Dec 24, 2022
Richmond CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone.
First timer getting ready to set up the hot tub. Assuming it will take me awhile to figure out how to do the tests and add the chemicals per this forum’s general advice.
Including all the testing and waiting after chlorine, etc., how long should it take from start to finish? I’m curious from experienced users how long it took you the first time vs. how long it takes you now to get from empty tub to getting in the tub?

Hi everyone.
First timer getting ready to set up the hot tub. Assuming it will take me awhile to figure out how to do the tests and add the chemicals per this forum’s general advice.
Including all the testing and waiting after chlorine, etc., how long should it take from start to finish? I’m curious from experienced users how long it took you the first time vs. how long it takes you now to get from empty tub to getting in the tub?
If viewing it as a small pool once it’s full maybe a few hours?
If it’s fresh clean water as long as your chlorine is good in theory you Can get in.

Just use pool math and don’t add too much of anything until you retest.

Really just depends on how long it takes to get to a comfortable temp- depending upon the tub it could be overnight or a few hours.
Get Ph in the 7’s
& fc in target range for cya FC/CYA Levels & go for it.
The rest can be adjusted over time (ta & ch if needed.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Really just depends on how long it takes to get to a comfortable temp- depending upon the tub it could be overnight or a few hours.
Get Ph in the 7’s
& fc in target range for cya FC/CYA Levels & go for it.
The rest can be adjusted over time (ta & ch if needed.
I think what you might be saying is that heating up the water takes longer than adjusting the chemicals does (although I’m still interested in how long on average it takes people to get their tubs functionally balanced). I have 110v power to my 150gal spa. I believe the previous owner said it takes about 8 hours to heat up

I think what you might be saying is that heating up the water takes longer than adjusting the chemicals does (although I’m still interested in how long on average it takes people to get their tubs functionally balanced). I have 110v power to my 150gal spa. I believe the previous owner said it takes about 8 hours to heat up

Heated about 3.5 - 4 degrees per hour, basically overnight. Maybe 3-4 days getting it dialed in on TA and PH. A 110V tub might heat slower, or not at all with jets running.

I'd think there are lots of threads here about both startup and issues, but it might be best to read the stickies pinned to the top of this forum.

Reactions: Spatropy
Fill, purge, drain, refill, test all parameters & record them
- add what PoolMath says to get ph in the 7’s & fc to 3-5ppm (since you won’t have any cya yet) then replenish as needed to be sure you never fall below minimum for your calculated cya.
Follow this guide 👇
Lowering ta to the 50-60 range takes time depending upon your starting ta so it’s not something you have do immediately nor should you attempt it in one shot.
If you start out with a very low ta (40 or less) you should use baking soda to increase it to around 60 but that is uncommon.
As mentioned in the guide posted above you should use 99% dichlor to chlorinate until your cya reaches 30ppm then switch to liquid chlorine- always follow the FC/CYA Levels
Be aware of the acidic effects of the dichlor before also adding acid - use PoolMath effects of adding to see its effects on all parameters.

Fill, purge, drain, refill, test all parameters & record them
- add what PoolMath says to get ph in the 7’s & fc to 3-5ppm (since you won’t have any cya yet) then replenish as needed to be sure you never fall below minimum for your calculated cya.
Follow this guide 👇
Lowering ta to the 50-60 range takes time depending upon your starting ta so it’s not something you have do immediately nor should you attempt it in one shot.
If you start out with a very low ta (40 or less) you should use baking soda to increase it to around 60 but that is uncommon.
As mentioned in the guide posted above you should use 99% dichlor to chlorinate until your cya reaches 30ppm then switch to liquid chlorine- always follow the FC/CYA Levels
Be aware of the acidic effects of the dichlor before also adding acid - use PoolMath effects of adding to see its effects on all parameters.
Thanks. I’ve read the “How do I use chlorine” sticky, and I notice that the recommended levels for that article are different than PoolMath (example: as you and the sticky say 3-5ppm FC, but Pool Math says 1-3ppm. Also, the sticky recommends CH at 130-150, but pool math recommends 250-650)

Thanks. I’ve read the “How do I use chlorine” sticky, and I notice that the recommended levels for that article are different than PoolMath (example: as you and the sticky say 3-5ppm FC, but Pool Math says 1-3ppm. Also, the sticky recommends CH at 130-150, but pool math recommends 250-650)

Reading through threads and posting asking for advice tends to help with clarifications. That cya chart is a pretty good guide, but ch isn't necessary for an acrylic tub even though it helps with foaming issues.

We have one contributor, Matt, who makes a very strong case for dumping and starting over when balancing or other issues present. Think about it, paying (many?) thousands for a tub, more for 220v power and slab, maybe getting a rash instead of wasting less than $100 a year on refill water. I stretched mine 6 months, but I agree with Matt I'm behaving foolishly...

