slab and pool. It’s just an open slab that’s about 12’ from house. I do have gutters but I figured 50’x12’ slab may catch quite a bit of rain. On the poolhouse side I have 20’ to play with so no worries there. I can dig that down.

Somehow I assumed we were discussing a gunite pool with a bond beam. Now I see you are building a liner pool.

What is the depth profile of the pool?

I see the rectangle holes where your skimmer will go. That sets your water level. All of the adjustments of the concrete collar and deck are not going to change the water level. It look like you will have 7" or more of a drop from the deck to the water level and that amount of liner exposed.

I can't visualize what you are planning to do. Maybe others can.
It will be a 9’ diving pool. Plan is to dig the hopper tomorrow. These are 42” walls. I’m not worried about pool water depth, just the deck draining so I don’t have to watch the pool water level too close with rains. I was thinking about adding rock in the bottom of the pool everywhere including under the walls to add support for concrete floor and raise my walls up in order to raise my deck height up. (Yes I have to take them back out).

Is the point of the arrow as low as it looks in the pic ? A drain would work great to that general area (or further if need be) if so.

View attachment 487285
Plan is to put two deck drains (2” wide) along the 40’ sides that will be 40’ long on each side. The left side has a large retaining wall and the little bit will collect in the auto cover I do believe which has a drain itself. On the right side there will be a 4’ concrete slab that will slope away from pool

Anyone know how tall the forms usually are for a finished concrete edge on the pool? Supposed to be foam or metal forms that attach to coping for the poured deck.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking about adding rock in the bottom of the pool everywhere including under the walls to add support for concrete floor and raise my walls up in order to raise my deck height up. (Yes I have to take them back out).

I thought you were looking to work with the set of the walls and add height above it.

If you are removing and resetting the walls higher can't you reset all the grades?

I thought you were looking to work with the set of the walls and add height above it.

If you are removing and resetting the walls higher can't you reset all the grades?
That’s what I’m looking at doing. Just trying to figure out what to add. I assume dirt won’t be compacted enough and walls may move. I’m thinking 1” clean or 1” minus rock to raise the grade up

What materials are your walls?

Unfortunately the expert on building liner pools is no longer around here. Lets see who may step forward with advice.

Can you take your pic and mark it up with the adjustments you are thinking of?

You are correct in not wanting to build on disturbed ground.

57 stone gravel is used in overdig areas and requires little compaction.

What size is 57 gravel? Around here it is sized by actual size of the rocks. Walls are polymer and have polymer supports. Obviously the stakes and rebar wall supports will still be in the undisturbed soil once driven down

57 gravel has both AASHTO size #5 & size #7 rocks.

AASHTO_size_of_Coarse_Aggregate_.png

What about a footer to raise the walls ? The floor should be fine with gravel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.