How is your Travertine doing with your Salt Water Pool?

My travertine deck will be 3 years old this summer - a swg system. I love it for the appearance and it's much cooler than concrete and pavers. When it was installed, I wanted to wait and see whether to stain or not. I agree with BMK about the wearing of travertine from a salt pool. I've seen no signs of that. After a couple of years, I decided I liked the look of the deck after a rain. The patterns and various colors come out beautifully when wet, so I chose a sealer that would do that. My son and his buddy sealed it for the first time a year ago. They used one coat of Aqua Mix, Enrich 'N' Seal (Home Depot). I loved the look and how water beaded up on it. I didn't find it slippery, but I don't run on the deck or have kids who might!

After a year, it seems most of the sealer has worn away. At least I don't see any more beading, and the colors aren't as deep. I had done research and really liked Dry Treat, but I didn't come across Lithofin when researching. I decided against the Dry Treat due to cost.

Will I reseal? Nope. I have other things to spend my money on. Even the Aqua Mix wasn't cheap although much, much less than Dry Treat. I enjoyed the enhanced color of the stone, but not enough to hire someone to reseal it. At this point, I'm very confident the travertine will continue to hold up just fine without sealing.

I like your thinking!

I don't know what all the fuss is with SWG and stone. My flagstone (unsealed) really looks exactly the same as it did day one 4 years ago. Everyone said that it will be destroyed! At this rate of deterioration I predict that my flagstone will last at least 147 years. I have read tens of thousands of threads on TFP and not one actual example of natural stone being damaged by a saltwater pool. Put in your travertine and run your SWG. If the travertine looks bad in a couple of years then think about sealing it.

Same for the maple floor that we put in the kitchen 10 years ago. Everyone said, oh my! you can't put a wood floor in a kitchen! It will be ruined by all sorts of dastardly things. Still looks great 10 years later.

- - - Updated - - -

Good answer!

My travertine deck will be 3 years old this summer - a swg system. I love it for the appearance and it's much cooler than concrete and pavers. When it was installed, I wanted to wait and see whether to stain or not. I agree with BMK about the wearing of travertine from a salt pool. I've seen no signs of that. After a couple of years, I decided I liked the look of the deck after a rain. The patterns and various colors come out beautifully when wet, so I chose a sealer that would do that. My son and his buddy sealed it for the first time a year ago. They used one coat of Aqua Mix, Enrich 'N' Seal (Home Depot). I loved the look and how water beaded up on it. I didn't find it slippery, but I don't run on the deck or have kids who might!

After a year, it seems most of the sealer has worn away. At least I don't see any more beading, and the colors aren't as deep. I had done research and really liked Dry Treat, but I didn't come across Lithofin when researching. I decided against the Dry Treat due to cost.

Will I reseal? Nope. I have other things to spend my money on. Even the Aqua Mix wasn't cheap although much, much less than Dry Treat. I enjoyed the enhanced color of the stone, but not enough to hire someone to reseal it. At this point, I'm very confident the travertine will continue to hold up just fine without sealing.

I just put in a new pool with tumbled travertine deck and coping. I loved the stone. Until they sealed it. Now I hate it. It darker, more slippery, and water beads on it instead of soaking in and drying, the surface feels unnatural and waxy to me now. I’d rather have pitting and staining.

Sorry I meant sealant not stain. If you want to grind it that will do the job but if it was only stained recently I do think you might be happier with it once it accumulates some wear and tear. My surface does not seem waxy at all. Feels just like it did beforehand underfoot. Even when wet and beads it still has the same traction and feel to it. This surprised me as it looked like it would feel slick.

New to this thread and looking to seal my pool before closing. SWG system and Travertine coping. Installed June 2018.
I got the Stonetech Salt Water Resistant Sealer, but when reading the fine print it states "NOT intended for use on surfaces that have been previously been exposed to salt water and/or de-icing salts"

What the heck???

After reading these posts I am thinking to not seal now. They recommended the Stonetech Heavy Duty Exterior Sealer"

My question is that most people are in warmer states. Anyone have experience in the NorthEast with freezing during the winter? I'm a little concerned about the freeze thaw cycle. If there are some open holes or gets through the grout, will I have any issues?

Closing in 4 days.... :)

As someone who built a pool 15 years ago using mexican travertine, let me share my personal experience and some pics:

we noticed after a few years certain stones was erroding while others were perfectly fine. Not sure what caused that but to prevent further errosion I eventually had to apply a clear sealer (deck-o-seal). When you do that some stones became slippery, causing us to add some micro sphere traction beads to restore the non treated level of traction. I’ve done 2 applications over 5 years and about ready to redo again. To be honest, even with the additional maintenance, I prefer the look over any other stone. In retrospect, I wish I would have sealed it earlier since some errosion was significant before I realized it and took action. We’ve had no further errosion since treating so all is good now. A benefit of sealing is it tends to bring out the color of the stone as well. Here’s a pic of one that didn’t hold up well and one that did. not sure why one behaved different than the other. Maybe others have an idea.

