DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a IC40 Intellichlor and this is a new pool 9/21 and the SWG didn't get fired up till 10/21. So I haven't had to deal with hot days in DFW to find a sweet spot for the SWG.
I ran a boost the other day because chlorine was 1.0 or so. Now it is at 80% for a couple days and I'm tracking that for a couple more days. It's around 1.5is, maybe on my small test kit. Going to order a better kit.

jp,

You should never use the SWCG to get from zero FC up to your target. You should use liquid chlorine to initially get your FC where you want it, and then use the SWCG to keep it there.

What is your CYA and how big is your pool in gallons??

How many hours a day are you running the pump/cell?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jp4LSU
THanks Jim, I agree. Reading thru pool school I had planned on getting Liquid Chlorine. I don't have a reading for CYA, I need a test kit that is capable. I might run it down to the pool store and get it tested when I get the liquid chlorine.
Pool is 16-17k
I'm running pool 9 hrs/day.

might run it down to the pool store and get it tested when I get the liquid chlorine.
You can do that for the fun of it, but it would be better if you didn't take any action based on the numbers you get.

Get your test kit and post up your numbers.

9hrs/day @100% in 16.5kgal is 3.8ppm of FC. That's not an unreasonable amount. Add 5ppm of LC to your pool and then see how FC holds while you wait for your kit. Add more LC as necessary in the meantime.

Reactions: jp4LSU
For reference. I'm in west texas. It's been 101-107 and my pool is 90degs. Edge40 @ 62.5% and pump @ 2100rpm both 24/7 and my FC is holding around a 7-9 with CYA @ 70

For further reference...

Pool is 13,000 gallons. Water temp 87. I run my pump 14.5 hours per day with IC40 set at 20%. My CYA is 70. FC is 4.5-5.0. I bumped my cell up to 22% this morning because I'm now leaving the cover off all day (still covered at night) and FC dropped a little recently.

Every pool is different and require different amounts of chlorine based on a variety of factors (water temp, pool size, pump run time, salt cell output, cover, swim activity, rain, CYA level, etc, etc).

It took me a couple weeks to get my salt cell output dialed in because I kept messing with my pump run times while experimenting with my in floor cleaning system. My pump run time schedule has stayed the same for a month now so I'm now just fine tuning the salt cell output about once a week as the weather warms up and I change how I'm using my pool cover. I'm only making small adjustments of around 2% each time.

For further reference...

Pool is 13,000 gallons. Water temp 87. I run my pump 14.5 hours per day with IC40 set at 20%. My CYA is 70. FC is 4.5-5.0. I bumped my cell up to 22% this morning because I'm now leaving the cover off all day (still covered at night) and FC dropped a little recently.

Every pool is different and require different amounts of chlorine based on a variety of factors (water temp, pool size, pump run time, salt cell output, cover, swim activity, rain, CYA level, etc, etc).

It took me a couple weeks to get my salt cell output dialed in because I kept messing with my pump run times while experimenting with my in floor cleaning system. My pump run time schedule has stayed the same for a month now so I'm now just fine tuning the salt cell output about once a week as the weather warms up and I change how I'm using my pool cover. I'm only making small adjustments of around 2% each time.
Yea I forgot swimmer load. That's a big factor. We're in our pool everyday 2-8hrs at a time. I also have a 5yr old that'll start chuckling, swim over and tell me he just peed the pool.:scratch:

OK, thanks for some reference points. I was running around 40% then FC dropped after a weekend of swimming. I dropped a tab in the skimmer, The forum gently slapped me on the hand for doing that.
I ran a 100% boost for half the day. I'm now running at 60% and will be going to grab some chlorine this evening.
Is 3 FC the ideal?
My TA is around 70-80. Calcium is high around 450 last I had it checked.
I'm adding about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per week of acid.

Thanks for the reference on your SWG. Lineman7, 90deg already. Geez I thought mine was getting a little warm at 82. So do you guys like to run slow for longer on the pump and turn the SWG down a bit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the FC clear up Jim. The crappy test kit I have is only telling combined chlorine I guess?
Ok, I had a test kit saved in Amazon that was recommended here. It is not in my list now, what kits are most of you using?
Pool store I usually go to just has the crappy kit that I have.

So do you guys like to run slow for longer on the pump and turn the SWG down a bit?
That's totally up to the individual. Faster pump speeds and longer run times clean your water better (because more water is going through your filter/skimmer) at the expense of higher electric bills.

I would decide the pump rpm and run time you want first for adequate filtering/skimming. Once you figure that out, simply adjust the salt cell output to achieve whatever FC you are shooting for based on CYA levels.

Based on what I've read here over the past six months I'd say most people with salt cells run their variable speed pumps for 8-16 hours per day at 1,200-1,500rpm.

Reactions: Newdude
+1. I didn't want to fiddle with mine so I ran 24/7 and only had to adjust cell % (runtime) occasionally. The byproduct of not having fine adjustments is I had to either overproduce a bit, or underproduce. The byproduct chosing to run 'hot' was that I saw my first algae when the cell reached end of life 6.5 years later and I had no clue what to do about chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.