How to drain my pool

defender2020

Sep 24, 2020
Fort Worth
I need drain my pool half way to lower my CYA. How should I set my valves to accomplish this? I set my multiport valve to waste, turned the pump on and ran it until the water was at skimmer level, then I turned the two valves to the 9 o'clock position for skimmer to shut them off. Them pump got super noisy so I shut it off.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 12
I need drain my pool half way to lower my CYA. How should I set my valves to accomplish this? I set my multiport valve to waste, turned the pump on and ran it until the water was at skimmer level, then I turned the two valves to the 9 o'clock position for skimmer to shut them off. Them pump got super noisy so I shut it off. the PVC pipes from left to right are, Skimmer, Skimmer, Main Drain, Pool Return, Water Feature.

Welcome to the forum!
The safest way to drain water from your pool is to buy or rent a sump pump. Using your pool pump for that purpose is risky, as you found.

If you wish to accept the risk to the pool pump, we need to know if your main drain is plumbed back to your equipment pad. I cannot read what is on your lines as the pictures as posted are too small.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

EDIT - your second post that I moved to this thread shows you have the MD plumbed back to the pad. You would close off the two skimmers and use only the main drain for suction. This is still quite risky as it is easy to lose prime using the MD only. If you wish to follow this, you should closely monitor the pump so if it loses prime, you can turn it off. You can damage the pump quickly by running it without water.

You can always use your vacuum hose as long as you have a sloping area outside of your pool. Hang one end into the pool to the depth you want to drain to. Stretch out your hose as straight as possible making sure the other end is lower than the end in the pool. The lower it is the better it will drain. Now pick up that end making it the highest point and fill it with a garden hose until it's full. Drop it back to the ground and let the siphoning begin. It will automatically stop when the water reaches the level of the hose end in your pool. I've used this method for years...works great and it's free

Reactions: Dirk
I used a garden hose once. Took a bit longer, but worked fine. Put hose in pool, turned it on to fill hose, crimped hose with hand, then unscrewed it from the hose bib. Dragged that end to where it was lower than the other end in the pool, and let go of the crimp. Instant siphon. That'll work if you don't have a vac hose. Repeat with multiple hoses to speed up the process.

The important part of 26venus' tip: you set the end in the pool where you want the siphoning to stop. If it were me, and I just threw the hose in, I'd forget about it five minutes later and come back next day to an empty pool. Same goes for a sump pump. If you set a siphon hose up so it can't shift around, it won't drain more than you want it to, even if you go take a nap!!

Reactions: Aldis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.