C4990B8D-5D23-4A54-8CF0-7793CC30FCF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ellsian
As someone who built a pool 15 hears ago using mexican travertine, let me share my personal experience and some pics:

we noticed after a few years certain stones was erroding while others were perfectly fine. Not sure what caused that but to prevent further errosion I eventually had to apply a clear sealer (deck-o-seal). When you do that some stones became slippery,causing us to add some micro sphere traction beads to restore the none treated level of traction. I’ve done 2 applications over 2 years and about ready to redo again. To be honest, even with the additional maintenance, I prefer the look over any other stone. In retrospect, I wish I would have sealed it earlier since some errosion was significant before I realized it and took action. We’ve had no further errosion since treating so all is good now. A be efit of sealing is it tends to bring out the color of the stone as well. Here’s a pic of one that didn’t hold up well and one that did. not sure why one behaved different than the other. Maybe others have an idea.

View attachment 143626

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you explain the process that you used for sealing the stone?

Was the damage limited to your coping, or did you also notice any damage to the deck?

90% of damage was to the coping edge and it occurred on 4 or 5 stones but one tile only had substantial damage to the surface Too. Since I bought extra stones eventually I’ll probably replace it one day. My theory3BE69502-04C6-4475-AD1F-27131EDDA0BF.jpeg is some stone is harder than others and The softer ones exhibit the most damage. My recommendation when buying is order 3 or 4 extras for a rainey day that way in case something gets damaged, you can easily replace with a perfectly matching piece of stone.

As to how to seal just rinse and dirt off and let if fully dry. Then follow the deck-o-seal instructions on mixing and apply with a paintbrush. Definitely add traction aide (microspheres) to prevent the stone from becoming slippery. My 1st application was without it and I Dang near fell on my butt a few times. Had to go back over with the stuff added a few days later.

As to how to seal just rinse and dirt off and let if fully dry. Then follow the deck-o-seal instructions on mixing and apply with a paintbrush. Definitely add traction aide (microspheres) to prevent the stone from becoming slippery. My 1st application was without it and I Dang near fell on my butt a few times. Had to go back over with the stuff added a few days later.
This product?

DECK-O-SHIELD - Concrete Deck, Waterfall & Natural Stone Sealer - Deck-O-Seal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
90% of damage was to the coping edge and it occurred on 4 or 5 stones but one tile only had substantial damage to the surface Too. Since I bought extra stones eventually I’ll probably replace it one day. My theoryView attachment 143629 is some stone is harder than others and The softer ones exhibit the most damage. My recommendation when buying is order 3 or 4 extras for a rainey day that way in case something gets damaged, you can easily replace with a perfectly matching piece of stone.
Oh wow, thanks for letting us know! Interesting. I'll have to see if in a few more years I start noticing the same ? I have yet to apply any sealer to my own decking/coping. Hmm, my coping is not rounded and smooth though, it's the same tumbled tile as the patio, so it already has a rough appearance to it. I'll have to take pictures and compare in a few more years!

Inquiring minds need to know!

Especially if you live in a very hot area (AZ, TX, etc), and have kept your travertine and SWG for a long time now :)

Are there any problems? Does it look as good as the day you put it in? Or is it awful and falling apart, and you wish you had a time machine to undo this atrocity?! :drown:

I'm *this* close to swapping over to full travertine for my build, but using a SWG and reading the internet is really scaring me. My other idea is to keep a concrete coping that's acid washed and color matched to a travertine deck. The idea being that the coping would survive, and the deck would be somewhat less exposed and easier to replace specific pavers on.

TFP! Please share your stories about the infamous Salt Water Chlorine Generator (aka, destroyer of all pool hopes and dreams).
We have had our pool for 5 years now. Travertine has had no ill effects from SWG.

I think alot depends on where it’s quarried. As above some stones seem impervious and some don’t. I did notice the ones that looked like they had a little quartz in them were bulletproof where those that more resembled sandstone experiemced errosion.

Ellsian, the great news. Did you seal it? If so how many times in 5 years?
We sealed it last year for the 1st time. I think we will try another company next time. We were trying to give it a bit more shine/color pop as it normally does when wet but if you seal it too think it could become slippery. In any case, I debated over the same that you are when we built but I am so glad we did travertine. It looks different and luxurious, stays cool and has just the right amount of grip. We have 7 kids and I can't recall anyone ever slipping but there is not a lot of room either and running around may be more common in a larger deck area.

Attachments

• 20160415_171057.jpg
    20160415_171057.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160415_171117.jpg
    20160415_171117.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160528_110627.jpg
    20160528_110627.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 71
We sealed it last year for the 1st time. I think we will try another company next time. We were trying to give it a bit more shine/color pop as it normally does when wet but if you seal it too think it could become slippery. In any case, I debated over the same that you are when we built but I am so glad we did travertine. It looks different and luxurious, stays cool and has just the right amount of grip. We have 7 kids and I can't recall anyone ever slipping but there is not a lot of room either and running around may be more common in a larger deck area.
Your travertine is beautiful.

What did you use for grout?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.