How is your Travertine doing with your Salt Water Pool?

I've had my SWG for just about a month. .

Espejo - Welcome to the salt caravan. :) Your builder was dead against SWG's - which probably is the only reason I did not go with them. I really liked the salesperson.

We have the travertine / SWG combo too. After a lot of research, we decided against sealing too. Worst case scenario - we have to pull up and replace a few tiles. I was a bit worried about a sealer making it a bit more slippery too - so its au-naturale for us :)

Hi guys, two years later I wanted to check in with those of you that dared to keep the travertine unsealed. How is it holding up?

Also is there any difference between limestone and travertine? We just found out that our preferred travertine selection for our new pool build is actually a limestone.

Travertine is a form of limestone. We are sealing ours, but were not going to until pb pretty much insisted. We are using a good product with a 20 year manufacturing warranty if applied by an authorised installer, which we are. Apparently will not change the look or slip resistance and reviews I had read on the product back this up. No need to recoat. We will see. We are doing it more to protect the grout rather than stone and for ease of cleaning.

Travertine is a form of limestone. We are sealing ours, but were not going to until pb pretty much insisted. We are using a good product with a 20 year manufacturing warranty if applied by an authorised installer, which we are. Apparently will not change the look or slip resistance and reviews I had read on the product back this up. No need to recoat. We will see. We are doing it more to protect the grout rather than stone and for ease of cleaning.
Can you please tell me Which product are you using? We are going to install marble pavers and we have a SWG. I think it's best to seal it.

The installer had 6 products to choose from. We went with Lithofin. Not sure of the exact product in the range though. It is a German product and the installer likes it as they also offer products for aftercare. Twenty year warranty. Our pb has been using this installer for 5 years and not one call back re paving/stains/problems. Installer also likes dry treat, which he said is an American product with a 15 year warranty when professionally installed. I am still not 100% convinced but looking at the pros and cons (which I’ve been doing since November) we will seal. Already have a couple of marks from a small tree that is no where near the pool... we culled all trees and shrubs in the vicinity for this reason and not wanting leaves in the pool. Really hoping the installer can remove the little stains before he seals.

My ideal combination is an SWG pool with the white Freska limestone coping and decking. Apparently this is the exact wrong thing to do in Texas? My husband says he thinks I intentionally choose the least practical option possible. As an engineer, he finds this particularly irksome.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our travertine has oyster shells throughout - I'm guessing that it is salt tolerant since these shells were in salt water before becoming embedded in rock. At just a few months old, it is far too early to tell if we will have any issues - but, given it appears this was created in natural salt rich environments, we decided not to seal it.

Which of the StoneTech sealers did you guys apply? I see there is BulletProof and a specific one just for Salt Water. I would like something that also prevents staining from leaves and berries that birds might drop, not as much worried about the salt ...

It's often pointed out that the salinity of a balanced pool is about equal to that of human tears. So it's hard for me to believe then that the same level of salinity that's perfectly healthy for soft human tissue, will eat through solid rock.

I just put in a new pool with tumbled travertine deck and coping. I loved the stone. Until they sealed it. Now I hate it. It darker, more slippery, and water beads on it instead of soaking in and drying, the surface feels unnatural and waxy to me now. I’d rather have pitting and staining.

I just put in a new pool with tumbled travertine deck and coping. I loved the stone. Until they sealed it. Now I hate it. It darker, more slippery, and water beads on it instead of soaking in and drying, the surface feels unnatural and waxy to me now. I’d rather have pitting and staining.

Which stain did you use? We had our paving sealed the week before last and there is absolutely no change in slipperiness. I have tested left over pieces that I have tested against. I did think maybe it looked ever so slightly different on some angles afterwards but I noticed this after the deep clean they gave it and before the seal so I think it was just the removal of the dust and dirt on top. Now that it’s been a couple of weeks they must have accumulated a bit of dust and dirt again because I don’t see that any more. I would give it a week or two and see if you’re still seeing and feeling the same thing. If you are talk to your installer. The work should be warrantied if done by a licensed installer.

They used salt water sealer I think DuPont not sure. No stain just sealer.. they sprayed it on with a hand pump sprayer and then wiped off. I tried a bunch of chemicals to try and remove it but nothing worked. I sanded a few stones with 60 grit sandpaper and this brought the natural surface back. We are going to use a palm sander and a 50 grit diamond pad to refinish the entire thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.