How long to heat the pool if. . . . .

Carolm

Jan 28, 2020
San Juan Capistrano, CA
  • How long to heat the pool if. . . . . . .
  • The size of your pool IS 13,000 GALLONS with a depth range from 3.5 to 5'
  • Your pool water temperature in January averages 52 degrees
  • Your pool is an IG
  • Your pool is Plaster
  • Your filter is a 500 sf Cartridge
  • Your pump is a Pentair 3HP Intelliflow VSF
  • Your pool has a Pentair 400 Master Temp Heater Dual Thermostat
  • Your pool is less then a year old.
  • Your Water Test kit is a PoolMaster 5-way test kit
  • Your pool has no spa, just a pool sweep and the depth is 3.5 to 5'

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Most of what you list has no effect on heating your pool. To retain the heat, the most important thing is to cover the pool.
Can you help us understand how you have an AG (Above Ground Pool) that is plaster?
To heat one pound of water one degree F takes one BTU. You have 108,000 pounds of water. So your heater (at 80% efficiency) will raise your pool temperature about 3 degF per hour.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Most of what you list has no effect on heating your pool. To retain the heat, the most important thing is to cover the pool.
Can you help us understand how you have an AG (Above Ground Pool) that is plaster?
To heat one pound of water one degree F takes one BTU. You have 108,000 pounds of water. So your heater (at 80% efficiency) will raise your pool temperature about 3 degF per hour.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. We have an in-ground pool, not above-ground. Clearly wasn't thinking when I wrote that. Interesting tho, that most of the info not relevant as I copied the and pasted the list from a reply to a similar post that said those factors would help to determine the answer to the same question. Go figure. We've yet to get a pool cover. On the list. Thank you again!

Carol,

In addition to the heat required to increase the water temp you will need to offset evaporation heat loss while heating the water up. Then once you get to the desired level you'll need to add heat lost due to evaporation to maintain the temp. Evaporation loss is very dependent on surface area and wind velocity at the surface. At average conditions in the range you describe with approx 1 mph wind you'll also have to add a little under 20K Btu/Hr. For 10 mph that number soars to a little over 60 KBtu/Hr.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.