How do you measure your chlorine

Rq120

May 3, 2019
Florida
Hi All,

What do you use to measure your chlorine? I'm looking to see if anyone has a great measuring device that they love to use or have any recommendations. Or do most people just pour our of a jug and guesstimate? I use 2.5 gal containers right now and it is difficult to estimate amounts and it is hard to pour out of. I could switch to gal jugs but the 2.5 gals are cheaper to re-fill. Looking for any recommendations so I don't have to explore the stores or online for something that would be best to use.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
I like the clear jugs for this reason as it's easy to see the level and simple to create a calibrated reference. With your bottles you will have to transfer to measure.

dallasaggie

Jan 29, 2019
Dallas, TX
I looked around and found this guy from Walmart. I wanted a thick transparent pitcher that I wouldn't be afraid of cracking and would pour easily. I just marked on the outside with sharpie in 2 cup increments - it holds 2 quarts without spilling easily.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

I use the big cups they give you in a hospital.. They are big, thick and marked well...

That said, I tend to not try to be too accurate about how much I add.. Close is more than close enough most of the time.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

dallasaggie

Jan 29, 2019
Dallas, TX
I'm going to hijack this thread and ask a similar question: what safety precautions is everyone taking with liquid chlorine? I've been wearing gloves since its 10% but maybe that's unnecessary. (I certainly wear gloves and eye protection with muriatic acid, that stuff is foul.)

Mr Bruce

TFP Guide
Mar 24, 2014
Greenville, SC
There is no dosage lower than 1/2 gallon in my world so no reason to measure it out. Pool is on the larger side so 1/2 gallon will raise FC 1.6. I never have a reason to add less than that.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I'm going to hijack this thread and ask a similar question: what safety precautions is everyone taking with liquid chlorine? I've been wearing gloves since its 10% but maybe that's unnecessary. (I certainly wear gloves and eye protection with muriatic acid, that stuff is foul.)
What? Hijack! :rant: :rant: Take alook at this thread for some general safety precautions. Pool Safety - Trouble Free Pool

What everyone elects to do when no one is looking is on them. 👌

HeyEng

Silver Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
I bought a set of plastic measuring cups (4, 2, and 1 cup) for about $10 at Amazon. I use these for chlorine or MA and I am guilty of still measuring out my chlorine. ;)

johntniman

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2018
Las Vegas
I got a glass pyrex (4 cups) because I wasn't sure about chlorine (or MA) and plastic.

what safety precautions is everyone taking with liquid chlorine?
Other than generally being careful and not wearing anything I don't mind splashing, nothing really. I figure even if I somehow dumped it on myself I'm right there at the pool anyway, so I could just hop in. I treat it like I would bleach for clothing, even though I'm using 10% rather than 6%.

HeyEng

Silver Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
I got a glass pyrex (4 cups) because I wasn't sure about chlorine (or MA) and plastic.
I assumed that since it was stored/shipped in a plastic bottle, the plastic measuring cup would work OK. So far, it has worked for me. However, I didn't do very well in HS chemistry, so I don't take my word on it. :)

What I DO KNOW is that there is NO GLASS ALLOWED within 30 feet of my pool. No if, and's or but's about it!!!!!!

TheMerk

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa, AZ
The paint measuring buckets sold at Lowe’s or Home Depot work well for this. I have a couple and they go up to 64 oz in 8 oz increments.

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
One benefit of a larger pool is you don't need to be very precise. I do either 1/2 gallon (estimated) or a full gallon by pouring directly into the pool.

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
NO glass near the pool!
Muriatic acid does not react with plastic. It comes in plastic bottles.
The other day I was adding some muriatic acid. I use big, cheap, plastic measuring cup. I measured out some and then started doubting what pool math told me to add, so I checked the app again. Within 15 seconds the plastic measuring cup started to smoke! It didn't do any visible damage, but now I double check my numbers before pouring :)

HeyEng

Silver Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Within 15 seconds the plastic measuring cup started to smoke! It didn't do any visible damage, but now I double check my numbers before pouring :)
I wonder if this was just the fumes you were seeing. I don't know why it would do anything to the plastic cup since it's usually stored in a plastic jug. :unsure: