Jd21476

Jun 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So we broke ground on Feb 3rd for a free form pool with an 8’ deep end. Its 37’ long 18’ wide and an 8’ diameter hot tub. Its not the end of May and were not done yet. It seema like my contractor shows up and does a few things like once a week and then we dont see him again for a week to 10 days.

The hole is dug, the pool cemented, pipes and electrical is run, the surrounding cement and overhang it done and the tile is laid. Were supposed to have equipment installed this week and then mini-pebble sprayed but I still feel there are other things to be done. Is 4 months or more reasonable AND why such long delays between doing some work?

All pool builders are having delays. Probably depends on the area, how many jobs your builder has going and how much pull they have with their subs.

We are about 2 weeks behind schedule as of right now. Broke ground April 30. Plumbing, electrical conduit, and water lines have been trenched and set for 10 days. We have gunite coming tomorrow. PB said we are about a week out for tile and decking crew after the gunite is done tomorrow. From what I'm gathering, our build is not the norm as far as speed goes. Our builder has a really good relationship with his subs, and they prioritize his jobs.

I have done an owner-build twice now. My first one took 79 days from dig to water. This one is on target for about 76-days. I am beating PBs on this build because I am laser focused on it whereas a PB can't be. I am lining things up in advance, keeping all of my subs very much in the loop, and I have gotten lucky. But, I suspect in cases where I am telling my plumbers "gunite is planning to be done in 2-weeks", most PBs are so slammed that they are telling their plumber the day gunite is done and then the plumber has to work it in their schedule.

On the flip side of that, I manage projects for work. Myself and my team are currently over-loaded. I cannot keep up with the minutiae the way I am doing on my pool. I have often thought throughout this process that if I could focus on any one project at work in this way, I would be a super-duper-rock star.

Your equipment is likely a big struggle right now as it's hard to get. Hang in there, you're almost to the finish line.

We built a slightly smaller pool last year, minus the spa, and ours took 15-16 weeks from dig to plaster. From my sample size of one, it seemed like the quoted time to completion was best case scenario and this year has been anything but. I remember how frustrating it was though to stare at the big, expensive hole in the ground, especially when weeks of perfect weather would pass with zero work.

It will all be worth it in the end!

I’m in week 19 since hoa approval 15 weeks since the dig.

No end in sight. Originally told 16 weeks from dig. I’m starting to think late July now. 7 months from HOA approval and 6 months from dig.

When we went under contract they said about 12 weeks from dig to completion, when HOA approved they said 14. When they dug they said about sixteen. In any event they are going to be 1.5-2 months late.

Its infuriating.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.