How much will trichlor shock screw with your CYA?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I finally got my CYA levels balanced, I was up around 80, drained (too much) water and dropped it down in the teens then slowly raised it to 40-50. My main goal was to avoid trichlor at all costs (stopped using feeder) after issues the past few years. The problem is that I ordered the wrong shock and ended up with a box of trichlor flavor. I could return it but I am currently in Covid testing lockdown and want to use my pool this weekend. Anyhow I am curious how high trichlor shock can raise CYA levels on it's own. I used the recommended amount yesterday (so I haven't tested it yet) but a bit paranoid and curious if my CYA levels may raise and if so by how much. If it's not much I wouldn't mind using up the six pounds that I have prior to buying the correct type.

Thanks =)

For every 10 ppm FC you add you'll add 6 ppm CYA. So it will mess things up pretty fast but not instantly.

However, CYA wouldn't even be my first concern with trichlor shock. If you got the pure stuff, then it's extremely acidic so you'll have to check your pH and TA and adjust accordingly. However, most trichlor shock isn't pure and is cut with baking soda to counter this acidity. Of course, in the name of profit, it's often cut a bit too much and you end up with a TA spike which will lead to an ongoing pH rise. So either way you're going to have pH problems stemming from using powdered trichlor. Also if you are using the kind that isn't pure then make sure you're accounting for that and not undershooting your chlorine level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.