How do you measure your chlorine

Rq120

May 3, 2019
Florida
Hi All,

What do you use to measure your chlorine? I'm looking to see if anyone has a great measuring device that they love to use or have any recommendations. Or do most people just pour our of a jug and guesstimate? I use 2.5 gal containers right now and it is difficult to estimate amounts and it is hard to pour out of. I could switch to gal jugs but the 2.5 gals are cheaper to re-fill. Looking for any recommendations so I don't have to explore the stores or online for something that would be best to use.

I like the clear jugs for this reason as it's easy to see the level and simple to create a calibrated reference. With your bottles you will have to transfer to measure.

I use the big cups they give you in a hospital.. They are big, thick and marked well...

That said, I tend to not try to be too accurate about how much I add.. Close is more than close enough most of the time.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

What do you use to measure your chlorine?
Uh oh. I guess I'm slacking. For chlorine (bleach) I just pour straight form the bottle. :) My pool typically takes a half gallon at dinner time, so I just pour half the bottle and go. I use a cheap plastic measuring cup for my acid. Easy-peasy.

I'm going to hijack this thread and ask a similar question: what safety precautions is everyone taking with liquid chlorine? I've been wearing gloves since its 10% but maybe that's unnecessary. (I certainly wear gloves and eye protection with muriatic acid, that stuff is foul.)

There is no dosage lower than 1/2 gallon in my world so no reason to measure it out. Pool is on the larger side so 1/2 gallon will raise FC 1.6. I never have a reason to add less than that.

I'm going to hijack this thread and ask a similar question: what safety precautions is everyone taking with liquid chlorine? I've been wearing gloves since its 10% but maybe that's unnecessary. (I certainly wear gloves and eye protection with muriatic acid, that stuff is foul.)
What? Hijack! :rant: :rant: Take alook at this thread for some general safety precautions. Pool Safety - Trouble Free Pool

What everyone elects to do when no one is looking is on them. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought a set of plastic measuring cups (4, 2, and 1 cup) for about $10 at Amazon. I use these for chlorine or MA and I am guilty of still measuring out my chlorine. ;)

I got a glass pyrex (4 cups) because I wasn't sure about chlorine (or MA) and plastic.

what safety precautions is everyone taking with liquid chlorine?

Other than generally being careful and not wearing anything I don't mind splashing, nothing really. I figure even if I somehow dumped it on myself I'm right there at the pool anyway, so I could just hop in. I treat it like I would bleach for clothing, even though I'm using 10% rather than 6%.

NO glass near the pool!
Muriatic acid does not react with plastic. It comes in plastic bottles.

I got a glass pyrex (4 cups) because I wasn't sure about chlorine (or MA) and plastic.

I assumed that since it was stored/shipped in a plastic bottle, the plastic measuring cup would work OK. So far, it has worked for me. However, I didn't do very well in HS chemistry, so I don't take my word on it. :)

What I DO KNOW is that there is NO GLASS ALLOWED within 30 feet of my pool. No if, and's or but's about it!!!!!!

One benefit of a larger pool is you don't need to be very precise. I do either 1/2 gallon (estimated) or a full gallon by pouring directly into the pool.

NO glass near the pool!
Muriatic acid does not react with plastic. It comes in plastic bottles.
The other day I was adding some muriatic acid. I use big, cheap, plastic measuring cup. I measured out some and then started doubting what pool math told me to add, so I checked the app again. Within 15 seconds the plastic measuring cup started to smoke! It didn't do any visible damage, but now I double check my numbers before pouring :)

Within 15 seconds the plastic measuring cup started to smoke! It didn't do any visible damage, but now I double check my numbers before pouring :)

I wonder if this was just the fumes you were seeing. I don't know why it would do anything to the plastic cup since it's usually stored in a plastic jug. :unsure:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.