How to close an above ground?

Jul 31, 2022
USA
Last year when I closed, I used a 24' pool cover for my 24' pool. The real issue is that the cover barely covered the pool (and didn't cover the skimmer at all) and ended up ripping, letting water and debris in through most of the winter season.

My neighbor seems to use a larger cover with just jugs hanging off the side (not even touching the ground), and the cover still sinks down to the water level (looks like he had a pump in there all season with a hose coming off the side). I've been trying to catch him outside to ask him some questions, but with my work schedule, and he being a much older gentleman, I rarely see him when he's outside.

So, before the season comes to an end, I want to prepare for closing. Should I get a 28' cover this year? I've been stashing away my laundry detergent bottles and liquid chlorine bottles to try and do what my neighbor did.

Thoughts/help/suggestions?

Thanks!

Some brands come 4 feet larger when you order the correct size, in your case 24 feet. It should say so in the description when buying it. I just ordered a winter cover for my not yet installed new pool and it said in the description that it had a 4 foot overhang; I basically ordered the same cover as I used to order.

The other thing is how much you need to drop the water. My last pool was installed 21 years ago and the height distance between the skimmer and the return was quite a lot; seeing photos on the internet of the new pool it looks like there isn't as much as a distance between the skimmer and return which means I need to drop the water less, the cover I ordered should fit differently (better?) than it used to fit on my old pool.

Some brands come 4 feet larger when you order the correct size, in your case 24 feet. It should say so in the description when buying it. I just ordered a winter cover for my not yet installed new pool and it said in the description that it had a 4 foot overhang; I basically ordered the same cover as I used to order.

The other thing is how much you need to drop the water. My last pool was installed 21 years ago and the height distance between the skimmer and the return was quite a lot; seeing photos on the internet of the new pool it looks like there isn't as much as a distance between the skimmer and return which means I need to drop the water less, the cover I ordered should fit differently (better?) than it used to fit on my old pool.

I was told to drop the water level just below the skimmer line. The pool is 6 years old, and the return line is maybe an inch or 3 below that. So in total, I drain maybe 4-6” of water out.

I have plugs for both the return and skimmer.

I did use a pillow last season, but after a few weeks it shifted to the edge, and then deflated a week later so I’m not going to bother this year.

We don’t typically get high winds here, so I’m not going to wrap the sides.

I guess I’ll use the winch and jug method and see how that goes. I don’t think I’ll risk leaving the pump on the cover. I don’t want to risk a tear from it, nor is the cable that long to reach to the center of the pool without an extension.

For the jugs - should I alternate between hanging off the outside and half on the inside? Any idea on what works best?

I was told below the return way back when even though I did plug up the return. I may have gotten bad advice, I don't know.

I never used jugs, tried the pillow the first season and gave up but I will say wrapping the sides seemed to work somewhat. I think the trick is to get it tight on the ledge so wind doesn't make a sail out of it. I even used the wrap for the cover to my ladder! If enough water gets on top of the cover the wind doesn't push it around as much.

I’m not saying what I heard is correct, so I could’ve been given bad info as well. I’m just afraid of draining too much out.
I'm no expert and I did worry about the amount of water I was drawing down. I've read that an AG pool is made to resist the outward pressure of the water and not the inward pressure of the cover folding into the pool.

It's been 3 years since I had the pool but I think I must have drained about 2 feet of water (covers state they are good up to to 18 inches between the ledge and water line). Once I get the new pool and actually see the return depth vs what I remember I may just go to below the skimmer as well. In the photos I've seen it doesn't look like it is too far down the pool wall these days. In the years I had the pool I never had any issues with winter and I'm sure the water must have froze solid. The biggest issues for me were the water on the cover and the leaves, If we had a warmish day, it rained and I wasn't able to get out there the next thing I knew I had a skating rink on the pool. The leaves are a bear as they start to get funky being in the water. I used the pole skimmer to take them off the cover but they get heavy fast being waterlogged!

Where in the usa are u located?
Do u use a cover pump?
The cover should not go over the skimmer nor be allowed to pull on it in anyway. I use the little coated cable that comes with the cover & it goes under the top rail ABOVE the skimmer.
I drain below my top return, just below my skimmer a few inches. I don’t plug my skimmer & i remove the plumbing below it & leave the valve open so if water does make it’s way in there it will drain out.
All the returns get screwed in plugs with orings. I put the top one on the inside & the bottom one on the outside.
I keep the cover pumped off during the off season to prevent displaced water from exiting via the skimmer & keep the cover from putting any pressure on the top rails.
My automatic cover pump makes this easy. Although it must be removed when it’s freezing or the drain line will freeze & it can burn the pump up. I just set it on the deck.
I do cover the skimmer top with a tarp/bag of its own just so i can remove it easily & check on things like temp, fc, water level etc. & water doesn’t go into the hole in the lid.
I don’t use any kind of pillow. I gave that unnecessary rodeo up years ago. The cover rests on the pool water. No pressure on the top rails. I check it periodically to ensure this.
I do use binder clips to keep things from flapping in the wind too much.
I have a 33’ pool so i just ordered a 33’ Robelle replacement cover as that’s as big as they make. It is supposed to be 37’ around allowing for 4’ overlap just like my last one that came with the pool. The last one lasted 3 winters & this one is supposed to be a little thicker- same brand. I think keeping the cover as dry & clean as possible contributed to its longevity. I generally have 6” or so of overhang when its all said & done
I employed a leaf net on top of the cover last year - its great 👍🏻 I don’t use the cable with it - just the binder clips. It doesn’t really move.
After the bulk of the leaves drop in the late fall/early winter i dump it & replace it. Then again before opening the pool after the whirly birds & seed pods hit.
The pool is designed to contain water within its walls - the top rails are not designed to support all that weight so the cover should never pull on the top rails.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the cover is large enough to sit on the water completely all the way to the walls and then up and over there won't be any pressure on the on the top plates. Some also use a mesh netting cover in conjunction with the tarp cover so that can be lifted off with the debris separately then they pump off the water.

I did not drain down. I used plug for the return and an Aquador cover plate for my skimmer opening. And pool floats for my pillow. I also had 3/8" clear tubing inside of 4' of 3/4" PVC. PVC on the cover to hold the tube in place. Clear so you can see the water coming. This way when vacuum breaks it stops draining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.