How to proceed after Leslie’s test and my Taylor 2600 comparison.

Jul 27, 2018
Clovis,Ca
I was recently gone at work for a handful of days and there wasn’t chlorine added. With the temps being over 100, I knew the FC levels would be low since I shocked it on the 3rd knowing I would be gone for a handful of days.
Yesterday my results from my Taylor 2600:
FC: 0.8
CC: 0.0
PH: 8.0
TA: 100
CH: 260
CYA: 30

I shocked the pool with 1 1/2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine then later put in a gallon of muriatic acid.

Everywhere close to my house was out of chlorine and I had the 3 little ones with me. I decided to take a sample of water to Leslie’s and see their price for liquid chlorine. Leslie’s test yielded the following:

FC: 7.12
Total Chlorine: 8.83
PH: 7.5
TA: 88
CH: 282
CYA: 33
Iron: 0.1
Copper: 0
Phosphates: 2985
TDS: 4600

they asked me if I had a saltwater pool and I told them I did not, but the previous owners could have had it as a saltwater prior (who knows what they had over the 7 years they had the pool). They told me I need to completely drain my pool because nothing will mix properly with a TDS of 4600. I informed them that all I use is Liquid Chlorine and Muriatic Acid.

How should I proceed with adding chemicals and balancing my water?

Dom,

I'm confused.. Is the first set of number before you added 1.5 gallons of 10% LC and 1 gallon of 31.5 MA?

1.5 gallons of LC should have increased your FC by about 11 ppm

1 gallon of 31.5 MA would have reduced your pH by 2.16 or below 6..

I would not go into a Leslies to just use their bathroom, much less let then test my pool water.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: DomFoster
Dom,

I'm confused.. Is the first set of number before you added 1.5 gallons of 10% LC and 1 gallon of 31.5 MA?

1.5 gallons of LC should have increased your FC by about 11 ppm

1 gallon of 31.5 MA would have reduced your pH by 2.16 or below 6..

I would not go into a Leslies to just use their bathroom, much less let then test my pool water.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
My bad, I didn't explain that very well. The first set of numbers is prior to adding in the LC and MA. I didn't test it today with my kit.

Hahaha. I am not a fan of Leslie's either, it was my only option to try and get LC. I opted out of buying the liquid chlorine from them. I am having the wife pick up some on her way home from work on the other side of town.

I had to pick up a basket for my robot at Leslie's yesterday so I took a water sample for fun... and it's free, so why not.

The guy said "whoa, your chlorine is 6.12, let me get you some chlorine neutralizer"

I said "do you know what would happen if I didn't put chlorine in for 2 days?"

He said "it would evaporate?"

I said "my chlorine would be at 0... thanks for your help but I don't need any chlorine neutralizer" (I wasn't being rude or cocky btw, might be hard to tell the way I'm telling the story"

Then he said "yeah, but if I don't try and sell you some chemicals I'll get in trouble"

We both kinda laughed and I went on my way.

I had to pick up a basket for my robot at Leslie's yesterday so I took a water sample for fun... and it's free, so why not.

The guy said "whoa, your chlorine is 6.12, let me get you some chlorine neutralizer"

I said "do you know what would happen if I didn't put chlorine in for 2 days?"

He said "it would evaporate?"

I said "my chlorine would be at 0... thanks for your help but I don't need any chlorine neutralizer" (I wasn't being rude or cocky btw, might be hard to tell the way I'm telling the story"

Then he said "yeah, but if I don't try and sell you some chemicals I'll get in trouble"

We both kinda laughed and I went on my way.
I was actually surprised when I tried to buy the liquid conditioner to raise my CYA to 50 they tried to convince me that I don't need it. I told them I appreciate it, but my goal is to get it to 50. They said, but at 33 CYA you are within a normal range. Their idea of normal range is 30-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.