Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi friends, I have a 3 hp VSP and a 320 filter (Pentair for both). I currently run my pump at 2400 for four hours each day. I’d like to learn if I can run it slower. I do have a heater, but use it sparingly. Does the filter require a certain Rpm from the pump to be effective? I was considering lowering it to 1700-1800. The PSI of my filter is 10 when I am running my pump at 2400 and it is almost 0-2 when I’m at 1700. Thanks for the guidance.

Edit: also, does running the pump slower increase it’s lifespan? This equipment is from 2016.

Does the filter require a certain Rpm from the pump to be effective?
Slower is better.
also, does running the pump slower increase it’s lifespan?
One would think so, but there is no actual data.

Run the pump at an RPM that skims the surface of the pool. Run it long enough to keep the pool as clean as you like.

Reactions: kul
After learning my SWCG will operate as low as 820rpm's, I just recently dropped my pump speed from 1,500 to 1,100rpm's. Since it uses less than half the power at that lower speed, I doubled the run time.

Kul,

My filter pressure is about 1 lb. when I am running at 1200 RPM. At that speed the filter works fine, my skimmers work and my SWCG works.

The main reason to run your pump for more than a few hours is to skim or to generate chlorine if you have a SWCG or tab feeder.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Just as a reference, I have three IntelliFlo pumps that run 24/7 at about 1200 RPM, most the time. One of them is over 10 years old, one is over 7 years old and the one at my house is over 6 years old. They still work like new.

There is no data that says they will last longer if run slower, but I doubt going from 2400 RPM to 1700 RPM, would make much of a lifespan difference, one way or the other...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: kul
How are you chlorinating your pool?
I use liquid chlorine.
I thought I had to run my pump at 2400 because otherwise the filter won’t filter enough water (told this by pool guy that I had used prior to TFP).
Seems I’m fine to run it at 1700 or lower speed since it’s main function is skimming the pool.

I’ve ran the heater at 1700-1800 overnight a few times without issue so it should be fine. I just wasn’t sure if making that my routine speed would be problematic.

Electric motors "like" either one of two states; off (in which case it will last forever, but why?) or on (with no overload). This is what I was taught at A.O.Smith motor university class. Even the bearings can last for decades (plural) if they are not contaminated or damaged by water intrusion.
The first VSP I installed was in 2007 (I believe, could have been earlier, they had just been released). It was the old Pentair with 4 speed buttons and no controller. It was installed on a fountain that runs 24/7 at a very low speed (there is no speed indicator on the control panel, just a number). We turned the speed down to give the fountain a very pleasant flow. Still running today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.