(edit: pointing---> posting ... spellle chekers)

Last edited:
At zero cya poolmath is likely using the minimum ever recommended fc level .
Once you use dichlor you add some cya so that very low reccomendation immediately changes so take it into account before hand. For every 1 ppm of fc dichlor adds it also adds approximately 1ppm of cya.
It is also advisable to always have more than 1ppm fc even if you currently have zero cya as fc gets depleted rapidly as soon as bathers are introduced into a spa so you want to shore your bets so falling below minimum never occurs before you can replenish. Theres also standby fc demand to account for.
There are notes about recommended residual fc amounts in the original chart here
👇

Chlorine/CYA Chart
7721B700-7F2E-4844-B834-07DED1D01E7D.jpeg6A48FD1A-FB55-4318-A818-BC08AEACB9AC.jpeg
Having 20-30 ppm of cya affords you the ability to have high enough starting fc levels to remain above minimum for an average soak without being too harsh on bathers & equipment/surfaces.
Starting with 0 cya & 2ppm fc for instance could put you in the no no zone & allow nasties to proliferate in as little as a 30 minute 1 person soak- leaving you to try & play catch up & trying to eliminate elevated cc’s (not advised).
With no cya involved fc levels above 5ppm are kinda harsh so you can see the quandry this presents for long relaxing soaks.
I personally initially raise fc to 10ppm with dichlor (taking into account its effect on ph) then by the time the tub is warmed up the following day the fc has lowered a dab, i can have a soak then raise it back to 10ppm again- at this point i now have approximately 15ppm or so cya in the tub. I do this a couple more times then let my swg take over & supplement with bleach as needed. These acidic dichlor additions assist in lowering my ph & subsequently my TA then I do the rest of the work with Muriatic acid when dichlor is no longer needed.

As for ch - use vinyl as your pool type in Poolmath.
Low to no ch is fine, if foaming is an issue you can increase in increments of 50ppm until it goes away up to around 150ppm usually, no need for adding more than that.
Too much ch can present a scaling condition if ph is too high also which can happen frequently in a spa.
For reference My ch is 25 - it is fine. I don’t add ch.
To Recap :
*Don’t try to skirt minimum fc levels, nasties will proliferate & things will turn sour quickly. You want to be proactive with fc not reactive.
* Do take into consideration all the effects of each dichlor addition BEFOREHAND
* ch in acrylic spas is generally a do not add situation unless there’s foaming then up to 150ppm is generally sufficient, if ch is naturally higher than 400 or so consider using softened water instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are notes about recommended residual fc amounts in the original chart here
👇

Chlorine/CYA Chart
View attachment 466818View attachment 466819

Low to no ch is fine, if foaming is an issue you can increase in increments of 50ppm until it goes away up to around 150ppm usually, no need for adding more than that.
Too much ch can present a scaling condition if ph is too high also which can happen frequently in a spa.

* ch in acrylic spas is generally a do not add situation unless there’s foaming then up to 150ppm is generally sufficient, if ch is naturally higher than 400 or so consider using softened water instead.

I believe the "original chart" you refer to was Ben Powell's from his forum about 20 -30 years ago. He maintained pools for celebrities (very cool story about Dicck Van Dike 🙂). It wasn't "tuned" for hot tubs, at least not then.

Good advice on watching fc carefully, but I think from empirical evidence in my tub the threshold where ch goes from help to hindrance is a bit more touchy than your increment suggests. For me at least, 100 - 120 wasn't helping much, and low 140's precipitated (only my opinion so far, but will conclude testing to try and confirm this week).

Maybe that suggests ch is controversial too (like ozone)? Still, I didn't bump up against the foaming issue until "passing" Matt's suggested "time to dump" recommendation...

@JoyfulNoise hope you dont mind the reference...

@Mdragger88, very nice, detailed explanation on fc concerns (I tend toward a lazy reference to the stickies :neutral:)

Hi everyone.

Temperature is the long pole in the tent for me. In the summer, if I drain and fill early enough I can have it up to temp for a evening soak. In the colder months it is usually an overnight thing.

As for chemicals, I have them mostly balanced and ready for use in under an hour.

Getting pH and TA to stabilize takes about a week of not doing anything special, just adding acid, letting the pH rise, repeat then it stabilizes, but the tub is still fine to used during that time period.

Temperature is the long pole in the tent for me. In the summer, if I drain and fill early enough I can have it up to temp for a evening soak. In the colder months it is usually an overnight thing.

As for chemicals, I have them mostly balanced and ready for use in under an hour.

Getting pH and TA to stabilize takes about a week of not doing anything special, just adding acid, letting the pH rise, repeat then it stabilizes, but the tub is still fine to used during that time period.
Thank you! This is helpful

Reactions: phonedave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.