How often should I have to vacuum?

MJuric

Aug 19, 2016
Byron, Il
I've had this pool for seven years now. My frequency of vacuuming seems to continuously go up. Last year I thought I had an algae issue so I shocked it. Still had the problem. Shocked again and left it shocked for quite a while despite otherwise clear water and no overnight drop.... Same problem.

This year, same thing. I can vacuum one night come home the next night and vacuum and there is a clear and significant later if something on the bottom of the pool. Over the last weekend I vacuumed twice a day. Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night. By Sunday morning nothing on the bottom, clear water but I continued anyway. Come home Monday night.... Have to vacuum.

I run the pump 3 to 4 hours a day everyday. Filter seems to be working as if I vacuum twice a day it captures everything.

I am in the process of running lower PH because the bottom of the pool got a build up on it and was rough. That was not the case last year though.

All the other Numbers seem to be fine.

We do have a lot of trees around but this is not debris but a greenish layer of stuff that clearly looks like algae that just settles out.

Any idea what I should be looking at.... Really tired of vacuuming.

Thank you.

You don't "need" to vacuum. That is mostly about aesthetics and not sanitation. So only vacuum when it bothers you.

But I might recommend getting a robot cleaner so it is not such a hassle.

I've had this pool for seven years now. My frequency of vacuuming seems to continuously go up. Last year I thought I had an algae issue so I shocked it. Still had the problem. Shocked again and left it shocked for quite a while despite otherwise clear water and no overnight drop.... Same problem.

This year, same thing. I can vacuum one night come home the next night and vacuum and there is a clear and significant later if something on the bottom of the pool. Over the last weekend I vacuumed twice a day. Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night. By Sunday morning nothing on the bottom, clear water but I continued anyway. Come home Monday night.... Have to vacuum.

I run the pump 3 to 4 hours a day everyday. Filter seems to be working as if I vacuum twice a day it captures everything.

I am in the process of running lower PH because the bottom of the pool got a build up on it and was rough. That was not the case last year though.

All the other Numbers seem to be fine.

We do have a lot of trees around but this is not debris but a greenish layer of stuff that clearly looks like algae that just settles out.

Any idea what I should be looking at.... Really tired of vacuuming.

Thank you.
Your experience is why auto cleaners were invented. Let dirt sit too long and you will get algae, regardless of the chlorine level in the water. Three to four hours of circulation is hardly enough for your pool. With a working weir in the skimmer and longer filter runs you won't get as much dirt on the bottom.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
How often do you brush the pool? I recommend at least once a week then vacuum as needed. When I was manual vacuuming I could go a couple weeks in between, Now I have an automatic vacuum that runs whenever the pump is on. Also regarding the time the pump is on. I only ran mine for 3-4 hours for years without issue but every pool is different.

A Trouble Free Pool really is pretty simple once you are in control.
Post your most recent water test using your TF-100 in this order
so we can help with your possible algae and scale accumulation.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Let dirt sit too long and you will get algae, regardless of the chlorine level in the water.
Sorry but this is simply not true. Algae is caused by algae spores which can be killed with proper FC levels, dirt or no dirt. I sometimes let dirt sit on my pool floor for weeks without any problems.

Also, I have a cartridge filter and clean it only once per year. Again no issues. Proper FC levels is the only thing needed.

Reactions: Oly
A Trouble Free Pool really is pretty simple once you are in control.
Post your most recent water test using your TF-100 in this order
so we can help with your possible algae and scale accumulation.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Current numbers.
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
PH 6.8 purposefully running low to descale
TA not tested since I started running lower PH.
CH 225
CYA 35

How often do you brush the pool? I recommend at least once a week then vacuum as needed. When I was manual vacuuming I could go a couple weeks in between, Now I have an automatic vacuum that runs whenever the pump is on. Also regarding the time the pump is on. I only ran mine for 3-4 hours for years without issue but every pool is different.
I'm manually vacuuming with a brush...as you can imagine not fun doing everyday.

It was my understanding that 3 to 4 hours a day is what you should be running. It has only been the last couple years that this has been an issue and I've been running 3 to 4 hours the entire time.

Your experience is why auto cleaners were invented. Let dirt sit too long and you will get algae, regardless of the chlorine level in the water. Three to four hours of circulation is hardly enough for your pool. With a working weir in the skimmer and longer filter runs you won't get as much dirt on the bottom.
But why am I having this issue the last two years and not the previous five? Nothing has changed that I can tell. If anything I've taken more care, watched chem levels, more regular vacuuming etc than I did the first two or three years to be certain.

Getting a robot vacuum is certainly an option but if something else is going on if like to understand what.

With a single speed pump, 3-4 hours is plenty. That is not the issue.

Leaves at the bottom of the pool do not cause algae problems. That is not the issue.

However, if you allow FC levels to dip below 10% of CYA or 3.5 ppm in your case, then that can cause algae issues.

How do you chlorinate your water?

Do you ever allow FC to dip below 3.5 ppm?
FC/CYA Levels

Do you use your own test kit? If not, you should. Do not rely on pool store tests. They are often wrong.
Test Kits Compared

Have you performed an OCLT?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a great question, If you are using pucks to chlorinate, your CYA may be through the roof causing you to need more FC to maintain the pool. I had this problem years ago and since have switched to liquid, then upgraded to a SWG last year. Have you checked your CYA levels recently?

**Never mind** just saw your numbers above. Are those from a tf-100 kit or pool store?

But why am I having this issue the last two years and not the previous five? Nothing has changed that I can tell. If anything I've taken more care, watched chem levels, more regular vacuuming etc than I did the first two or three years to be certain.

Getting a robot vacuum is certainly an option but if something else is going on if like to understand what.
A lot may have changed around you: new construction, or change in landscaping, or road work somewhere. Dirt gets into the air and can travel miles. Pools are ever changing.

This is a great question, If you are using pucks to chlorinate, your CYA may be through the roof causing you to need more FC to maintain the pool. I had this problem years ago and since have switched to liquid, then upgraded to a SWG last year. Have you checked your CYA levels recently?

**Never mind** just saw your numbers above. Are those from a tf-100 kit or pool store?
Tf 100 and I chlorinate manually adding liquid chlorine daily. I can not say that I never fall below a certain level FC but I've been very different this year and have general been on top of FC levels. Once or twice falling low, 1 ppm or so for less than a day.

With a single speed pump, 3-4 hours is plenty. That is not the issue.

Leaves at the bottom of the pool do not cause algae problems. That is not the issue.

However, if you allow FC levels to dip below 10% of CYA or 3.5 ppm in your case, then that can cause algae issues.

Do you ever allow FC to dip below 3.5 ppm?
FC/CYA Levels

Do you use your own test kit? If not, you should. Do not rely on pool store tests. They are often wrong.
Test Kits Compared

Have you performed an OCLT?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
I do an overnight drop after I shock. Typically I go with clear water, no drop for two consecutive nights.

Yes I have fallen below 3.5 a few times but not for long. Typically I will test at night and adjust. I've had a few nights where I've been below 3.5 so from morning to evening it gets burnt off more than I expected.

I guess I could shock again and see what that does.

I am wondering if tree growth may be a contributor. Yes have grown more over the pool. Maybe trimming them back might help
The debris dropped by trees will contain all kinds of biologicals that will increase FC use. But again, once the debris hits the water and the biologicals are dead, the debris is mostly inert even if it sits on the bottom of the pool, the skimmer or the filter.

However, with this extra FC load you may need to maintain a higher FC margins above the minimum so as to prevent FC from dropping below minimums right before re-dosing. In general, manual dosing usually requires higher targets than the automated methods because the FC swings tend to be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.