South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just self installed my Intellichlor IC40 thanks to all the help from everyone here at TFP. Yesterday I tested my levels with a Taylor salt kit (450ppm) then added 6, 40lb bags according to pool math app. Was happy when I retested an hour or so later and it was at 3300ppm. IC40 was showing 3600 but I was trusting the taylor

Woke up this morning and the IC40 was showing 4300ppm and when I went to verify with the Taylor, I get 4800ppm! Guessing I had some more absorption over the next 24 hours. The cell light isn’t flashing on the IC40 for high salt and it seems to be doing it’s thing. (FC was spot on this evening which was so cool!!)

Question is, am I risking any damage to cell running the salt level that high? Should I drain a bit or just leave it alone as long as the intellichlor says it’s ok with it?

J,

Too late now, but you should never add all the salt you think you need at once. You add about 3/4 of it and then remeasure. And it takes at least 24 hours before the salt is fully mixed with the water. Measuring after one hour is just a waste of reagents. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Too late now, but you should never add all the salt you think you need at once. You add about 3/4 of it and then remeasure. And it takes at least 24 hours before the salt is fully mixed with the water. Measuring after one hour is just a waste of reagents. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yep…learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately. Excitement/impatience definitely got the best of me. Just want to make sure the cell is ok to operate at 4800 or if I needed to drain anything. It did a great job today at about 50% for 9 hours.

Reactions: Newdude and ajw22
It's the best way. You only do it once. I'm sure you read those details about 42 times. One goof and it's all stored into permanent memory. (y)
Yep its burned in my brain now. You think I’m ok to run at 4800 as long as the cell is not warning of high salt? And just naturally print it come down with splash out and rain?

No problemo. You're gonna taste it a bit more but that's it. You get something like 54 inches a year of precipitation (pretty much a free water exchange) and spring is a good chunk of the yearly total. You won't be in the higher range for very long.

The cell knows its limits and will complain when need be. If it's happy, you're happy. It's just like any of our other ranges. You are either in range, or not. You are in range.

Reactions: jlamb5990
No problemo. You're gonna taste it a bit more but that's it. You get something like 54 inches a year of precipitation (pretty much a free water exchange) and spring is a good chunk of the yearly total. You won't be in the higher range for very long.

The cell knows its limits and will complain when need be. If it's happy, you're happy. It's just like any of out other ranges. You are either in range, or not. You are in range.
Perfect. Sounds like I actually may be adding more sooner than I think 😂

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.